OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nighttime ‘scape is a whole other world. The coralline really pops! The rock has come a long way in 8 months :)

IMG_1106.jpeg

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a Blue Zing seriatapora (also at night) that is growing weird. The underside obviously isn’t getting any light at all, and is dying. The top side however is looking fantastic. It’s almost growing into a table type structure.

Could this be a flow issue? Because the top is looking very happy/healthy when the lights are on.

IMG_1107.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shading ? I would frag off top ,make a new colony w frags, bottom should recover become another colony ... :)

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What is the effect of having 15-20 people over for a few hours?

Exhibit A:

IMG_1124.jpeg

Green arrow: people started arriving (4pm)

Blue arrow: most everybody gone (9pm)

Interestingly, there’s a “delay” in the maximum effect. It turns out it takes some time for the majority of the CO2 to work its way into the system. I guess that makes sense when you think about it :)

Shooting Star GIF

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Into the acclimation box!

IMG_1173.jpeg

I put the mandarin pair in the mangrove tank for now. No other fish, and tons of pods, so it’s a nice place for them to de-stress :)

IMG_1175.jpeg

Can you see the female? Way back in the “cave”

IMG_1176.jpeg

I also got an urchin to try to take control of that hair algae!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All 3 new additions have survived the 36 hour mark.

If you remember, my last 2 new additions died mysteriously at 12 and 18 hours in qt. No QT this time. These are from Biota and were in my LFS’s isolated Biota/invert system. It’s obviously not 100% safe but definitely safer than their other system with their wc stuff. Calculated risk I suppose :grimacing-face:

Last edited:

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 new additions have survived the 36 hour mark.

If you remember, my last 2 new additions dudes mysteriously at 12 and 18 hours in qt. No QT this time. These are from Biota and were in my LFS’s isolated Biota/invert system. It’s obviously not 100% safe but definitely safer than their other system with their wc stuff. Calculated risk I suppose :grimacing-face:
I always worry about new additions the first few nights too! Seems like that 72 hrs mark is pivotal. Very rarely do I lose anything after the 3rd night.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m wondering how long I should keep the yellow tang in the isolation box. Nobody else seems to be giving him any consideration at this point. I’m not sure they did even when I first put it in the tank.

The female seems to be a little bit skinny, but I don’t know what’s normal for Dragonets this small. There should be plenty of food in there. Pods everywhere!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also I finally (almost!) finished the door for my control board! I just need to sand some wood filler and figure out a mechanism to keep the door in place - besides screws :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I would have left it open in all its glory but my wife was kind enough to offer the space on that wall to me, so I wanna keep her happy lol

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_1194.jpeg
IMG_4362.jpeg

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I finally (almost!) finished the door for my control board! I just need to sand some wood filler and figure out a mechanism to keep the door in place - besides screws :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I would have left it open in all its glory but my wife was kind enough to offer the space on that wall to me, so I wanna keep her happy lol

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_1194.jpeg
IMG_4362.jpeg
I used cabinet door magnets when I finished my basement and needed a solution to cover my water shut off valve. I used 4 for my 2x3 access door.

20240902_202528.jpg

Similar to these, but I bought mine from either Lowes or HD.

Amazon product

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0412.jpeg

IMG_1194.jpeg
IMG_4362.jpeg
Beautiful :’)

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used cabinet door magnets when I finished my basement and needed a solution to cover my water shut off valve. I used 4 for my 2x3 access door.

20240902_202528.jpg

Similar to these, but I bought mine from either Lowes or HD.

Amazon product

The only issue is the door is not exactly lightweight. It would take some WICKED strong magnets :grimacing-face:

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I finally fragged my Blue Zing seriatapora that was dying from the bottom up because it was shading itself. Won’t lie. Kind of a pain because it’s brittle (I knew this going into it). I went from one medium size colony to 7 frags (then an 8th after the photo when one more broke).

IMG_1208.jpeg
IMG_1211.jpeg

I knew it was going to be a tangled mess but I didn’t expect the branches would grow apart, then back into each other.

IMG_1210.jpeg

It was also a pain to find 8 places to put the SAME CORAL. I need to find somebody local who wants some!

Also… I want to figure out why there’s SO MUCH more coralline on the right side of the tank vs the left!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could counter sink neodymium magnets in the door with steel angle brackets in the sides of the cabinet. Same concept, just bigger scale.

Oooh I hadn’t thought about angle iron! I’ll have to consider that.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They get more yellow with age, correct?

Yep. A lot. That’s the most common remark I’ve heard about the itty bitty Biota captive bred yellow tangs “they’re so pale!”

A number of people have posted threads here about how much they yellow up over time.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back