The Other Way to Run a Reef Tank (no Quarantine)

BRS

theMeat

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post a picture (if I can find it) of my tank from 1978 or so. With live rock from Florida. When we moved - the tank had to be taken down. My current tank has some rock thats about 20 years old (I added to it when I got a larger system). I believe the purple tang in my tank is about 10 or so years old. I lost a lot of old coral and fish during a 24 hour power failure that happened when we were on vacation. The point being - lots of people have 'done this a long time' - And, IMHO, the reason people don't have tanks that are 40 years old is not because they are constantly 'failing' - its at least in part due to the fact that things happen - they move, have to stop for a bit due to where they are living, etc. Having a tank or part of a tank - for 40 years is certainly an accomplishment. Not having one - is not an 'indictment' IMHO
What you know, you know. Think here among many people who take the time to know this premise may be truer. Than among the imo much larger population of reefers who don’t know, and depend on half truths, myths, and they mix up good advice from different ppl who use dif methods, which leads them to get frustrated and give up.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a bad idea to remove ich from your tank. Those are the tanks that have all the disease problems. They also can't feed fresh or live food, can't use NSW and have to quarantine every wet thing that ever goes into those tanks. Thats why there are no old quarantined tanks. :cool:

Remove Ich from tank:

Using my 75G display 25 year set up as a case study of dormat ich, with no additions for two years to the system. Due to a power failure with low oxygen stress event, ich was on almost every fish. During those days research papers said 14 day incubation period for ich tromp. Now days, we say 72 days. I say nature will find a way. In the case of this outbreak, I did nothing bur provide stable conditions. Everything cleared up. I moved this same tank once, 11 years ago. With this tank set up for two years after my move, I received 6 tiny Hippo Tangs to go into differrent systems. Shipment received from Divers Den, who advertised 90 day quarantine. Five of the six Hippos had obvious Ich white spots and three of those fish were gasping for air. I made an executive decision and added all ich infected hippos to my mature 75G tank. All Hippos recovered and were moved to different systems. Stress is the single biggest contributor to killing fish than all other contributors combined, including parasites.

Last edited:

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like an opportunity for someone to bottle ich eating microorganisms?
Or would that be copepods, or something similar? Maybe fish who are eating pods are so happy for fresh food instead of a flake-Macs with fries for lunch that they just shake the ich off?

Nothing new under the sun?

Gordon Ramsay Food GIF by PeacockTV

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp, cleaner fish on the big side.

Cyst Stage:
Tomonts range in size from 94.5 x 170 µm (~ 1/10 mm x 1/6 mm) to 252 x 441 µm (~1/4 x 1/2 mm).
These are on surfaces in the tank as cysts (eggs). They are out in the open ripe for predation. Why are there no studies on predators of this stage?

Infective Stage:
Theronts of one strain were 20–30 x 50–70 µm (Colorni 1985),
This is a free swimming stage and what people hope that the UV will kill (and the protomonts).

Phytoplankton in contrast:
Phytoplankton range over nine orders of magnitude in cell volume: from <2 µm in equivalent spherical diameter for the picoplankton, 2–20 µm for the nanoplankton, 20–200 µm for the microplankton, up to 200–<2000 µm for macroplankton
If we think phytoplankton is consumed by our aquariums by filter feeders and such then why is it so laughable to assume that the ich free swimming stages are somehow eschewed by those same filter feeders?

This doesn't even go into Paul's notion about immune response and natural defenses in the fish themselves.

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp, cleaner fish on the big side.

Cyst Stage:

These are on surfaces in the tank as cysts (eggs). They are out in the open ripe for predation. Why are there no studies on predators of this stage?

Infective Stage:

This is a free swimming stage and what people hope that the UV will kill (and the protomonts).

Phytoplankton in contrast:

If we think phytoplankton is consumed by our aquariums by filter feeders and such then why is it so laughable to assume that the ich free swimming stages are somehow eschewed by those same filter feeders?

This doesn't even go into Paul's notion about immune response and natural defenses in the fish themselves.

With new scientific methods, the complexity of the Coral Holobiont is only just beginning to be understood.

[These are on surfaces in the tank as cysts (eggs). They are out in the open ripe for predation. Why are there no studies on predators of this stage?]

Any micro biologist out there? What eats free ich in its differrent stages?

