Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man never had any hitch hikers in my rock. Not a single one. I’m starting to believe my rock was killed and reseeded at my lfs. :( Disappointed.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get over there often, but he has a pretty good selection of rock and livestock. I wasn't really paying attention to corals this past time... I was on a mission for rock. The wrasse just grabbed my eye in the fish system.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto reactor is ready for chaeto... just need to order some chaeto now. I might end up ordering a longer LED strip as well... 3' doesn't go as far as I thought it would. I got 3.75 wraps around the reactor. I'd have liked to have had 6.

20180221_125335.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not used one as I have a refugium, I think you need to cover it in tin foil, the same stuff we use inside our hats to keep the aliens out, keep that light in!? ;)

I've heard of that before... everyone I've seen using one has it open and they grow crazy chaeto.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I forgot to mention but the BTA walked after I changed the scape up. I figured it would. Anyway, I just found it... it's on the back corner of SPS tower. It's not near anything so at least that's good. It looks happy too, all extended and stuff. Can't really see it, but it's not stinging anything and its not floating all over the tank in baloon mode.

20180221_190543.jpg
20180221_190556.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I forgot to mention but the BTA walked after I changed the scape up. I figured it would. Anyway, I just found it... it's on the back corner of SPS tower. It's not near anything so at least that's good. It looks happy too, all extended and stuff. Can't really see it, but it's not stinging anything and its not floating all over the tank in baloon mode.

View attachment 680712 View attachment 680713

Weird anemones. They love to go where you do not want them. At least the SPS seem safe so far.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto reactor is ready for chaeto... just need to order some chaeto now. I might end up ordering a longer LED strip as well... 3' doesn't go as far as I thought it would. I got 3.75 wraps around the reactor. I'd have liked to have had 6.

View attachment 680406
Be careful to much led rope will produce heat and crack the reactor. Tinfoil may keep heat in as well

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I though of something recently Turtle. How much flow was going through your fuge? Was your Cheato tumbling? If it was too slow it wasn’t enough flow. That could be the melting problem.

Barely any flow at all... that's why we are going chaeto reactor instead of refugium. That split flow fuge is s#!+...

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya Turtle, With the Chaeto reactor I'll sugest trying it with just the 3 foot light you have now. In my case and I tried it 3 times.... I would grow the crap out of the chaeto the first time I added it to the reactor. Once I harvested however i could never get it to re-grow again.... It would slowly melt away. I think I was stripping the water to the point there was nothing left to feed the algae. I'd wait a couple, three weeeks and start the process again. Tried reducing photo period to as little as 6 hours ON but even that wouldn't do it. I gave up on it and went back to carbon dosing 2ml's every other day to keep things in check.

So with less light you may have more long term, consistent success.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sfin52 I have racked my brain thinking of how to do that and the answer is a new sump... which will be a Trigger Sapphire 20 cube, and under my 90g when I get it.

@Scurvy, I think the key is to keep nutrients up high enough for the chaeto to grow. Feed like mad and make the fish happy. Idk... fishofhex on YouTube has had a Triton system 30g cube going for about the same time and he's been WAY more successful with it than I have with mine. Acros in on day 8 and they are growing. He's been at this longer than me tho...

Top Shelf Aquatics

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're absolutely right about needing to keep nutrients up high enough however i couldn't do it and I got to the point I was feeding heavily 3 times a day plus reef roids 2 or 3 days a week and phyto at least 3 nights a week if not more.... i just couldn't keep up!

I think too he has a very small skimmer on that tank where we have bigger skimmers most likely pulling a lot more out of the water... His reactor i would say is the primary filtration on that system. We're in the opposite position of that equation me thinks.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back