• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Cherry's Acan Grow Out - subdivide part 2

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we can send to Reefjunkie. He can keep a few for his time and we can go from there. Most of us, I believe are in the other growout so when we ship those out maybe we can do all together and save on shipping.

AS

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure everyone has considered it but having a saw available will be a must-Whoever ends up with them is secondary IMO, the first thing to think about is the ability of getting a saw so the new grower can frag them and return them into the water they came from.

You all have come a long way to jump into something you may wish you had taken a little time in deciding-

I'm just arm chair quarter-backing but hindsight sucks

I've always used a dremmel for chalices and it works fine. Are you guys saying a band saw is a must for acans? Eventually I'll need to frag them so just wanted to plan in advance. Thanks. I've had no experience with acans.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used a dremmel for chalices and it works fine. Are you guys saying a band saw is a must for acans? Eventually I'll need to frag them so just wanted to plan in advance. Thanks. I've had no experience with acans.

I know people that have used dremmels you just need to watch the heat build up, but no more that you do when you frag chalices.
Out of curiosity what bit do you use?

Beerman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people that have used dremmels you just need to watch the heat build up, but no more that you do when you frag chalices.
Out of curiosity what bit do you use?

I have a diamond bit and i drip water when I cut. Have been pretty good with chalices but haven't tried with acans so didn't know if it was harder.

Sounds like we are in agreement the acans go to you Brad. Thanks for you help.

Derek

OP
OP
B

brannock_16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

I hope you all are having a safe and fun Halloween! As for shipping, I was stuck on campus at a conference all day yesterday and was UNABLE to ship. Being in school and working 45+ hours a week I only have Tuesdays to ship out. So the new plan is to have the acans shipped out to Brad this following Tuesday.

I will post the pertinent shipping information, tank parameters and a photo before everything goes out as well. Thanks again for the understanding and have a safe Halloween.

Robert

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frags were shipped yesterday received today and adjusting to the new tank. All looks good and I'll post up some pics in the days to come.
Sorry for not posting earlier it was a crazy day, I had 3 shipments come in today with another coming tomorrow

OP
OP
B

brannock_16

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this go?

Everything went quite smoothly on my end. Frags were double bagged in a fair amount of water, placed in a cardboard box lined with styrofoam, insluated with newspaper, and added a heat pack for insurance.

All of my parameters were within acceptance and reported to Brad. The package was shipped Fed Ex overnight with a 10:30 am delivery. Brad let me know once the acans arrived.

I thank everyone once again for their patience and understanding. And I apologize once more.

Thanks again guys!

Robert

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK guys sorry for the lapse inposting everything seems to be doing good-except one, its the same one that Brannock mentioned fell over or got stung or something, (I have not read every page).
I think it had 4 maybe 4.5heads when I got it, I'm not certain but I have been watching it and it is just slowly disappearing (its the orange in the upper left corner)

sub2.jpg

I think its best to frag the one head that has all healthy tissue surrounding it and get it away from the rest and off that plug. I have no idea what the heck is happening as everything else is doing fine. It would be a guessing game trying to figure it out but I have tried different flow, light intensity etc and it still slowly melts-It is crazy becuase it still takes pellets at feeding time (2-3 times a week) but instead of watching it disappear fragging in my opinion is best.

Anyone have other suggestions?

I've watched SPS do this and as I watched the acro slowly melt away now I frag above the dying part and all is good-I hope that is the case here.

The top 3 and then the leftmost acan is from this group and the other 3 look great-

I'll get better pics of them this weekend but wanted to post "something"
Sorry it had to be a bad post
:pout:

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW-I dod nto frag it yet, I gave it a bath in revive and moved it to another spot with nearly no flow-Nothing looks better but, it also has not gotten worse.

I'm doing all I can guys-sorry it was not as easy as the others

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was supposed to say " I did not frag it yet" :tongue:

So is the following who all is in this 1?

Luvmyacans
Beerman
Zero
Sportfish
Brannock_16

3 of the 4 acans (2 IMO for sure) are able to be fragged-May as well frag them let them heal and grow more heads.

Someone chime in please-

Also the one I mentioned that is on life support still seems no worse, but no better-Hopefully it is making a change for the better, like I said its not getting worse which is great!

