Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

Neptune

Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

• Total voters

JonasRoman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it is too expensive. I think that the market is ready for a KH-machine, but there is a price and quality-question. 1000Euro is too expensive. Second: I have heard that the accuracy is bad with the KH-Guardian. Can an independently source give us information about accuracy and precision please? This is extremely important info when you have to invest that amount of money. They use acid-titration with a pH-electrode. There are several critical moments which can very easily damage the accuracy. Do they use stepper motors? How big is the measured volume each time? if you do 20 measurements on same water directly after each other, there should be no more deviations than 5% i think (one standard-deviation). There is no much info about this important thinks. And: How is it regulating? As far as i can see with an extra pump dosing HCO3. But how will it control an already existing Ballingdosing unit? Will it also control (that is shut of) a cacliumreactor? And if you have different computer systems already controlling this, how does it interact with these controlling units? If this machine cannot do that, it is pointless. Anyone how have answer and more info on these questions it would be a substantial info to more correctly answer if 1000 Euro is worth it.

james77515

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you buy the parts in bulk this equipment will be a lot of profit at that price range. Most people with a calcium reactor will only want it as a monitor without the dosing option so that is a big issue right there. Some have also mentioned the fact that if this dosed makes changes then you have to keep up with the calcium changes as well. My opinion is it will sell better as a monitor alone and at a much much lower price point.

JonasRoman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just find the answer: The KHG has an accuracy of 0.33dKH. In my opinion this is very bad. You measure and for instance get 7.90. One minute later you measure again, and you got 8.23......you cannot with these big errors detect a change nor even do any actions.

JonasRoman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you buy the parts in bulk this equipment will be a lot of profit at that price range. Most people with a calcium reactor will only want it as a monitor without the dosing option so that is a big issue right there. Some have also mentioned the fact that if this dosed makes changes then you have to keep up with the calcium changes as well. My opinion is it will sell better as a monitor alone and at a much much lower price point.
It is not the dosing part which costs i think...it is only one more pump and some minor codes. I think they will not reduce price even it is only a measuring machine. it is the measuring part which is expensive. and, they have problems with accuracy i found info about, 0.33dKH.

JLynn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, if the Mindstream Aquarium Monitor turns out to do what it says it will, then we will have the option of buying a (significantly smaller) instrument that does way more than just monitor alkalinity for half the price of this thing. So no, I certainly wouldn't be shelling out twice the money for 1/10 the functionality. Especially not if the Mindstream gets integrated with Apex!

jeffrey holloway

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I wouldn't pay a thousand bucks for an Alk monitor. In three to four yrs. it will be priced for the average person and I may consider it then. Right now my Hanna checker and My Apex DOS do a great job. Too many unknowns for me. Let the commercial guys play with it for a while. This hobby it about to price it self out of business.

JonasRoman

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, if the Mindstream Aquarium Monitor turns out to do what it says it will, then we will have the option of buying a (significantly smaller) instrument that does way more than just monitor alkalinity for half the price of this thing. So no, I certainly wouldn't be shelling out twice the money for 1/10 the functionality. Especially not if the Mindstream gets integrated with Apex!
but, i am quite sure that we will absolutely never see a mindtsream to be a reality, and if, with bad accuracy and big running costs. I think that mindstream is a fairy tail.

eltonw

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The waste issue seem to me to be pretty meaningless. We already have to throw away the test water for every reagent based test we use. If you automate the process, you aren't there to throw it down the drain after every test, so you put it in a waste container appropriately sized for the number of tests you run in whatever period of time you want to go between dumping the waste. No big deal. Skimmer cup? Nah.

The more I look at this thing, the more I like it. I still want to know how accurate and precise it is, how they tested it and what the maintenance procedures are to keep it that accurate and precise. Oh, and what is the acid used, how long the container lasts and how much are the replacements?
It is not the dosing part which costs i think...it is only one more pump and some minor codes. I think they will not reduce price even it is only a measuring machine. it is the measuring part which is expensive. and, they have problems with accuracy i found info about, 0.33dKH.

You just pick up some information you need only.
Do you know KHG has profession edition it is for 0.1dHK.
We have announced that for pre-order customers we will free of charge to update the software from STANDARD EDITION TO PROFESSION EDITION.....it save you US$200.

Coralvue orders 90 units (we limited the qty) already and all of them are for profession edition but the price will only be sell as standard edition price.

Take the only chance to buy it from next lot we will change it back to standard edition.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just pick up some information you need only.
Do you know KHG has profession edition it is for 0.1dHK.
We have announced that for pre-order customers we will free of charge to update the software from STANDARD EDITION TO PROFESSION EDITION.....it save you US$200.

Coralvue orders 90 units (we limited the qty) already and all of them are for profession edition but the price will only be sell as standard edition price.

Take the only chance to buy it from next lot we will change it back to standard edition.

Now what sense those this statement really makes? All I see is a big red flag.

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elton, first Coralvue has to put the unit up for sale.:) I am happy to see this product and others come to market this is the kind of testing we have needed in the hobby.
I do see a lot of people angry about the price but this type of testing is not easy to do and requires pretty hi tech equipment to do it properly.

DMan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to have one. But not at that price, and not for that kind of accuracy. Regarding the pro and standard models. I've heard this many times. And I'm weary of these claims. A .33+/- accuracy is terrible. So why even offer it. For 200 bucks you can upgrade. This doesn't pass the smell test for me. Why even bother with the standard edition. For now ill let the people with disposable cash do the beta testing and ill wait for other companies to release and the price drops. Guess Salifert will still get my money for now.

Jonty

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are shooting yourself in the foot, for 1K I would expect a top of the line product, not a hobbled version that can be upgraded for $200 if this is the only difference between the standard and professional version you have just lost a customer.

Chris155hp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the notion that there's two versions and the only difference is software that cost $200 is insane!!! That alone assures I'll never purchase this product. Why not just release the product day one with the best software/hardware possible at a Fair market price?

eg8r210

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen the Mindstream mention a $500 price point. Plus you will have a monthly subscription for Mindstream that was in the $30-40 range. Hardly going to be anywhere near 50% of this.

eg8r210

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For me this is a bit disconcerting (I know they aren't the only company to do this). Too jack an extra $200 from your customer you offer a software only upgrade. Why do companies do this? If there was some better hardware to make one a pro version vs the other that would make sense but at this price point why not just sell one model since it is only a software upgrade?

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d7d0ee263adbe583bb95d5e8e3c503f0.jpg

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting device and a lot of folks will be interested. I personally would not be willing to pay more than $400 for it. I was more interested in the mindspring approach which would make it worth the cost of a systemnude to the multiple tests.

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back