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there Subsea. I remember well as I was here for those Burgess, Mathews, Axelrod studies in the 80s and 90s.
They researched the life cycle of all sorts of parasites and were very good at it. The problem with that study was twofold.

When they did those studies (a long time ago) we didn't run reefs and almost all of us had just fish tanks that were never that healthy. Including mine.
The other issue is that they are "scientists" not hobbiests and did their research in Lab style bare fish tanks. "Fish in such tanks will get any disease they can spell and will not be healthy even in the absence of parasites. "
They were just like quarantine tanks.

They did mention immunity here:

Immunity​

As is seen with other diseases, general fish health and environmental factors including water quality will affect the status of the fish's immune system and may worsen the effects of an infection. If the immune status of the fish is compromised or if environmental factors are less than optimal, Cryptocaryon infection will be even more explosive and harmful.

Fish that survive a Cryptocaryon infection develop immunity, which can prevent significant disease for up to 6 months (Burgess 1992; Burgess and Matthews 1995). However, these survivors may act as carriers and provide a reservoir for future outbreaks (Colorni and Burgess 1997).

More targeted development of a vaccine to protect against Cryptocaryon irritans has been ongoing for a number of years (Yambot and Song 2006; Hatanaka 2007; Luo et al. 2007; Bai et al. 2008), and preliminary results are encouraging. However, vaccine development is a lengthy process, and no commercial vaccines are currently available.
End quote

Studies of the immune system just came out in the last few years and they knew very little about it 30 years ago.

They were correct that immunity lasts for a period of time. I think they guessed at that 6 month figure because I am sure every species is different but whatever it is, there is a period of immunity.

The other thing that they failed to mention or study is that in a healthy running eco system like our tanks are supposed to be, parasites will be living in there along with the fish that they said had immunity.

Those parasites will constantly try to infect those immune fish but the fishes immunity will prevent the parasites from doing that very well and the parasites will never be able to reach epidemic proportions.
Even they said "those fish act as carriers." Meaning they could still house parasites even though they are not affected.

The presence of living parasites will push that 6 month immunity period to indefinite immunity.

I wrote them about this when they were coming out with these studies.

If this were not true, mine and many other old immune tanks would not be a reality. But they are.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul recently added a sick fish to his system and it survived. He mentioned that his ozone is offline for 5 months. UV in a marine system has been shown to be 100% effective where? (His diatom filter use is also occasionally employed.)
Since I started this thread a couple of years ago, my Ozone generator is still broken and I have not used it in over 3 years before I moved here.
I have also added 3 or 4 diseased parasite infected fish since I started this. I posted about all of them someplace on my thread. I have no idea how many sick fish I added in fifty years and I couldn't even guess. :p
But at any rate... I dont recall Paul saying he has introduced an infected fish while both the diatom and ozone were offline. Again, not that that would prove anything.
See above statement. I do still use my diatom filter maybe once or twice a year for an hour or so to stir up my gravel and sometimes when I collect NSW because I collect it from the surf and it is full of mud and chopped up seaweed.

If you think running a diatom filter for 3 or 4 hours a year is the key. Do that. :cool:
PS I never had a UV

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, for some reason many people just won't get that and think I want to kill or reduce parasites for some reason.
Lots to discuss here. The study you're talking about (the 6 month one - that was done 'in a lab' - (a QT tank). A couple groups of Fish (1that had documented immunity to CI - i.e. that survived an infection and another were a control group (no Immunity)) Both groups were exposed to the same amount of CI - then mortality - as well as parasite 'burden' was measured over time.

The immune group had almost no parasites at 1 month and 0 at 3 months - and I believe no mortality. Non-immune group had lots of parasites and lots of mortality. The last group of fish was sacrificed at 6 months - at which point, though there was Now CI present on the 'immune' fish (where previously it was gone) - it was still only a small fraction of the control group. Thus the oft repeated 'conclusion' that immunity lasts 6 months. In fact - no one knows how long it lasts - because it was only studied 'up to 6 months'.

Second - The fact that the study was done 'in a lab' - with no 'reef' - but STILL fish survived up to 6 months - with little or no mortality - suggests by itself that some of your comments are not completely correct - (though I dont know if they used ocean mud or white worms, etc - I seem to remember that they were kept in sterile conditions and likely received standard sterile dry food).

