All for Reef!!! Excited to make the change! What say you?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those supplementing with Kalk, are you not then having to add trace and magnesium otherwise what was the point in using AFR?

Seems more cost and time effective having a single dosing pump which is the allure for me.

14A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those supplementing with Kalk, are you not then having to add trace and magnesium otherwise what was the point in using AFR?

Seems more cost and time effective having a single dosing pump which is the allure for me.

I'm topping off using Kalkwasser and dosing AFR using a X1 Pro T.

I've recently started dosing K+ and A- according to what Hans-Werner has said previously, but IMO the amount of Kalkwasser dosage is much lower than the AFRs. Thus, the effect on traces wouldn't really be noticeable. I'm doing 10% weekly water changes too.

I've shared my ICP and it's in line with RSCP parameters.

Denadai used to keep his reef tanks in a similar way, but used Carbocalcium instead... so I'm not worried.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t… feeding my fish and changing water is enough in my experience to replenish any traces.. mag I add once a month at best it seems to stay solid according to my trident

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started with kalk. I’ve used it for decades and so I used it when I started my latest tank. When the demand got higher I added AFR. I could go with only AFR, but I like the pH boost from the Kalk and the tank has been happy. When I run out of either of them, I might change it up entirely and go with a 2/3 part for even more pH boost, but that’s because I like to tinker.

It seems that between the AFR and water changes, trace elements are well managed even though the kalk is missing them. I do dump in a dose of magnesium once a month.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with using only AFR or any of the other methods or combinations of them.

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it got slightly more expensive :grinning-face-with-sweat: .

I thought that by adding kalkwasser I'd be able to save some money. I think that the effect of the pH boost on calcification was higher than expected.
There are lots of ways to solve that higher calcification problem :)

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to get creative. DIY CO2 scrubber for my nano haha. 7.8-8.0 now 8.0-8.2

Screenshot 2024-10-10 at 11.12.42 AM.png

Last edited:

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does 55ml sound about right for .8 kh consumption pd
I’m currently at 10.5 so if I start at 55 will the kh drop then go back to 10.5?
What should I expect cos I don’t want swings with an eps heavy tank
It’s 400ltr

14A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does 55ml sound about right for .8 kh consumption pd
I’m currently at 10.5 so if I start at 55 will the kh drop then go back to 10.5?
What should I expect cos I don’t want swings with an eps heavy tank
It’s 400ltr

You'd need 57ml according to TM calculator

It might drop a bit for a few hours and then go back. Anyway, IMHO 0.8dkH isn't much.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000ml contains 6000dKH, so you'd need 57ml

It might drop a bit for a few hours and then go back. Anyway, IMHO 0.8dkH isn't much.

Just to be picky about units, 1 mL also contains 6,000 dKH. It becomes very tricky to do the math correctly when companies do not clearly state potency in valid units.

Luminous74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just occurred to me perhaps why they do it. In a mix like this, they would have to add some sort of alk additive that didn't incorporate calcium. They cannot use bicarbonate, carbonate, or hydroxide, because those will cause precipitation issues. They'd need to use something like sodium formate or magnesium formate, and maybe they just didn't want to have to source another organic alk material at suitable purity.

According to information from German forums where Hans-Werner Balling is active, Tropic Marin All-for-Reef contains calcium formate, which provides both calcium and carbonate hardness (KH) in a single solution. It has low oxygen consumption and is metabolized by organisms into bicarbonate. The formate protects metals from precipitation, allowing stable integration of cationic trace metals (e.g., strontium, iron) and anionic trace elements (e.g., iodide, bromide). Additionally, All-for-Reef includes magnesium and the trace elements from the K+ and A- Elements.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to information from German forums where Hans-Werner Balling is active, Tropic Marin All-for-Reef contains calcium formate, which provides both calcium and carbonate hardness (KH) in a single solution. It has low oxygen consumption and is metabolized by organisms into bicarbonate. The formate protects metals from precipitation, allowing stable integration of cationic trace metals (e.g., strontium, iron) and anionic trace elements (e.g., iodide, bromide). Additionally, All-for-Reef includes magnesium and the trace elements from the K+ and A- Elements.
Might want to look up who Randy is...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. Hans-Werner is active here as well and we understand what it is. My understanding of what it is is my basis for the statement that you quoted from me. :)

Luminous74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danke. Hans-Werner ist hier auch aktiv und wir verstehen, was es ist. Mein Verständnis davon, was es ist, ist meine Grundlage für die Aussage, die Sie von mir zitiert haben. :)
Entschuldigen Sie, ich bin schon seit einiger Zeit hier auf R2R und schätze die Informationen zu all diesen Themen sehr. Leider ist mein Englisch nicht sehr gut und mit dem Übersetzungstool ist nicht immer alles im richtigen Kontext.

Luminous74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vielleicht möchten Sie nachschauen, wer Randy ist ...
Ich kann nicht nachschauen, wo Randy ist. Um ihn wirklich herauszufinden, müsste ich ihn persönlich treffen, was ziemlich unwahrscheinlich ist. Was ich tun kann, ist, zu lesen, was online über ihn geschrieben wird, und die Informationen und das Wissen zu nutzen, das er mit uns teilt. ;)

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich kann nicht nachschauen, wo Randy ist. Um ihn wirklich herauszufinden, müsste ich ihn persönlich treffen, was ziemlich unwahrscheinlich ist. Was ich tun kann, ist, zu lesen, was online über ihn geschrieben wird, und die Informationen und das Wissen zu nutzen, das er mit uns teilt. ;)
How does one convert this to English

Luminous74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Mmmmm.. now it's getting embarrassing for me."

"Mmmmm.. now it's getting embarrassing for me. Sorry! I can't check where Randy is. To truly find out, I would have to meet him in person, which is quite unlikely. What I can do is read what is written about him online and use the information and knowledge he shares with us. ;)"

Luminous74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Entschuldigen Sie, ich bin schon seit einiger Zeit hier auf R2R und schätze die Informationen zu all diesen Themen sehr. Leider ist mein Englisch nicht sehr gut und mit dem Übersetzungstool ist nicht immer alles im richtigen Kontext.
Sorry, I've been here on R2R for quite some time, and I really appreciate the information on all these topics. Unfortunately, my English isn't very good, and with the translation tool, not everything is always in the right context."

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Mmmmm.. now it's getting embarrassing for me."

"Mmmmm.. now it's getting embarrassing for me. Sorry! I can't check where Randy is. To truly find out, I would have to meet him in person, which is quite unlikely. What I can do is read what is written about him online and use the information and knowledge he shares with us. ;)"
Randy is a scientist. He's used to have a reef tank himself.
He helps on many reef sites with all kinds problems with chemistry. He's been doing this for many years and he does it out of the kindness of his heart.
He keeps it straight forward and to the point. Sometimes I find it hard to follow, lol.

Randy ist Wissenschaftler. Er hatte selbst einmal ein Riffaquarium.
Er hilft an vielen Riffen bei allen möglichen chemischen Problemen. Er macht das schon seit vielen Jahren und aus reiner Herzensgüte.
Er kommt direkt und auf den Punkt. Manchmal finde ich es schwer, ihm zu folgen, lol.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back