Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.04 yesterday. I'll check again right quick.
Hmm... I'd like to see that higher.

I would take 3 steps in order of importance.
1) Dose H2O2 at 1ml per 10g
2) Turn off your skimmer
3) Add Walt Smith Fiji mud.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3% store bought H2O2 for the tank. Haven't used it, but I have all kinds of stuff I havent had to use like Parazipro, metroplex, kanaplex... anyway turning the skimmer off is easy.

Where do you get this Fiji mud, how much do I need, and where do I put it?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 3% store bought H2O2 for the tank. Haven't used it, but I have all kinds of stuff I havent had to use like Parazipro, metroplex, kanaplex... anyway turning the skimmer off is easy.

Where do you get this Fiji mud, how much do I need, and where do I put it?
I got the big bucket and I keep a nice layer in my sump. You could use the smaller bucket and add 1 tablespoon a week.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fiji-mud-refugium-booster-walt-smith.html

I used to be able to grow dino's by adding GFO and grow Cyanobacteria by carbon dosing. Once I put this in my sump I couldn't get either to grow. Needless to say I added it to my new system very early on.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the big bucket and I keep a nice layer in my sump. You could use the smaller bucket and add 1 tablespoon a week.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fiji-mud-refugium-booster-walt-smith.html

I used to be able to grow dino's by adding GFO and grow Cyanobacteria by carbon dosing. Once I put this in my sump I couldn't get either to grow. Needless to say I added it to my new system very early on.

Already ordered the 6lb bucket from BRS. ;) I can add it to that unused refugium section in my sump. The marine pure can go in the corner overflow in the tank. I don't have much room though, because of how low the inlet is to that section. Maybe 2-3". Does it keep in the bucket, or once it's open it has to be used?

Like potato chips... those have to be eaten as soon as you open the bag, right? That's the rule, right? No? I'm just a fat kid... ok :(

The skimmer is off(I had it elevated because even on minimum it was pulling too much out of the tank). It's rated for 150g(I know those are inflated a little bit), and I only have about 45ish gallons of water. Never measured.

I also dosed 4ml of H2O2. Is that something I need to dose daily, or one and done?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already ordered the 6lb bucket from BRS. ;) I can add it to that unused refugium section in my sump. The marine pure can go in the corner overflow in the tank. I don't have much room though, because of how low the inlet is to that section. Maybe 2-3". Does it keep in the bucket, or once it's open it has to be used?

Like potato chips... those have to be eaten as soon as you open the bag, right? That's the rule, right? No? I'm just a fat kid... ok :(

The skimmer is off(I had it elevated because even on minimum it was pulling too much out of the tank). It's rated for 150g(I know those are inflated a little bit), and I only have about 45ish gallons of water. Never measured.

I also dosed 4ml of H2O2. Is that something I need to dose daily, or one and done?
Dose the H2O2 daily. It can keep in the bucket just fine if you just want to add a tablespoon at a time. It will make the tank cloudy when you first add it but it settles out quickly. If you run filter socks you can just dump a tablespoon in them once a week.

Be warned, this is unprocessed mud straight from the ocean floor in Fiji. You could find bottle caps and other garbage in it if you are unlucky. The nice thing is that is adds trace elements and bacterial diversity. Mine even started growing Ulva algae.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only filtration on the tank right now is 14 hours reverse light cycle of chaeto reactor and a filter sock. The Kessils peak for 6 hours at 75% with a 3 hour ramp on either side. Skimmer is off, gfo and carbon have been removed for two weeks, ish. I'll back the back the chaeto off some, maybe 10 hours instead of 14. Pulling the skimmer off I'd really like to keep it running instead of spiking nutrients up by completly eliminating my filtration. Baby steps...

Be warned, this is unprocessed mud straight from the ocean floor in Fiji. You could find bottle caps and other garbage in it if you are unlucky. The nice thing is that is adds trace elements and bacterial diversity. Mine even started growing Ulva algae.

That excites me. Well, not the garbage part... but the biodiversity. I think reefing has become too sterile trying to keep pests out, rather than dealing with them if they appear. Just something I've noticed from researching this stuff the last year in the hobby. I know I'm new, and I've killed my share of corals, but it seems backwards to kill off everything in the rock that makes a reef what it is, then expect it to grow back magically.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only filtration on the tank right now is 14 hours reverse light cycle of chaeto reactor and a filter sock. The Kessils peak for 6 hours at 75% with a 3 hour ramp on either side. Skimmer is off, gfo and carbon have been removed for two weeks, ish. I'll back the back the chaeto off some, maybe 10 hours instead of 14. Pulling the skimmer off I'd really like to keep it running instead of spiking nutrients up by completly eliminating my filtration. Baby steps...

That excites me. Well, not the garbage part... but the biodiversity. I think reefing has become too sterile trying to keep pests out, rather than dealing with them if they appear. Just something I've noticed from researching this stuff the last year in the hobby. I know I'm new, and I've killed my share of corals, but it seems backwards to kill off everything in the rock that makes a reef what it is, then expect it to grow back magically.
Taking things slow can be good. And I should have said pulling the collection cup off the skimmer. If I need to raise nutrients that is what I do. I never actually turn the skimmer off since I like the aeration.

Nutramar Foods

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 I’ve heard great reviews going to have to order some. I’ll have to order some now. Makes me wish I whould have pulled sand from costa maya.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Robin Haselden ya my lfs bleached lr and reseeds it. :mad: And sells it at lr price. :mad:Have to find another lfs for lr.

I’ve read that old time reefers used only lr and powerheads as filters.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium cleaned out and marine pure moved to corner overflow. Looks like around 3" for a layer of mud. Might be able to pile it up higher in the front. Depends on the consistancy.

20180301_235439.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice above. In my case when the dino’s only appeared when I had totally bottomed out on N03/Po4. If i had a reading I had no Dino. If I hit zero there they were. similar to Brews experience of almost controlling them at will. From your pics the strain I had looked a little different but similar. The reason I asked about your Nitrate kit yesterday was to make sure you had something reliable.

Chaeto is great at pulling everything out of the water or at least it was for me so as it grows you may need to feed more and more to keep up. Keep on testing!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 I’ve heard great reviews going to have to order some. I’ll have to order some now. Makes me wish I whould have pulled sand from costa maya.
Forget ordering some, sounds like a great excuse to go back to Costa Maya! :p

Nutramar Foods

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
South England, we don't do snow!
(Everyone with a 4 wheel drive needs to butt out, watch this get zero responses!) ;)
Bored and feeling naughty, today's sipping rum is bought to you by "Red leg spiced" soon to be Appleton's signature!
Stay back!
I'm armed with a good attitude and a camera! ;)

DSC_0002 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
South England, we don't do snow!
(Everyone with a 4 wheel drive needs to butt out, watch this get zero responses!) ;)
Bored and feeling naughty, today's sipping rum is bought to you by "Red leg spiced" soon to be Appleton's signature!
Stay back!
I'm armed with a good attitude and a camera! ;)

DSC_0002 by sshipuk, on Flickr
;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Corals.com
Back