Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say but its sounding like Dino’s. At least thats all ive seen grow over and kill otherwise healthy coral.

I was brand new when I battled it and assumed it was cyano. Now id say it was most likely due to bottoming out Nitrates/Phosphate I went with a 3 day black out and dosed stump remover to get my Nitrates up and it cleared. Water changes only made it worse.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scurvy... I'm almost certain it's dinosaurs... I had them in the nano when it was a functioning reef. Three day blackout and +1ml H2O2 per 10g tank water per day and that took care of it. Probably going to do that here.

Here's a few pics from just now. Popped the Kessils on for a minute but otherwise it's the middle of the night for the tank. Looks pretty clear compaired to last night, which lines up exactly how dinos act. Come on strong with the lights and fade away at night.

20180226_064154.jpg
20180226_064209.jpg
20180226_064201.jpg
20180226_064301.jpg
20180226_064247.jpg

The forest fire seems to be the only coral effected by them right now. The bonsai frags still look good, which I'm glad of. Thats one of my favorite corals.

Shower, bed... I'll update y'all when I see what it looks like after the lights have been on. I'm also going to do a full battery of tests. It's been a minute since I tested something other than alk.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turtle, I have some Cheato if you want some before your order arrives. I just got caught up on your thread. I m in Lugoff

Sweet, I'm off this week. Send me a pm we'll get the details ironed out.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, doesnt look so bad in the morning but by end of day it makes you sick. Id also suggest running a sock or floss to catch them as they swim/float at night. From what ive read there’s so many different breads of dinosaurs the effective treatments vary.

I cant even count how many frags i lost before realizing what i was dealing with. My newbie reaction was water changes which was oh so wrong.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, doesnt look so bad in the morning but by end of day it makes you sick. Id also suggest running a sock or floss to catch them as they swim/float at night. From what ive read there’s so many different breads of dinosaurs the effective treatments vary.

I cant even count how many frags i lost before realizing what i was dealing with. My newbie reaction was water changes which was oh so wrong.

I have a sock in the sump at all times. Gets changed every other day, or every three if I forget... Good thing 90% of my overflow goes thru the sock snd not the other way around.

Water changes are the devil with dinos... can't remember why tho.

Definitely Dino’s. Sorry turtle.

Hey, we know what we are fighting. That's most of the battle right there.

I can't decide if I want to wait until the lights come on and see how bad it is... or just cover the tank and unplug the lights now. Hmm, gotta find something big enough to cover the tank with. One black trash bag fit over the nano petty well, but the Deep Blue is a little bigger than the nano. I think I have a large blanket I'm not using that might work.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i never even bother covering the tank. Just killing the lights always worked well enough for me though i tend to live in the dark ;)

Id probably only cover it if it gets a lot ambient light or was right next to a window.

Run your water tests and see where things stand from there.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i never even bother covering the tank. Just killing the lights always worked well enough for me though i tend to live in the dark ;)

Id probably only cover it if it gets a lot ambient light or was right next to a window.

Run your water tests and see where things stand from there.

My house = a cave... it stays pretty dark in my living room and I'll close the blinds in the dining room. Should be sufficiently dark. The fish will enjoy being fed and not neglected for 3 days also.

If my nutrients are bottomed out with only a skimmer for filtration, I'll be the envy of the forums. At last this thread...

I've been feeding my normal amount for the fish, and once a week I feed 5ml oysterfeast and 2ml each of the red sea energy, split on different days. I doubt I'm at 0, but then again, I don't see much any algae growth. Just dynos.

Nutramar Foods

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For socks to work they need to be able to filter 10 micron. A diatom filter will work to. There are large cell amph dino that won’t go into the water colum. At night they do into the sandbed. Mcarrol has a great sticky thread in algea and other nuisance algea forum. Read first page and go from there.
Blow rock off every day and the socks should capture them. Good luck they are beatable and keep No3 5-10 ppm and po4 .1

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm, I can't remember what my socks are... wait, I have some in the package still. Hang on.

20180226_135456.jpg

Hmm, 200 micron. That's a little ways from 10. Oh well, black out and H2O2 worked before. Gonna try it again. Testing water here in a minute.

Closed all the blinds off, camera pics up a little bit of extra light but it's pretty dark.

20180226_132123.jpg

View attachment 20180226_082010.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may not be 10 micron now but after a day or two in use on the tank they'll probably be closer to 10 than 200 anyway. I think you'll catch more than you expect.

I'll leave then in until I see them getting clogged. Fully aware of the increased filtering capabilities of a partially clogged filter. ;) We've got these "Fuller's earth" filters on a hydraulic oil pump at work. They have to be caked for 2 hours with low pressure oil flow before being put in service. I'm certain caking my filter socks with fire proof hydraulic oil isn't reef safe tho...

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I have said it before, dude, serious, take a breath again, loads of great advise above!
Get us a set of results and what "measures" you are running.
With the rock swap you are basically running a new tank.
What is your flow like, the monti will hate that crap on it!
We might be a bunch of rum drinking drunkards but we are rum drinking drunkards that do marines and would like to help.
Slowly! ;)

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No definitely not reef safe! Just feed some reef roids with the return running and it'll clog that sock no time!

I'm out of the little sample I had. I need to pick up a jar. That stuff is great for feeding LPS.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know I have said it before, dude, serious, take a breath again, loads of great advise above!
Get us a set of results and what "measures" you are running.
With the rock swap you are basically running a new tank.
What is your flow like, the monti will hate that crap on it!
We might be a bunch of rum drinking drunkards but we are rum drinking drunkards that do marines and would like to help.
Slowly! ;)

Haha I've taken your advice and just let the tank be and look where it got me. Dinosaurs, it's like Jurassic park all over in my tank... hahaha.

Yea I know it's like a new tank. Not completely new, as I have some marine pure for bio and the rocks came out of an established tank, but yea nused... I was prepaired for diatoms and minor nuisance algaes... but dinos? Man, those suck. We're gonna beat them and get this thing back on the path we were headed on last week.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slicktop, great to meet you finally. Thanks again for the basketball size chunk of chaeto.

20180226_160514.jpg

I filled my reactor up about halfway, to leave some room for growth.

20180226_160943.jpg

That didn't put a dent in the amount you gave me... soooo...

20180226_160926.jpg

Hahaha, yea... I stuck the rest in my QT tank.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back