Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing most of my life. I think the one thing that has surprised me is the nutrient issue. Going back as little as ten years and before, nutrients (NO3 - PO4) climbing were always a battle. Now it seems that many reefers battle (including me) to keep these nutrients in the system. I guess it's a testimony to how effective bacterias and equipment have become over the years.
It’s the use of dry rock. Every dry rock system I’ve ever set up was nutrient deficient. 0 nitrate 0 phosphate dosing my mind out to still end up with Dino’s.
Not sure of the ScIeNcE behind it so I won’t go there. But from the way I understand it. The rock is just sucking it out the water until it’s saturated.

ocean rock this time and it’s no longer a problem. I’m using dialed in feedings, water changes, skimmer and a small bag of chemipure elite. It keeps my nitrates around 10 and phosphates bounce between .08 and .12. I’m having to clean my glass quite a bit. Nothing is taking over the rocks though.

Nutramar Foods

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any specific examples?

Late 80's books like Advanced Reef Keeping read like building a rocket ship to Mars, lots of gear, bio balls filtration, skimmers, denitrators, ORP meters, etc. When I entered the hobby in 2000, the focus seemed to be more on natural filtration, live rock and live sand, basic gear. Now gear has evolved and become more obtainable and better and tech heavy reefs are back.

Ocean live rock had a similar trend, then with wild collected rock shut down it went to dry startups, now there seems to be a trend for ocean live rock again.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Randomstylez

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack of a single complied source of specific information.

Im surprised no one has centralized the common things everyone asks about. Things like What pests are these, what dino's are these, how to treat for this. Alot of these are super repeat questions with similar answers.

Secondly:
The lack of information about biodiversity.

This thread talks alot about how live rock changed and how much it is needed nowdays compared to dry rock, but really its just biodiversity and maturity of the rock. Why after decades hasn't this been a priority question with a study to answer it? For my tank I started with "live" rock and it had pods, ampipods, bristileworms, and other things I don't even know about. But because of those things my tank accelerated and limited issues with dinos/cyano that many new tanks deal with.

Finally
Why is there no seller with a "Biodiversity pack"

If I were to start a new tank now I would want to buy a few of each of the aforementioned helpful pests. I believe some of these to be essential towards the success of a new tank. Otherwise you will struggle to battle cyano, dinos, and algae as your tank matures.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lack of a single complied source of specific information.

Im surprised no one has centralized the common things everyone asks about. Things like What pests are these, what dino's are these, how to treat for this. Alot of these are super repeat questions with similar answers.

Secondly:
The lack of information about biodiversity.

This thread talks alot about how live rock changed and how much it is needed nowdays compared to dry rock, but really its just biodiversity and maturity of the rock. Why after decades hasn't this been a priority question with a study to answer it? For my tank I started with "live" rock and it had pods, ampipods, bristileworms, and other things I don't even know about. But because of those things my tank accelerated and limited issues with dinos/cyano that many new tanks deal with.

Finally
Why is there no seller with a "Biodiversity pack"

If I were to start a new tank now I would want to buy a few of each of the aforementioned helpful pests. I believe some of these to be essential towards the success of a new tank. Otherwise you will struggle to battle cyano, dinos, and algae as your tank matures.
To try and answer the first part of your question. There are some sticky threads in these forums that do address certain common things, you may have to use the search function. The incredible abundance of knowledge on this forum and others would fill volumes. I remember back when I started the hobby in 2000, there were good online forum articles about live rock, sand, water parameters written by the experts, some are still here and occasionally pop up. Articles only get written if people will actually read them, seeing how basic questions get asked all the time tells me that the search engine rarely gets used...I could be wrong.

To do actual meaningful scientific studies on hobby questions takes time and money to do it right.

Regarding biodiversity/detritivore vendors, there seems to be less than during the Deep Sand Bed Era, but Indo-Pacific Sea farms still sells detritivore kits, others like Algae Barn sell pods. Look for Florida vendors that sell rock, sand, snails or algae. TBS sells small boxes of live rock/sand.

Last edited:
World Wide Corals
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back