Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 90g glass aquarium that has been running for a few years. I was new to the hobby then and it was given to me free (it has not been free from that day forward though!). I had been considering changing out this tank. I have some frustrations with the it (long story if you really want to hear it). I found an acrylic tank online locally. It is 110g, plumbed and includes the sump and cabinet/stand. I don't know if it includes the lighting (I don't think so) or the pumps. I don't really need those things. I have 3 Kessil 360we lights I can use. I should be able to use the other equipment that I have or buy new. The draw of this tank is that it is acrylic and plumbed, and it is a very good price. I also like the size and dimensions. This one seems like it would be very good as a reef tank.

My question to all is what are your thoughts on acrylic? I have researched the pros and cons. Also, what questions would you have about the tank? I know they have had it for about 4 years and also had bought it used. I have read that acrylics last 12-15 years. Is there anything I should look for on it if I go see it in person? I would look for leaks of course, but anything else? They said the brand is OdySea but I could not find anything on that brand online.

I don't see many tanks like this online (there are lots of glass tanks) and the price is lower than most the comparable glass ones I have found. Thanks in advance!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic tank should last forever! I’ve built plenty and some are still going in local stores 20 years later.. only downfall is scratches easy.. check for scratches and go ahead and check the seams and see if there’s is any bubbles.. if not I’d say go for it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I currently have a 90g glass aquarium that has been running for a few years. I was new to the hobby then and it was given to me free (it has not been free from that day forward though!). I had been considering changing out this tank. I have some frustrations with the it (long story if you really want to hear it). I found an acrylic tank online locally. It is 110g, plumbed and includes the sump and cabinet/stand. I don't know if it includes the lighting (I don't think so) or the pumps. I don't really need those things. I have 3 Kessil 360we lights I can use. I should be able to use the other equipment that I have or buy new. The draw of this tank is that it is acrylic and plumbed, and it is a very good price. I also like the size and dimensions. This one seems like it would be very good as a reef tank.

My question to all is what are your thoughts on acrylic? I have researched the pros and cons. Also, what questions would you have about the tank? I know they have had it for about 4 years and also had bought it used. I have read that acrylics last 12-15 years. Is there anything I should look for on it if I go see it in person? I would look for leaks of course, but anything else? They said the brand is OdySea but I could not find anything on that brand online.

I don't see many tanks like this online (there are lots of glass tanks) and the price is lower than most the comparable glass ones I have found. Thanks in advance!
I always told myself No acrylic due to scratching and worries of scratching while cleaning and then 4 years ago got a drop off tank in acrylic then thought " Wait a second here" - what was I worried about then to make a long story short went with acrylic 660g as pictured below and never had a single issue and can now Kick myself for waiting so long and shame on me as I owned an LFS and had acrylic displays for years that gave me no issues and then thought " Why the hate". You'll love them. Be careful on what algae cleaners you use to clean. I use MIGHTY MAGNETS

660arrival28.jpg

Fast forward- Cant tell there's water in it !

660g 3.30c.jpg

The tank is a @Tenecor Aquariums

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic tank should last forever! I’ve built plenty and some are still going in local stores 20 years later.. only downfall is scratches easy.. check for scratches and go ahead and check the seams and see if there’s is any bubbles.. if not I’d say go for it!
Thanks for the advice. Can scratches be "fixed"? I had read you could correct them. I would have time to work on it if those things can be fixed. My glass one actually has quite a few scratches from the first owner.

kados

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my acrylic tank. I've had tanks for close to 20 years in every shape, size and brand. Facts, they all scratch, glass or acrylic. I agree with Vetteguy. The clarity on acrylic and you don't even see it. With acrylic if you scratch it, you have a chance to repair. Mighty Magnet all the way. I have a predator style FOWLR with big puffers and chunky teeth. Once in a while I'll buff some scratches out as necessary. I don't even sweat it.