Third - you are correct in that no one knows whether this experiment applies to every other type of fish - and whether immunity in an emporator angelfish is 6 months 6 weeks or 600 months.

CLICK TO VIEW

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will ask a couple simple questions.
1. You buy a fish - from an internet source. You put it into a tank. Its been flown around the world, stressed, not fed for a couple days before leaving and during the trip. Now - you drop it in your display tank - with new fish, new surroundings, etc - which is also going to cause 'stress'. And that new tank holds 'small amounts' of parasites x and y - How long does everyone think that it will take for 'white worms, etc' to build up the fish enough to allow it to fend off CI (or velvet) - on its own?

2. If immunity lasts for 6 months - without re-innoculation - and at least according (correct me if I'm wrong @Paul B) a 'Quarantine' is 76 days (which is 2.5 months) - how would immunity be effected by QT (alone) - since a at least - from what I understand - all fish that come from 'the wild' have been exposed to CI?

3. If you're talking about QT + medications (like Copper) - which has been shown to affect (not destroy) immunity - what evidence is there that there would be a significant problem?

My comment / opinion. Most people (contrary to what some here have said) - do not quarantine - and if they do - they do not quarantine with medications - and certainly not for 2.5 months (according to MULTIPLE polls on this site). Yet there is a disease forum - with lots of people reporting LOTS of problems after adding fish very shortly after the addition. To me this suggests that feeding, etc - while important - does not rely on 'live food's, diversity, etc - it implies that if at all - it relates to the 'quality' of the food. My guess - is that a lot of issues have to do with the source of the fish, the stocking density in the tank, the travel-time (stress) the fish have had and the seeming rapidity that people seem to want to add fish to tanks. This is not an argument or debate - just a summary of MY opinion.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- but STILL fish survived up to 6 months - with little or no mortality - suggests by itself that some of your comments are not completely correct
None of my comments are 100% correct. That would make me perfect and I am not. There is an unbelievable amount of information I don't know. Many things I have been wrong about and thousands of mistakes I have and always will make. :rolleyes:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. You buy a fish - from an internet source. You put it into a tank. Its been flown around the world, stressed, not fed for a couple days before leaving and during the trip. Now - you drop it in your display tank - with new fish, new surroundings, etc - which is also going to cause 'stress'. And that new tank holds 'small amounts' of parasites x and y - How long does everyone think that it will take for 'white worms, etc' to build up the fish enough to allow it to fend off CI (or velvet) - on its own?
This is too simplistic.

You're making some very broad assumptions about the husbandry of the aquarist. I agree with the premise that transportation of the fish through the supply chain is incredibly stressful. I would also add that because of the concentration of many fish from many places there are going to be far more than X and Y present. A and B from every tank that the fish has resided in will likely be present. This is a hellava load on the fishes immune system. At this point I will state that the fishes immune system will be working in overdrive. Add starvation as a damper to the immune response and the fish will need to start burning reserves to keep up. When the fish hits the tank it's immune response will be in over drive and it will have a hunger that won't stop. Sound familar?

Let's say we are lucky enough to get the fish eating. Their appetite will be insatiable. As you feed that appetite you are fueling their immune system. The question is how far they have depleted their reserves. Too far they die. When they die it will be like Paul's 99 year old grandmother, from something. What then do we say was the real cause of death. The disease that took advantage of devastated biological system, or the cause of the devastation of the biological system. Either way they are dead.

If a very stressed fish is introduced into a tank that is 100% stress free, this is an assumption that this is possible, but what Paul is trying to say his tank is. Then what happens? More than likely the fish will get sick. Why, I use examples in my own life. If I am in a very stressful outdoor situation, for me this is often a cold situation, then when the situation is gotten through is when the sickness happens. This is why people that use natural systems strive to provide habitates that are stress free. Places for fish to hide, good oxygen levels, and yes even nutrious food. All of these things help fish to destress and go back to "normal". The going back to normal takes time, and it is during this time that things need to remain stable. Also during this time X and Y will be in check and will not be as damaging as A and B, but a solidly biodiverse tank will quickly adapt to A and B and blunt their impact.

None of what I have said is proven. It is my attempt to piece together the observations that I have made. I can however solidly say that what I have said matches the experience that I have had. It is very unlikely we will get studies one way or another, because there is no money involved.

