Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... hard to get a good picture of them.

20180216_170322.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow those are so cool and lots of lfs use closed systems. I meaning that indidvidual tanks are not connected to each other. My lfs uses both. Hopefully that wrasse was on a closed system.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good with the wrasse... he's hiding under the rock 90% of the day, but comes out to eat. Colors are awesome. I'm relaxing in the hammock right now, but when it gets dark out here I'll go back inside and feed all the fish again.

Argyle says hi.

View attachment 20180216_175011.jpg

Ugh... took that photo on high res, and it auto adds it to the post sideways. Sorry guys can't change it. He's jumped down too and is running around the back yard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fed the fish then turned all my pumps off and target fed my corals with Reef Roids. The acans of course have the biggest feeding responce, but the lobo is a first runner up. I counted 7 mouths opening up to very slowly take in the thick paste. I like to mix up the powder with as little water as needed to make a thick paste, then suck it up in a spare 1ml syringe and target feed that way. You can really get a lot of food in the coral. The LPS and BTA I try to very slowly squirt the food out so it comes out kinda like an icecream machine... they really pull in a ton of food. The SPS and zoas I kinda fog over the top of them, as their mouths are too small to target.

20180216_184105.jpg

20180216_184108.jpg

View attachment 20180216_184116.jpg

20180216_184131.jpg

20180216_184151.jpg

View attachment 20180216_184159.jpg

View attachment 20180216_184519.jpg

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching and thinking, I know I have said it before but someone needs to play devil's advocate.
Sorry!
You need to take a breath, again imo, too hard to fast.
I am not going to harp on about your maintenance regime, each to their own but you appear to be trying too hard still.
This makes me sad.
I know my tank is over 2 years old now but all I run is a skimmer and a refugium, no waterchanges unless I have a very good reason to do so, manual dosing and manual ro top up.
In my opinion again, it will take way longer to become a "system" if you keep fiddling with it!
Please siphon your zoas clean, they will be hating that red crap around them.
I just took this, hopefully as inspiration, it is not all about chasing numbers.
Sorry if this lowers the mood everyone!

DSC_0001 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Nutramar Foods

siggy

I'm still swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@siggy how do they tell you when something is off
Like several corals i guess, my blue one will shrink and get wrinkly and wont open up, that one's really sensitive to salinity and temp swings which I recently discovered. Also I have been going longer between water changes and that one knows
mind bullets.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@najer, No foul mood, I've been doing a LOT to the tank recently... and it's shown. My corals are still hanging in there, so there's that. :)

I was completely unhappy with the pukani rock. I had to change something or I was going to go down the dark spiral of tank neglect. The new aged rock fixed that problem, along with a few others. I haven't done a water change in a week and a half now. I think, maybe two weeks. Well, I did change about a gallon Thursday... That was the whole idea with this tank, control nutrients via macro algae and dose elements back into the tank. Kinda Triton method, without using the expensive and impossible to get Triton chemicals... Water changes are an expensive and ineffective way to doing both of those. I run carbon and GFO in my reactor for now, but it's getting turned into a chaeto reactor soon. Red and blue LED strip lights should come in today. All the algae has been removed from the refugium, because it was rotting and I'm sure was releasing nutrients. I'm positive there's too little flow thru that part of the sump. Being a split design with two flow paths, most of my water is flowing thru the filter sock and into the skimmer section. The refugium barely has any water flow. I'm going to fill that section up with marine pure to add surface area for bio filter and pods.

So in another week or so, I'll have my chaeto reactor running, the dosing pump is pretty much dialed in at 2ml of each part a day... Although, I think I'm gonna split the doses by 1ml per 12 hours instead of dosing 2ml per 24 for better stability. Time for hands off and enjoy the tank.

28 days until Reef Dreams, lets see if we can keep our hands OUT of the tank until then. After I get back I'll have some new sexiness to put in the tank.

24991203_321003538307280_6106495552135872575_n.jpg

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the colors in that Lobo. Funny.... that first picture you put up It looked like a frozen Omaha steak!
That was the under side of the coral. I couldn't even see the top of it thru all the bags they had it in. It ate last night, but never expanded it's tissue. Hopefully it'll settle in soon.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... anywho, back to the serious stuff, today is mostly turning into a Guinness and vodka day! :)
Jealous, I'm stuck at work for at least the next 8 hours. Getting too hot here for Guinness anyway. About time for the ales and lagers. High today is a chilly 66*F, but will be back in the 80s next week.

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jealous, I'm stuck at work for at least the next 8 hours. Getting too hot here for Guinness anyway. About time for the ales and lagers. High today is a chilly 66*F, but will be back in the 80s next week.

Pffft, "mild" 50 f here, hate winter! ;)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Headed to Maine in the morning....It’ll be a balmy 28 degree’s and blankets of snow! I see a bottle of Fireball inn my future!

What is snow? Lol... and cinnamon anything... ugh ;Yuck;Vomit

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not have a thriving Refugium, but at least you aren’t losing fish by multiples per day[emoji53]
IMG_0887.JPG

I’ll propose a trade. You get the thriving refugium, if I can get a velvet free tank.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m reporting you to the board of Red Neck affairs for turning down whiskey!
Never liked whiskey until I tried that old Smokey Tennessee turtle. The rest of it tastes like excrement. And fireball, the candy or the whiskey is horrible along with big red gum. I cant stand cinnamon anything.

I'm a rum drinker... with a name like Scurvy, maybe you need a tankard of rum.

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not have a thriving Refugium, but at least you aren’t losing fish by multiples per day[emoji53]View attachment 677429
I’ll propose a trade. You get the thriving refugium, if I can get a velvet free tank.
Oh no, Zack... not velvet. I beat it with FW dips and coppersafe at 2.0ppm. I only lost a tiny baby coral beauty. As soon as I noticed it I did a FW dip on her and an Atlantic blue tang I had that was showing symptoms then into copper. The beauty didn't make it thru the night but everyone else came out just fine.

Bonnie and Clyde are the only two fish I still have from that tank. I traded the tangs in to a LFS, and the six line jumped. Stupid evil shrimp bullied it into committing suicide by hardwood.

Corals.com

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just letting it run its course right now. I could pull all the fish out, but at this point it’s not worth the hassle. I already lost my prized possession of a PBT and a Harem of pink Skunks. As well as my favorite Canary blenny. I thought I lost my pair of Mandarins this morning but it turns out since they have gotten together. Their just late risers now[emoji57]

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back