View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I got my water before Home filters were available
building.jpg
rubber made trash cans in the back of the truck. If I remember it was .25 a gallon. Water change in January was a bit-chilly

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I added both of those to my Amazon list.
You only need 1 of the 3. I believe using the water conditioner will block the Cuprisorb or Polyfilters from removing the bound metals.
I like the Polyfilters because they work very nice in my HOB filters I use on QT systems and they are more effective at removing large amounts of copper. In your case the Cuprisorb may be best. You are dealing with fairly low levels of metals so 100mL should clear up your entire tank. I would need 3 times that much (or to regenerate it twice) to remove copper from my 20g QT when using coppersafe.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt there's one of those near me... altho that would be nice in emergencies when my RODI is out. I could go buy 40 gallons of RO from my reef supply store, but that gets kinda pricey after a little while. I remember when I was a kid going down to North Myrtle Beach, you couldn't drink the water. At least we didn't... My parents would always pack all three of us in the van and go up to where the Lion's Club had a drinking water station. We'd fill up jugs to carry back the house to make sweet tea and kool-aid with. I doubt it was anything more than just RO water. In a pinch, I've used the distilled water out of Walmart as top off. It's right at a dollar a gallon, if I can find it. They are usually sold out the day after a shipment comes in at the one up the road.

I'm going to be scavenging all the heaters I can find Saturday. There's a 50W in the QT tank and I think I may have one extra laying around somewhere... The 200W and the 75W Neotherms are staying put. Need to keep the tanks up to temp. Right now the water is coming out of the pipes pretty cold, heating it up to 78F is going to take some wattage. I may start making water Friday night after work, I'll be making cuba libres as well. :) Yay rum!

I have to go steal a furniture dolly from Dad. My RO tubing will reach inside the house, but not all the way over to the tank. Last I checked, it'll reach Maui's tank in the Kitchen, but there's another 10' and a corner to go around to get to the Deep Blue. With the dolly, I can set the brute on top of it over by the door to the garage, then gently roll it over to the tank when full.

World Wide Corals

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run a water line off the incoming water line put some filters on it before it hits the ro/di. That way you are not running water through all those old copper pipes. Things we do for our fishy friends

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need 1 of the 3. I believe using the water conditioner will block the Cuprisorb or Polyfilters from removing the bound metals.
I like the Polyfilters because they work very nice in my HOB filters I use on QT systems and they are more effective at removing large amounts of copper. In your case the Cuprisorb may be best. You are dealing with fairly low levels of metals so 100mL should clear up your entire tank. I would need 3 times that much (or to regenerate it twice) to remove copper from my 20g QT when using coppersafe.

I've got a few lists on Amazon that I use to organize neat things I find. That one is called the "fish list." I'll order the Cuprisorb. That one looked like it'll do what I need it to, and I like the ability to regen it...

Speaking of regen, the lab here regens their mixed beds several times before replacing the resins. They use sulphuric acid and what they call caustic, which I believe is sodium hydroxide... Oh the sulphuric acid they use is STRONG. Etch 50 year old concrete to look brand new and reacts with water strong. I had to clean up a spill several years back when a pipe blew out. Ruined a 4160V motor. Chemical boots, chemical resistant rain suit, face shield, chemical gloves... and a 1.5" fire hose into the floor drain. Hahaha. It's ok it went in a sump where they neutralized it and then it was safe to discharge to a settling pond.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run a water line off the incoming water line put some filters on it before it hits the ro/di. That way you are not running water through all those old copper pipes. Things we do for our fishy friends
Mmm, I can check and see... That might be a lot of pipe to run. The water meter is on the opposite side of the property from the garage, where I have my RODI set up. I'm sure the incoming line is on that side of the house as well... I've never looked for that.

Corals.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it might not be feasible. You might be able to put some whole house filters before the ro to help remove metals and other stuff.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it might not be feasible. You might be able to put some whole house filters before the ro to help remove metals and other stuff.

I'm going to look into a something to filter out any metals before it goes into my RO... evidently, with 80-90 TDS I've still got pretty hard water. I'm planning out a mixing station to build in the garage, instead of filling a 5g BioTek jug and a few empty 1g distilled jugs to have some RO on hand. That gets pretty old after a while. I've got this booster pump and membrane flush device thing on my list... someone in the Charelston club recommended it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OMBPNH...olid=340VOD4974AVJ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You buying Polly some crackers? just got this.
091317_EmailHeader_v1_02.png

HERO182.jpg

Just bought my dog a bag of food last week. His little butt won't finish it for a few months. 30lb bag at one measuring cup a day... lol.

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 pound Yellow Dog that can only eat the $50 for 18 lb bag (what happened to 20 lb bags?) All natural FuFu Food, a bag a week. between the Vet, ear meds and food that girl cost more than my reef!
BTY My Vet turned me on to Chewy.com I save a few bucks on food and they have Marine land carbon the 1 gallon tub for 8 or 9 bucks

Corals.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 pound Yellow Dog that can only eat the $50 for 18 lb bag (what happened to 20 lb bags?) All natural FuFu Food, a bag a week. between the Vet, ear meds and food that girl cost more than my reef!
BTY My Vet turned me on to Chewy.com I save a few bucks on food and they have Marine land carbon the 1 gallon tub for 8 or 9 bucks

Tractor Supply is usually where I get dog and rabbit food. I feed my dog Taste of the Wild in the purple bag. Something Sierra mountain... its the lamb variety. It lasts probably 4 months before I have to buy another bag. He's a 20lb Scotty... half a cup in the morning and half a cup at night.