2. If immunity lasts for 6 months - without re-innoculation - and at least according (correct me if I'm wrong @Paul B) a 'Quarantine' is 76 days (which is 2.5 months) - how would immunity be effected by QT (alone) - since a at least - from what I understand - all fish that come from 'the wild' have been exposed to CI?
If they have immunity from the wild or even as they move through the systems, then they have immunity. How long that immunity lasts is unknown. The question I have is if they have immunity then why bother to QT, and when I say QT I am assuming medicated QT. How would medicating a fish that has been innoculated be of any value other than to maybe relieve symptoms. Relieving symptoms has it's value, that is why we have pain medications, because they help your body calm down to start healing. With that we would have to as aquarists weigh the relieving of symptoms vs. the movement to a stress free environment.

3. If you're talking about QT + medications (like Copper) - which has been shown to affect (not destroy) immunity - what evidence is there that there would be a significant problem?
Affect how? Positively or negatively? If the treatment blunts the immunity and only provides partial immunity then I think that that pretty answers why not to use the medication. If the treatment helps with immunity, then I am skeptical and would want to see some evidence of that mechanism.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my thread about 8 or so months ago I bought a fish on line. It was a copperband and the only fish I ever bought online and I threw it in my tank. That fish as you said, was collected, swum around in a canoe, was held at the wholesaler probably in south Africa for a few days, spent 36 hours in a bag coming to the US, then spent time at the wholesaler here in the States, then back on a plane in a box for many hours to my airport, then more time in a box to me.

That fish was already stressed beyond what any human would live through so throwing him in my tank was probably the best thing that happened to it and I am sure he was thrilled. If I then fresh water dipped him, put him in a quarantine tank for any number of days and maybe medicated him, I am sure he would be dead now or at least senile with severs PTSD.

It doesn't need any time for white worms to do anything because all fish from the sea are already immune. If they were not, they would have died way before I got him. You know that as I have mentioned it a thousand times.
That 6 months was from Burgess, not me. I would imagine, and I am guessing that as long as the fish is in quarantine, the longer it stays away from parasites, the weaker it's immunity to them it will become. I don't think 6 months is a magical number. But if you quarantine that fish for any amount of time, then put it in a quarantined tank where there are no parasites, that fish will eventually lose whatever immunity it has. A fish with no immunity is not a healthy fish. I have a very good friend with bone cancer. He goes for chemo and radiation all the time and has an impaired immunity.

He can't see anyone,can't go out, can't do almost anything and looks horrible. He wants to die as he is in constant pain and has no energy at all.
Copper is a poison that will kill bacteria. Door knobs used to be made of copper for that reason. Copper is to expensive now to make doorknobs out of. Fish with no stomach bacteria are almost dead fish and that also kills immunity because stomach bacteria control immunity in us and fish.
(I didn't make that up and I linked studies many times)

This is not an argument or debate - just a summary of MY opinion.

This is not an argument either, the summary of my opinion is that if I can have a fifty year old tank (Yes you will say it is 40 years old but thats OK< whatever the age)
In all that time if ich or velvet affected my fish, my tank would have crashed. Research what I have wrote for the last 30 years and see if you see any evidence for a crash. This does not prove my method works, but 50 years "Implies" it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my thread about 8 or so months ago I bought a fish on line. It was a copperband and the only fish I ever bought online and I threw it in my tank. That fish as you said, was collected, swum around in a canoe, was held at the wholesaler probably in south Africa for a few days, spent 36 hours in a bag coming to the US, then spent time at the wholesaler here in the States, then back on a plane in a box for many hours to my airport, then more time in a box to me.

That fish was already stressed beyond what any human would live through so throwing him in my tank was probably the best thing that happened to it and I am sure he was thrilled. If I then fresh water dipped him, put him in a quarantine tank for any number of days and maybe medicated him, I am sure he would be dead now or at least senile with severs PTSD.

It doesn't need any time for white worms to do anything because all fish from the sea are already immune. If they were not, they would have died way before I got him. You know that as I have mentioned it a thousand times.

That 6 months was from Burgess, not me. I would imagine, and I am guessing that as long as the fish is in quarantine, the longer it stays away from parasites, the weaker it's immunity to them it will become. I don't think 6 months is a magical number. But if you quarantine that fish for any amount of time, then put it in a quarantined tank where there are no parasites, that fish will eventually lose whatever immunity it has. A fish with no immunity is not a healthy fish. I have a very good friend with bone cancer. He goes for chemo and radiation all the time and has an impaired immunity.

