Tang suggestions

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was recently looking at a 150G tank. I was curious what tangs can be kept in this system. How many tangs would yall keep?

I definitely want a white tail bristletooth, yellow (or purple) tang, and powder blue tang.

Any suggestions on different tangs or tangs that would work?

Tank Dimensions: L59.06 X D23.62 X H23.62IN

so its about 5 ft tank.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say around 3 tangs depending on the other inhabitants of the tank. The tangs you listed are fine but if you get a powder blue add it last cause they're very aggressive.

RV Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tangs are also very aggressive, so be careful too! White tail bristle tooth is a great tang! I would say 2 tangs, depending on the other fish. Is this a reef or FOWLR?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Tang police yet? Jk

Most will say you need 72 inch plus.

Just start with small tangs, 2 maybe 3 and be prepared to re-home them if you have them long enough as to where they out grow the space.

All mentioned should be ok togather.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I was recently looking at a 150G tank. I was curious what tangs can be kept in this system. How many tangs would yall keep?

I definitely want a white tail bristletooth, yellow (or purple) tang, and powder blue tang.

so its about 5 ft tank.
You listed the 3 of the nastiest tangs but make powder blue last and white tail first. 60" tank - youre looking at 5-6 tangs.

Last edited:

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow and a bristle tooth should be fine. Personally I would pass on the powder blue. They tend to be more free swimmers and need room or they get antsy and then mean. My yellows and bristle tooths spend all day grazing the rocks and glass. Great cuc additions. I would stick with those two then add some other fish that appeal to you.
At the risk of arrest here is my yellow and two spot bristle tooth in a 36x24x24" they are watching me as I type hoping for food I'm sure. I have 8 other tangs in a larger tank.
PXL_20240825_191559780.jpg

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the powder blue in that size tank… devil fish!! Mine was a murderer. She got a new home after that. Maybe get a yellow, bristletooth and maybe another depending on size. Hard pass on the powder blue..

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Purple tangs are also very aggressive, so be careful too! White tail bristle tooth is a great tang! I would say 2 tangs, depending on the other fish. Is this a reef or FOWLR?
will be a reef tank. Yeah Im open to suggestions on other tangs. Main tang i want is the white tail bristle tooth.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would skip the powder blue in that size tank… devil fish!! Mine was a murderer. She got a new home after that. Maybe get a yellow, bristletooth and maybe another depending on size. Hard pass on the powder blue..
thanks for the feedback. I'll probably skip out on the powder blue. If i get this tank.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The yellow and a bristle tooth should be fine. Personally I would pass on the powder blue. They tend to be more free swimmers and need room or they get antsy and then mean. My yellows and bristle tooths spend all day grazing the rocks and glass. Great cuc additions. I would stick with those two then add some other fish that appeal to you.
At the risk of arrest here is my yellow and two spot bristle tooth in a 36x24x24" they are watching me as I type hoping for food I'm sure. I have 8 other tangs in a larger tank.
PXL_20240825_191559780.jpg
very nice and healthy looking tangs to me! Yeah was thinking about this tank, but am tempted to just wait longer get 200G thats 6 ft long. I just dont know whats the best company to go with. Get overwhelmed looking at custom builds and red sea has so much bad reputation with their tanks that i see.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

so its about 5 ft tank.
I have 4 in 180g for reference.

7”Desjardin, 8”Blue, 4”Yellow and 5”Bristletooth.
About 4 years now.

The Desjardin (may) be big for 150, but yellows and bristletooths would be great.
Maybe a trio of yellows? And a blue……

IMG_0246.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe ill just stick with two tangs? I may hold out for a yellow tang when we can get them from hawaii again. but white tail bristle and yellow tang. How about a magnificent foxface in this size of a tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
will be a reef tank. Yeah Im open to suggestions on other tangs. Main tang i want is the white tail bristle tooth.
Chocolate AKA Mimic tang
Tomini
lavender
Maculeceps
hepatus blue
yellow
convict (make sure it eats and healthy)

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice and healthy looking tangs to me! Yeah was thinking about this tank, but am tempted to just wait longer get 200G thats 6 ft long. I just dont know whats the best company to go with. Get overwhelmed looking at custom builds and red sea has so much bad reputation with their tanks that i see.
It can be overwhelming. Custom gets you more options but you have to be able to plumb and other diy or pay someone which is a no for me.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It can be overwhelming. Custom gets you more options but you have to be able to plumb and other diy or pay someone which is a no for me.
yeah thats my take on it as well. Doing my own stand and all. I just wanted to see what type of tangs I can get away with in this size of tank. I do love tangs, but im okay if I can't get large tangs. If all else fails ill get a bunch of different wrasses and a school of anthias. Love watching wrasses swim around the tank. Currently have a orange back fairy, bluethroat fairy, and melanurus.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chocolate AKA Mimic tang
Tomini
lavender
Maculeceps
hepatus blue
yellow
convict (make sure it eats and healthy)
thank you for this list im going to research more on them!

A convict would be awesome to keep. I did hear they have a harder time to adjust. I guess long as u find a healthy fat convict that eats well it will be fine?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
thank you for this list im going to research more on them!

A convict would be awesome to keep. I did hear they have a harder time to adjust. I guess long as u find a healthy fat convict that eats well it will be fine?
Yes or a pre-owned

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back