Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also had reservations about using formalin in the house. I’ve set up a hospital tank in the garage the past before to work around this. Not sure if this advice works for your case.
It's sadly below freezing in my environment so a garage setup is probably not an option :( it's unfortunate because from what I've read formaline works wonders and is one of the only effective treatments for brook. Deciding to risk my family of cancer for a few fish or try my luck without it. Oh the decisions.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

threebuoys

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Rally contains foermalin, Ruby Rally Pro does not.Ruby Reef changed their formulation and added the word Pro to the name several years ago. I learned this in an email exchange with a representative of Ruby Reef.

The instructions claim the new product still works for Brook. The main ingredient is acriflavine. I have not had a case of Brook to test the product, nor have I seen any testimonials. While recommendations for treatments are regularly offered, seldom do we hear back if fish surive.

OP
OP
I

InformerAnts

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby Rally contains foermalin, Ruby Rally Pro does not.Ruby Reef changed their formulation and added the word Pro to the name several years ago. I learned this in an email exchange with a representative of Ruby Reef.

The instructions claim the new product still works for Brook. The main ingredient is acriflavine. I have not had a case of Brook to test the product, nor have I seen any testimonials. While recommendations for treatments are regularly offered, seldom do we hear back if fish surive.
I actually Called them before i saw this and got the same from the representative at. He said there is a trace of formalin but only as a bonding agent to create a new atom. I believe he said .09% is used and its not considered dangerous to handle and use, let alone part of the treatment. Thanks for the reply!

Id love to keep updating this post for any other reefer out there battling the same, My cardinals, Clowns, and goby are all eating and doing great in QT with ruby reef dosed and I have been bathing my Clown in it for 90 minutes per day via instructions from Humble Fish. Unfortunatly I had to euthanize my first clownfish ive ever got because he was swimming upside down and in circles. He lost all of his fins with no sign of it getting better and I couldnt watch him suffer anymore. He would get stuck on the small 10G HOB filter intake which isnt a good sign, but still alive. To top it off I also lost my filefish while i was at work, the worst part was he was doing great! But got stuck on the filter intake as well. My other clown sleeps underneath the filter intake in my DT so there was no reason they cant handle an under powered HOB filter.

What ive been doing: Keeping copper levels at therapeutic and ammonia levels in check. Dosed general cure to the tank, and after 48 hours I started using Ruby Reef. Ive also kept temperature at 81 degrees stable and treating with hypo salinity. My black clown is looking so much better with their goofy up down up down movement. My goby seems ticked he has no rocks to hide under and no sand to sift tho. After seeing how deadly and fast killing Brook and Velvet is, Im ecstatic that I so far saved 5 fish.

Here are pictures of my Orange clownfish that i believe couldn't pull through the brook and later got Uronema marinum during treatment. Nobody was nipping at him either.

20230407_024957.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AFX
Back