It's $49.99 from Tractor Supply up the road, and I just looked and chewy.com sells it for the low price of $49.99.

The rabbit gets the cheapest feed I can find at Tractor Supply... Purina or Dumor, can't remember what it is. Wasn't my idea to get the rabbit and somehow I got stuck with it.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever look at the ingredients of even the "FuFu" brand food? It's about 2% food/98% other stuff.... When my old girl came down with food allergies at 12 years old I hated spending $400/month on prescription food that didn't work so we started preparing her meals like she eats at the table with us. She gets 24 labor intensive Oz/day of Chicken, carrots, apples, rice and a vitamin/mineral supplement. Never been healthier now at 14. She's already outlived me in dog years and may just beat m ein human years too!!

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't my idea to get the rabbit and somehow I got stuck with it.
Ya my daughters Dog, and my headache. Did I mention she lives about 600 miles from me. I'm just barking shes my sons dog now been for years and they are inseparable.
Now tractor supply is fun come spring time, I used to take the little ones to see the chicks, ducks and game birds.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever look at the ingredients of even the "FuFu" brand food? It's about 2% food/98% other stuff.... When my old girl came down with food allergies at 12 years old I hated spending $400/month on prescription food that didn't work so we started preparing her meals like she eats at the table with us. She gets 24 labor intensive Oz/day of Chicken, carrots, apples, rice and a vitamin/mineral supplement. Never been healthier now at 14. She's already outlived me in dog years and may just beat m ein human years too!!

It's crazy what passes for food with pets... I have made his food before, it was the exact same thing I was eating for dinner. Steak, potatoes and asparagus. Dogs evolved beside us eating the same things... there are a few things they can't have, but for the most part if it's healthy for you, it's healthy for your dog. They do not need a special "dog" food to be healthy. Actually, feeding "human food" is more healthy than the bag stuff. Just stay away from the big macs and processed food. Real, whole, fresh produce. The bag is just cheaper and easier than preparing food for them.

The Taste of the Wild food seems to be pretty pure. It's even "made with purified water." Whatever that means.

Here's the breakdown on the ingredients I found in it...

A lamb protein, grain-free formula with sweet potatoes and peas provides highly digestible energy for your dog. Made with real roasted lamb, this formula offers a taste sensation like no other. Supplemented with vegetables and fruits, this formula delivers antioxidants to help give your friend a healthy lifestyle. Your dog craves a taste of the wild. Go ahead and give him one.

• K9 Strain Probiotics
  • Prebiotic fiber
  • Roasted lamb
  • Omega fatty acid blend
  • Antioxidants

Ingredients:
Lamb, Lamb Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, Peas, Egg Product, Canola Oil, Roasted Lamb, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil (A Source of DHA), Salt, Choline Chloride, Mixed Tocopherols (A Preservative), Dried Chicory Root, Taurine, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Animalis Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Reuteri Fermentation Product, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid. Contains a source of live, naturally occurring microorganisms.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 25.0%
Crude Fat (min.) 15.0%
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.0%
Moisture (max.) 10.0%
DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) (min.) 0.05%
Zinc (min.) 150 mg/kg
Selenium (min.) 0.35 mg/kg
Vitamin E (min.) 150 IU/kg
Taurine* (min.) 0.05%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* (min.) 2.4%
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (min.) 0.3%
Total Microorganisms* (min.) 80,000,000 CFU/lb. (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus reuteri)
*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are making me feel better! Our dogs have allergies and we have to feed each one a different type of Blue Buffalo. One of them needs special allergy meds and medicated shampoo on top of the higher cost food. I love those girls, but they are expensive!

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya my daughters Dog, and my headache. Did I mention she lives about 600 miles from me. I'm just barking shes my sons dog now been for years and they are inseparable.
Now tractor supply is fun come spring time, I used to take the little ones to see the chicks, ducks and game birds.

I saw the chicks up there last week when I got food. I didn't walk over or I'd have wanted to buy some. We don't get the ducks and game fowl, I think you can special order but you have to buy a bunch at once.

I used to have chickens... just last year actually. With it just being me at the house, two reef ta is, my dog, the rabbit and 12 chickens was too much to handle. So I gave away the chickens in October. I had the prettiest birds, cuckoo marans. The rooster was as calm as he could be, never once acted agressive and I could walk all around the run. He would stand over the food until all the hens were full, and then he would eat. Best rooster I've had(I've had chickens a few times.) My australorp was horrible, he'd try and spur you every chance he got.

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just considering that. yes i seen that main ingredients is MEAL . Im doing the salmon, she needs the oils for her skin. I talk to other Lab owners and generally its the skin/ears or the stomach/digestion my dog is fortunate
enough to have botho_O I could probably get her used to something as long as rice is in the mix, if you know what i mean

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are making me feel better! Our dogs have allergies and we have to feed each one a different type of Blue Buffalo. One of them needs special allergy meds and medicated shampoo on top of the higher cost food. I love those girls, but they are expensive!

My dog's breeder told us 3/4 of her dogs were allergic to chicken. Do you know how much chicken is used in dog food and treats? All of it, all the chicken is put in dog food. For the first year I was super cautious and didn't let him have anything with chicken... now, just the other night he had some of my orange chicken and fried rice. I know, not very healthy! He eats everything tho, I have not found anything he will not eat. Hot sauce, pickles, lemons... you name it, he eats it. The hot sauce, vinegar and lemon juice were chewing deterrents... he's got a bit of separation anxiety and chews everything. He has to stay in his crate when I'm gone. Chewing deterrents obviously didn't work, because he eats everything and I didn't want to use anything that could be harmful.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquatic Life TDS Pen Offer
Back