Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

Neptune

Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

• Total voters

Larry L

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy, does any kind of initial calibration need to be done? I'm assuming (maybe wrongly) that I would need to enter the water volume of my system, so that it can calculate how much to dose. What happens if I guess wrong, and enter 100 gallons when the actual total system volume is 90 gallons - does that mean whenever the alk is low it will overdose by 10%?

Scott.h

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'd expect the apex kh probe to be on the market within the next year, already having an apex and dos, this would be reduntant for most I'd have to believe. Maybe if it were in the 300-400 range, but after that probe hits the market I don't think that price will stick.

Jonty

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'd expect the apex kh probe to be on the market within the next year,.
Neptune Apex has been trying to release a flowmeter for the last two years and that is build by a manufacturer for other industries. I bet it takes them at least two years maybe three to release an ALK monitor LOL

danmhippo

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KHG is not for everyone.

If you value your time more than a few hundred dollars, or if you are an extremely impatient type of person that don't want to stand stationary for a minute of your time jerking your hands, then you are a possible candidate for KHG. If your tank has very delicate species of corals, or if you have had more than one tank crash due to negligence of not taking regular water testing, then you are also a possible candidate for KHG. If you believe one testing result is not good enough, and you want a few additional water tests to confirm if the result is accurate, then you are a possible candidate for KHG. If you travel often, and you trust no one to take care of your tank other than yourself, then you are a good candidate for KHG. For all others, maybe KHG is not suitable for you unless you get it as Xmas gift. After all, it IS a bit expensive.

I am one of the beta tester of KHG. Lucky enough to be selected as a beta user but primarily because I live in the same country where they engineered this product. I fit most of the descriptions above. I make biz travel often, sometimes weeks away from my tank. I rely on Apex so I can remotely check on my tank from thousands of miles away. I am lazy and would rather spend my spare time staring blankly at my tank, or read a book, or nestle in my bed. But I just cannot stand and shake that bottle for a minute, and some tests require I to stand there for 15 minutes.

Once you set it up, KHG is simple to use. Practically you can set it and forget it. Initial setup require you to read through the user manuals very thoroughly. If you are wrong about water volume estimates, it is OK, you can tweek it later. The KHG default design is to take testing every 4 hours, and you can shorten it or lengthen it. KHG can also set to make several retests if the result of this testing is 0.3 dKH away from last test. And you can designate how much deviation will trigger multiple retests, and how many retests to be performed. Because I set my KHG to take test every 3 hours, so essentially I am breaking one large daily dosing into 8 smaller dosing. In comparison to traditional dosing when you set your doser (GHL, Grotech, or Apex DOS), all you know is how much is adding into the tank, but you do not know if you have overdose or underdose your tank until your next water test, and often it is days after your previous test. KHG on the other hand is adding sodium bicarbonate followed by a water testing, EVERYTIME.

The biggest drawback of KHG is the initial cost. This, I totally agree with many comments before me comparing cost of KHG to titration test kits. Like I said earlier, KHG is not for everyone. Only those that value corals in the tank very high and lacks the time or patience may need a KHG.

Since I am a new member here, and this is my first post, and I am a beta tester of KHG although do not have any interest in that company, take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

rockworm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that price, will it come with a guarantee that it wont crash my tank with a kH related issue?
I am sure it is the same guarantee that Apex DOS, Koaemor and other dosers provide when it locks on and dumps all your alk mix.

rockworm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously consider an alk monitor, even at a grand, for my tank. I have a 400g SPS only tank that has cost thousands to set up and populate. Another grand is reasonable if it will help prevent thousands in losses from an unexpected alk swing.

I would not pay the price if it was for my 75g LPS tank. Early adopters of new technology pay a premium. I was one of the early LED adopters when the PFO Solaris came out. It did not work out for my tank. Look at the prices of 4k tv two years ago vs. today. Prices come down as more competition comes to market.

I suspect there are a few large tank owners who will see this as an invaluable addition to their tank automation. I also see prices coming down over time. GHL is planning to introducing an alk monitor next year and I believe they are looking at a Ca monitor. Apex is working on a monitor (and no, it is not a probe. It is a reagant system) which will also help competition.