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I'm sorry I have neglected this thread, thats not good.
So awhile ago I was mentioning concern with one that seemed to be melting, that stopped and has been doing fine, sadly I have another that is and has been doing this. I actually cut it from the plug it was on and cut the dead skeleton hoping that would make a difference-that has worked in the past but its not doing it.
I dont know what else I can do, I have tried lower flow areas, less light, more flow more light-no change. The part that drives me nuts is it is surrounded by acans, I have about 65 acans all on the same tray and this SOB is the only one pulling this garbage.

Here are some long over due pics

The one thats not doing good;
y3.jpg

another one doing great;
y4.jpg

This one is very nice-IMO;
Y2.jpg

And this is the one that was not doing good but has bounced back-It also is SAWEET!!
xy.jpg

I'll need to get an exact head count as to who all is in this one- ( I have 3 other growouts I'm a grower for so keeping it straight is impossible) but it may be nearing fragging time

Out of curiosity, what did you guys pay per person for this portion? Just curious as it looks like it may only be 3 out of an intial 5 acans you all get-2 of these are as really nice so thats a bonus, (I think)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update- the one that was not looking good has totally melted. 2 of the other 3 are large enough to frag, and the very last pic only has 5 polyps.
Financialreef offered to skip out on that last one so you guys can close this up so there will be a polyp for the other 5 in on it
Tis is who I have as in this one;
Luvmyacans
Zero
Brannock_16
Sportzfish
Beerman
Financialreef

I got a brand new saw yesterday and I will frag the 3 that are left and allow them to heal before shipping them out. If it works out to where I can frag the second one to the bottom where I could keep a frag I'll do so if not I wont try, I want to get this done more than anyone, its sucks when you lose a frag of your own, it sucks worse when its someone elses.
I also ordered shipping containers and heat packs today so I should be able to wrap this up in 2-3 weeks max. I want to really allow plentynof healing time before shipping these out for those thatare only in this GO I'll ship whatever method you want but FedEx has always done me right. My zip is 97233 and you can price out whatever shipping will be, figure a 2 pound box.
For those that are in this AND the other GO figure for a 3 pound box.

Its almost over:clap2:

Last edited:

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bro. Since you have a 400 gallon I was wondering if you had any high end stuff you wanted to sell since shipping anyway. You can PM if you want.

I got 2 frag tanks too LOL

I think my tank is SPS Dominant

FF Reef Ready Grape Juice
ORA Frogskin
Atlantis Halloween Milli
Ice Tort
Unk Sarmentosa
Westside Rose Milli
Upscales Macrolades
Atlantis Shades of Fall
MadMike Milli
Setosa
Greg Hiller Aqua Delight
Westside Shortcake
Palmers Blue Milli
ORA Purple Plasma
GB Shortcake
CC Cali Tort
Greg Hiller Aqua Marine Jewel
ORA Boreallis
Bahama Mama Milli
Frag Farmers Red Robin Stag
SC Strawberry Shortcake Milli
TEC Twilight Dragon
TEC Ice Fire
Westside Bonsai
Tyree Pink Lemonade
Rainbow Magic Milli
TEC 4th of July
BC Stag
CC Hellboy
TEC Aussie Purple Dream
Forest Fire Digi
TEC Sky Blue Caroliniana
Cali Tort
Unknown
Oregon Tort
GB Exotic Blue Speciosa
Green Blue tip Tenius
CC Retnia Blaster Suharsoni
Tyree Red Dragon
Unknown Prostata
Unknown Blue Bottlebrush
Atlantis Licorice Loripes
Midwest Green Turoki
Westside Banana Lokani
Westside Purpleishous
Polar Green Granulosa
GB Acropora jacquelineae
Unknown x5
Jason Fox Grape Juice
Rigles Plum Crazy
SC Orange Sick
FF Shortcake
TEC Hawkins
TEC Purple Poison Shortcake
Greg Hiller Blueberry
Shawn Bennet Yellow Tort
SWF Abrotanoides
SWF Unknown
GB Formosa
Tyree Ponape Rainbow
Westside Rainbow
Larry Jackson Tri color
Tyree Bali Tri color
TEC Aussie Mint and Cream
Tyree Tierra Del Fuego
GB Unknown
BC Turodkey
BC Hellflower Milli
Unk Blue Tort
TEC Pearlberry
BC Medusa’s Bane
BC Snipers Bubblegum Milli
Jose Rainbow
ORA German Blue
ORA Plum Crazy
BC Secale

I'm working on identifying the unknowns-andcsadly not everything is fraggable but a lot is

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Geo's Reef
Back