Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may not be 10 micron now but after a day or two in use on the tank they'll probably be closer to 10 than 200 anyway. I think you'll catch more than you expect.

Right, I have 200 micron socks and they catch ostreopsis dinosaurs just fine.

Nutramar Foods

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dinosaurs were attracted to GFO. Once I stopped that they left to go attack someone else's tank.

At one point I was living on the edge of nutrient disaster. I could add GFO and get dino's. I could carbon dose and get cyano. I could make them come and go at will.

Then I added some Walt Smiths Fiji mud and I lost the ability to bring them back. It makes controlling the tank easier but I did lose a cool bit of show and tell.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, around 1500 I plugged the speaker wire into the Kessil controller and the lights came on. I fed the fish and looked everything over and the digi and digi frag look horrible, but everything else was ok. Nutrients tested high, higher than they have been. Lights are still on now, can't say exactly how the tank looks... got roped into moving a refrigerator for my sister and now I'm being fed dinner at Lugoff House of Pizza by my parents. Im not turning down free food. I did get a glance at the tank because I had to swing by the house, the water was still clear... I'm might try and tackle this with the lights on. We'll upload photos after dinner.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dinosaurs were attracted to GFO. Once I stopped that they left to go attack someone else's tank.

At one point I was living on the edge of nutrient disaster. I could add GFO and get dino's. I could carbon dose and get cyano. I could make them come and go at will.

Then I added some Walt Smiths Fiji mud and I lost the ability to bring them back. It makes controlling the tank easier but I did lose a cool bit of show and tell.

I've heard good stuff about that Fiji mud miracle stuff...

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, just got home... I'm stuffed. Tank looks... good. I don't know where all the algae and bubbles went. Water is still clear also. 24 hour bacterial bloom? Brown algae that grows bubbles only after it gets a certain length.

Here's a FTS
20180226_210155.jpg

Close ups of the rock in the front... notice the large asterina eating the brown stuff in the second picture.
20180226_210201.jpg
20180226_210209.jpg

The OLNY place where I can find bubbles in algae. I didn't scrape this side of the tank yesterday. There wasn't much there and I was in a rush out the door. Still not much onnthat side, but up at the top its longer with bubbles in it.
20180226_210147.jpg

I'm gonna continue as normal. If the digi makes it, it makes it. Chaeto reactor is half full and lights are set to come on from 2200 to 1200. One hour before lights out and one hour after lights on. Flow is about this much. Yea I know, I set those valves up like a dummy. I KNOW better too, I'm a power plant operator. Valves and valving arrangement is most of my job. Dumb Turtle...

20180226_211024.jpg
20180226_211010.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, hands off from here... just check on alk and make sure it's not dropping too bad, feed the fish and let the tank ride. Alk started raising up too high last week so the doser is unplugged. Went from 8.3 to 8.7 to 9.2 over 3 days... no demand for alk right now it would seem.

Reef Dreams on the 17th, let's see if this tank will settle out by then. I have a feeling I'm going to be coming home with a few frags.

Corals.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your one of many to say add to tank. Mcarrol also recommendations where high. I guess I’ll have to order some.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen snails eating it. That one big asterina definitely was mowing down something brown on the rock. I'll check the snails tomorrow and see if they are munching on it. I'm second guessing the dinosaurs diagnosis... I honestly don't know why the water was so cloudy yesterday, or where the bubble filled brown algae went. It was everywhere guys... ugh should have taken pictures.

Chaeto reactor is online. We'll use this as a reference photo so we can track growth. Yea yea, cable management...

20180226_225850.jpg

WDKegge

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen snails eating it. That one big asterina definitely was mowing down something brown on the rock. I'll check the snails tomorrow and see if they are munching on it. I'm second guessing the dinosaurs diagnosis... I honestly don't know why the water was so cloudy yesterday, or where the bubble filled brown algae went. It was everywhere guys... ugh should have taken pictures.

Chaeto reactor is online. We'll use this as a reference photo so we can track growth. Yea yea, cable management...

View attachment 685380

Careful with those DIY chaeto reactors, I have heard about the plastic cracking on the TLF reactors from the heat that the LEDS put out.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful with those DIY chaeto reactors, I have heard about the plastic cracking on the TLF reactors from the heat that the LEDS put out.

I have heard that too, but usually it is from a thin reactor and 6' or more of light strip. I believe in this case Robin only used 3' which seems reasonable. Still something to monitor of course.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think I've noticed you in here before...

Welcome to the Deep Blue Sea @WDKegge! We'll keep an eye on that reactor and make sure it doesn't discolor. There's enough flow going thru there it shouldn't be a problem. Those LEDs aren't the brightest crayon in the box either...

WDKegge

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've noticed you in here before...

Welcome to the Deep Blue Sea @WDKegge! We'll keep an eye on that reactor and make sure it doesn't discolor. There's enough flow going thru there it shouldn't be a problem. Those LEDs aren't the brightest crayon in the box either...

I see a post with 110+ pages I had to join in and see whats going on LOL

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captain's log stardate 2018.57

Brown algae back on glass, no bubbles. Water clouds up after scraping. Chaeto reactor at full flow, still plenty of flow thru display. Sapphire damsel is chasing the multicolor wrasse. No physical contact noticed, but harassment is there. May end up (re)moving the damsel. Fedora, my pin coushion urchin made the journy over to the Deep Blue. Best CUC and bulldozer combined. Algae eating machine. Impulse ordered a ruby long fin fairy wrasse from the divers den... couldn't resist the colors.

20180227_180208.jpg
20180227_180026.jpg
20180227_180111.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day two update of running chaeto reactor. Nitrates are still over 4ppm. Haven't noticed any growth yet, videos I've watched say it takes a few days to start showing growth. Chaeto still dark green and looks clean. I do notice little tiny bubbles escaping when I shake the reactor. They may be from the pump, but possibly from photosynthesis also. Light strip has very minimal heat output, reactor acrylic is cool to the touch after running 12+ hours.

20180228_100946.jpg

World Wide Corals

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will checking ph during the cheato light cycle tell you about the functionality of the cheato. The ph should stay the same and not drop correct?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaCave Logo Banner
Back