There are a lot of naysayers here, but I see that all the time when something innovative comes out. Some can't afford it and some refuse to pay it. That is fine and how the market is suppose to work. If the price is equal to or less than the value I place on a product, I will buy it.

rockworm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask yourself this, is $1000 worth it when people have super successful reef for years with nothing but "normal" test" kits?
You are right. Who needs a calculator when a slide rule does the same thing.

Carlos@CoralVue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for a $1000 dollar bit of kit your solution throughout all the R&D that's been done is to put the waste pipe into a vent hole in your Skimmer cup that may or may not be there? Surely if a Skimmer has a vent hole it's a vent hole and needs to be there and not be blocked otherwise pressure would build in the collection cup? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It was just a simple suggestion my friend. You don't have to do anything you don't want. BTW, most skimmers lid have multiple vent holes so using one is not going to make a difference IMHO.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KHG is not for everyone.

If you value your time more than a few hundred dollars, or if you are an extremely impatient type of person that don't want to stand stationary for a minute of your time jerking your hands, then you are a possible candidate for KHG. If your tank has very delicate species of corals, or if you have had more than one tank crash due to negligence of not taking regular water testing, then you are also a possible candidate for KHG. If you believe one testing result is not good enough, and you want a few additional water tests to confirm if the result is accurate, then you are a possible candidate for KHG. If you travel often, and you trust no one to take care of your tank other than yourself, then you are a good candidate for KHG. For all others, maybe KHG is not suitable for you unless you get it as Xmas gift. After all, it IS a bit expensive.

I am one of the beta tester of KHG. Lucky enough to be selected as a beta user but primarily because I live in the same country where they engineered this product. I fit most of the descriptions above. I make biz travel often, sometimes weeks away from my tank. I rely on Apex so I can remotely check on my tank from thousands of miles away. I am lazy and would rather spend my spare time staring blankly at my tank, or read a book, or nestle in my bed. But I just cannot stand and shake that bottle for a minute, and some tests require I to stand there for 15 minutes.

Once you set it up, KHG is simple to use. Practically you can set it and forget it. Initial setup require you to read through the user manuals very thoroughly. If you are wrong about water volume estimates, it is OK, you can tweek it later. The KHG default design is to take testing every 4 hours, and you can shorten it or lengthen it. KHG can also set to make several retests if the result of this testing is 0.3 dKH away from last test. And you can designate how much deviation will trigger multiple retests, and how many retests to be performed. Because I set my KHG to take test every 3 hours, so essentially I am breaking one large daily dosing into 8 smaller dosing. In comparison to traditional dosing when you set your doser (GHL, Grotech, or Apex DOS), all you know is how much is adding into the tank, but you do not know if you have overdose or underdose your tank until your next water test, and often it is days after your previous test. KHG on the other hand is adding sodium bicarbonate followed by a water testing, EVERYTIME.

The biggest drawback of KHG is the initial cost. This, I totally agree with many comments before me comparing cost of KHG to titration test kits. Like I said earlier, KHG is not for everyone. Only those that value corals in the tank very high and lacks the time or patience may need a KHG.

Since I am a new member here, and this is my first post, and I am a beta tester of KHG although do not have any interest in that company, take it with a grain of salt.

What is the margin of error on this machine? Are you 100 percent sure that the reagent will never degrade.

And for your post the answer is simple. How many times a day do you stop and look at your tank ? If you are like most reefers then you have time to use a Hana checker daily. Heck I even though my fiancé how to use the Hana checker. IMO is a waste of money for $1000 when it's only testing alkalinity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos@CoralVue

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of cool thought. 75% are definite no and the other 25% are maybe or yes. I was not expecting such rounded results.

This product is not for everybody and not everybody is going to be able to afford it. As they say, not everybody can afford a Lexus. But as multiple people have pointed out, it is amazing how far the hobby has come and to have an automatic KH controller in the hobby is very darn cool!

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man reefers sure are whiny. Always complaining about products and how they should cost 50 cents. No one is forcing anyone to buy this. It's a luxury item which would be nice to have.

If you ask 1000s of people about any products this is what you will get. And how does this classify as a luxury item. Is it because coral vue has already decided on the higher price making it seem like is luxury???

gus6464

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask 1000s of people about any products this is what you will get. And how does this classify as a luxury item. Is it because coral vue has already decided on the higher price making it seem like is luxury???
I expect you to say the same thing on threads where vendors here are selling photoshopped acros for 1k.

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AAF
Back