Marine velvet or something else? I need advice

RastaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

I am new and I guess this is my first post.

Unfortunately I think I got marine velvet from a mandarin goby. I didn't quarantine him as I should have done. I lost all my fish 1 bristletooth tang, royal gramma, blue tail damselfish, pair of clowns

The tank has been sitting fishless for 57 days now, I am itching to introduce new fish to it. The feedback that I got while reading other posts regarding marine velvet is the period should between 60-75 days.

Also the question based on the pictures attached is if this indeed was marine velvet or something else ?

Many thanks.

Peste 1.jpeg Peste 2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello guys,

Unfortunately I think I got marine velvet from a mandarin goby. I didn't quarantine him as I should have done. I lost all my fish 1 bristletooth tang, royal gramma, blue tail damselfish, pair of clowns

The tank has been sitting fishless for 57 days now, I am itching to introduce new fish to it. The feedback that I got while reading other posts regarding marine velvet is the period should between 60-75 days.

Also the question based on the pictures attached is if this indeed was marine velvet or something else ?

Many thanks.

This is ich and fish will need treatment using coppersafe at 2.25. I see this is a quarantine tank- are you medicating with anything?

OP
OP
R

RastaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello vette,
Thanks for the quick reply, the pictures with the clowns is old as they died a few days after starting quarantine ( this was 58 days ago, and I was dosing cupramine seachem until they died.

The main question is how long should I leave the tank fallow without fish? Today it's 58 days since I removed all the sick fish.

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,

Many thanks.

Velvet is pretty rare and the primary symptoms are very rapid breathing, not eating, hanging in water currents followed swiftly by death. Spots, if they are seen at all, are very small, dust like, and only seen at the very end of the infection.

These spots look too large for velvet, more like ich.

Fallow period for ich is 60 days, velvet is a bit shorter and brooklynella is shorter still.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that ich if your fish are dying very quickly. Mandarin is very ich resistant. Those clowns have brook which kills fish very quickly. Ich is a slow progressive disease that gets worse over many weeks before the fish die.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello vette,
Thanks for the quick reply, the pictures with the clowns is old as they died a few days after starting quarantine ( this was 58 days ago, and I was dosing cupramine seachem until they died.

The main question is how long should I leave the tank fallow without fish? Today it's 58 days since I removed all the sick fish.

Thanks
Yes go to 60 days and do a good water change thereafter. Cupramine is an ionic form and more potent. What copper level were you maintaining?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back