Another salinity tester

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any recommendations for a salinity tester? I do have a refractometer, but my eyesight makes it hard to read, I’ve seen many different digital one, but was wondering if any were better than others. Thanks

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried taking a picture through the refractometer eyepiece? That might make it easier to read as you can zoom in on the image.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any recommendations for a salinity tester? I do have a refractometer, but my eyesight makes it hard to read, I’ve seen many different digital one, but was wondering if any were better than others. Thanks
I got the glass tube finally, no more guessing games 100% accurate

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna HI98319. It's my second one because the first always read. 002 different than what the water actually was. New one the same. I have no idea why but this is but yesterday I discovered the Hanna 35 ppt calibration fluid is not 35 ppt. If I calibrate the tester with a known 35 ppt salt mix instead of the calibration fluid it is spot on. I have refractometers and a TM hydrometer also but the digital tester is so much easier now that I know how to calibrate it so it's correct.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The HI98319 is notorious for being inaccurate and needing very very frequent recalibration. And the recalibration solution is notorious for not being what it states. If using this model I recommend using DIY made calibration solution and using it at least monthly

Alternately, I would prefer to reccomend this, which is accurate and easy to read and calibrates with distilled water and a simple button click

For sale here:

77B639FA-8EB5-4708-B405-896A8461684A.jpeg

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna HI98319. It's my second one because the first always read. 002 different than what the water actually was. New one the same. I have no idea why but this is but yesterday I discovered the Hanna 35 ppt calibration fluid is not 35 ppt. If I calibrate the tester with a known 35 ppt salt mix instead of the calibration fluid it is spot on. I have refractometers and a TM hydrometer also but the digital tester is so much easier now that I know how to calibrate it so it's correct.
Oh, thanks, what salt mix do you use?

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP may need more info than " Glass Tube"
This here, can’t beat it

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This here, can’t beat it

How does this hydrometer work?

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does this hydrometer work?
I float it right in my tank, i cut the pump’s so it’s still and place it inside the tank and it will float with the needle side will be facing up and you just look at the needle it’s marked like a thermometer and there you have your reading, then just rinse with fresh water, dry it off and back in it’s protective case, it’s always 100% accurate. You could actually use this to calibrate your other hydrometers.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back