What fish would kill gorilla crabs if it saw them?

BRS

Reefin' rumors

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230319_120502.jpg
Leopard on the left...Xmas on the right...hunt all day every day. Will always have some wrasses...

Upvote 0

KING KONG

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hv seen Cinnamon clownfish killing gorilla crabs(not consuming). The problem is they r very aggressive and they get very big in size. They'll kill whatever they see. After some yrs, I kept mine alone in my tank. I think my was a little overgrown baby. Still depends on individual :). Another problem is whatever will kill a gorilla crab, will be a threat to your invertebrates (if u hv any)

Upvote 0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 3095437
Leopard on the left...Xmas on the right...hunt all day every day. Will always have some wrasses...
Physically impossible for any leopard in the family to take out a crab. Take it from someone who has kept leopards for the better part of 20 years.

They only have a beak like a bird, and their teeth are in the back of their throat(Macropharyngodon, their name literally means throat teeth). While they will hunt small crustaceans(bristle worms, medusa worms, copepods, etc), they physically cannot hunt a gorilla crab.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not buy a leopard and expect it to kill gorilla crabs. I had a timor wrasse kill my emeralds by picking them apart a leg at a time but basically a leopard killing a gorilla crab is an anomaly and not something you can buy and expect it to do. My leopards do not eat crabs.

My friend used a glass and leaned it up against the rock with food in it. The crabs would smell the food, fall in, and not be able to get out. If you have small curious fish though, they will likely swim in and take the food. He basically did it after buying live rock but before adding fish.

Upvote 0

Reefin' rumors

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Physically impossible for any leopard in the family to take out a crab. Take it from someone who has kept leopards for the better part of 20 years.

They only have a beak like a bird, and their teeth are in the back of their throat(Macropharyngodon, their name literally means throat teeth). While they will hunt small crustaceans(bristle worms, medusa worms, copepods, etc), they physically cannot hunt a gorilla crab.
Understood...i get it...they grab it and smash it on the liverock. Don't know any other way to explain it. They kill it.

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tunze
Back