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always told myself No acrylic due to scratching and worries of scratching while cleaning and then 4 years ago got a drop off tank in acrylic then thought " Wait a second here" - what was I worried about then to make a long story short went with acrylic 660g as pictured below and never had a single issue and can now Kick myself for waiting so long and shame on me as I owned an LFS and had acrylic displays for years that gave me no issues and then thought " Why the hate". You'll love them. Be careful on what algae cleaners you use to clean. I use MIGHTY MAGNETS

View attachment 2883796

Fast forward- Cant tell there's water in it !

View attachment 2883798

The tank is a @Tenecor Aquariums
That is an awesome tank. Love all the coral. Great job. Thanks for the advice too.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Lighter
-More clear
-Lifetime leak free if built correctly
-no ugly silicone seams
-safer
-more thermally stable
-and at least for our tanks, about 20 to 35% less expensive than those well advertised Chinese made glass tanks.

Scratches are easy to fix. I will be writing an article about how to do this without emptying the tank. All the best with your new home.

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my acrylic tank. I've had tanks for close to 20 years in every shape, size and brand. Facts, they all scratch, glass or acrylic. I agree with Vetteguy. The clarity on acrylic and you don't even see it. With acrylic if you scratch it, you have a chance to repair. Mighty Magnet all the way. I have a predator style FOWLR with big puffers and chunky teeth. Once in a while I'll buff some scratches out as necessary. I don't even sweat it.
OK thanks. I was asking about being able to fix them. The 90g has a bunch of scratches from the first owner anyway.

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Lighter
-More clear
-no ugly silicone seams
-safer
-more thermally stable
-and at least for our tanks, about 20 to 35% less expensive than those well advertised Chinese made glass tanks.

Scratches are easy to fix. I will be writing an article about how to do this without emptying the tank. All the best with your new home.
OK thanks. The guy is asking $600 for the tank, sump and cabinet. He is willing to negotiate on the tank. That seemed pretty good for this type of tank, but I don't see acrylics for sale much.

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
-Lighter
-More clear
-no ugly silicone seams
-safer
-more thermally stable

Mine is Tenecor and Mighty magnets has a sandpaper kit for scratch removal) - Interested to see yours

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OK thanks. The guy is asking $600 for the tank, sump and cabinet. He is willing to negotiate on the tank. That seemed pretty good for this type of tank, but I don't see acrylics for sale much.
Theyre much lighter weight especially empty. Tell him $500 cash and we load it up

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS

kados

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, quality/craftsmanship is the key. Glass or acrylic. Not every tank is created equally. You will certainly hear people chime in on yellowing or bowing etc...like any use case of anything, with enough sampling there will be outliers. Conditions matter. You're getting feedback here from long time acrylic users. Love my acrylic.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail... Can the scratches be fixed while full of water/life? Or do they need to be empied first?
Yes! Pick up a micro mesh kit.. easy peesy!

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this. I had agreed to $500 for the tank and equipment. I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow. The seller wrote back today saying when they were cleaning it his son pointed out a crack in the top (Above the water line). Here is a photo of the crack. He wanted to give me the option of calling off the deal, which is what I did. I am assuming that was the right call but wanted to get the acrylic knowledgeable people’s thoughts.
F930F456-5BA6-4EFD-8DBA-EA4F14E5DF83.jpeg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this. I had agreed to $500 for the tank and equipment. I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow. The seller wrote back today saying when they were cleaning it his son pointed out a crack in the top (Above the water line). Here is a photo of the crack. He wanted to give me the option of calling off the deal, which is what I did. I am assuming that was the right call but wanted to get the acrylic knowledgeable people’s thoughts.
View attachment 2887980
Is it in the euro brace? Hard to tell from that picture.. if you can get a picture of the tank in general where that crack is..

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it in the euro brace? Hard to tell from that picture.. if you can get a picture of the tank in general where that crack is.

Here is the original
Prefer to see more pics, but It looks like an easy repair if it’s just the top brace…ask what the new price is!
Here is the original photo from the site. I think it is the very upper part of the tank and 'm assuming it is the top brace. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that brace basically acrylic that lines the top and extends a bit over the water and provides support for the outward pressure on the sides?

1667599385737.png

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
WWW.ANIMATEDCORALS.COM
Back