He can't see anyone,can't go out, can't do almost anything and looks horrible. He wants to die as he is in constant pain and has no energy at all.

Copper is a poison that will kill bacteria. Door knobs used to be made of copper for that reason. Copper is to expensive now to make doorknobs out of. Fish with no stomach bacteria are almost dead fish and that also kills immunity because stomach bacteria control immunity in us and fish.

This is not an argument either, the summary of my opinion is that if I can have a fifty year old tank (Yes you will say it is 40 years old but thats OK< whatever the age)
In all that time if ich or velvet affected my fish, my tank would have crashed. Research what I have wrote for the last 30 years and see if you see any evidence for a crash. This does not prove my method works, but 50 years "Implies" it.
Thanks - I agree - it works for you. Like I've said 1000 times - I never said it 'didn't work'.. What I do works 'for me'. Its not that either one of us are 'right' or 'wrong' that what we do works - necessarily. I try to be succinct - but often long-winded. My guess is that there are multiple things that have led to your success having nothing to do with clams etc - but rather your meticulous record keeping, your knowledge, your experience, your strong desire to succeed in this hobby, your relative low stocking density compared to a lot of new hobbyists and probably a lot of other reasons. I probably have my degree of success because of a host of other reasons. For example - I wouldn't say 'I have had a purple tang for 12 years - he is fat, happy, doesnt have HLLE - etc - and I feed him/her flake food and rare LFS - so that means Nori is not necessary (or boiled spinach, etc) I haven't found it necessary - probably becasue the tang is getting what it needs from the tank and rock. BTW - nor would I say - you don't need to feed white worms - because I dont.

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to respond to this. Every individual sentence you write up there is true. Stringing them together seems to make the case that copper destroys all bacteria. However, that is not the case. Just because each 'part' is true - does not mean the conclusion is true. In fact Copper doesn't even kill all CI - it just kills enough such that fish are not overwhelmed. Also, in fact, the levels of copper in a QT bath do not kill 'all bacteria' in the water, on the rock, etc - thus how could it possibly kill all bacteria, etc - in the fish itself?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is not an argument or debate - just a summary of MY opinion.

In all that time if ich or velvet affected my fish, my tank would have crashed. Research what I have wrote for the last 30 years and see if you see any evidence for a crash. This does not prove my method works, but 50 years "Implies" it. :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See Mn. You did it again. I said copper is a poison and it will kill bacteria. You added "all" bacteria. I didn't say all. Just like if I used weed killer on my lawn, I would expect it to kill the weeds, but I doubt it would kill all the weeds. Some weeds may be hidden behind something or not enough weed killer hit it. I also know napalm will kill people, but it doesn't always kill all the people. Not to many things are perfect. But does copper kill or disrupt gut bacteria? Yes it does:

Showing results for does copper kill beneficial bacteria
Search instead for does copper kill benificial bacteria

Search Results​

Featured snippet from the web​

Copper does kill germs
Copper has antimicrobial properties, meaning it can kill microorganisms like bacteria and viruses. ... It interferes with proteins that operate important functions that keep bacterial cells alive.Dec 28, 2020

Does copper kill nitrifying bacteria?
Copper is also toxic to the nitrifying bacteria in the biofil- ter. ... By contrast, bacteria that can cause disease in fish are much more resistant to copper, with some only inhibited or killed at free copper levels as high as 1.25 mg/L (Cardeilhac and Whitaker 1988).

Where copper could be used​

Currently, stainless steel or plastics are used for sinks, counters, beds and other surfaces in health care environments, but while stainless steel and plastic are easy to clean (the main reason they're used in such places), it also demonstrably harbors far more bacteria and viruses than a similar copper surface does — and over time, small scratches, dings and holes can hide even more.

It's especially important that the most dangerous superbugs, responsible for the death and illness of already-sick people, are killed by copper. That includes methicillin-resistant staph (MRSA); other staph bacteria; adenoviruses; the flu virus (all types); and even fungus. In a study published in the International Journal of Food Microbiology, 99.9 percent of E.coli bacteria was killed after an hour on a copper table, whereas it survived for weeks on stainless steel.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back