OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you QT corals, rocks, sand and inverts? If you don’t, you will absolutely have ich in that tank you just need a stressor to ‘activate’ it.
I currently don't have a reef but do plan one, i mostly buy dry rock but definitely do plan on getting live rocks in the future, i currently do have inverts but mostly snails, do snails carry them aswell?

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PBT in a 150g with a bunch of tangs hippo, yellow, purple and convict. Also a bunch of misc fish; clowns, wrasse, gobies, damsels, etc.. Only one fish did it bully and that was a sailfin tang. It would not let him eat and it eventually passed. Convict tang was a latest addition and that's after the PBT had been in there for over a year. The PBT will rarely attempt to bully my foxface but it's 30% bigger then him and it's got those spines.
That is indeed what i hope mine will be (an exception)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently don't have a reef but do plan one, i mostly buy dry rock but definitely do plan on getting live rocks in the future, i currently do have inverts but mostly snails, do snails carry them aswell?
Yep, anything with a dead area that can harbour life will likely carry fish disease.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my lionfish and powder blue from the shipment so I guess now I am stuck with a beautiful but a bad personality fish haha, but who knows he might actually be a kind gentleman, i did hear that not all fish in the species are the same and maybe if i am lucky enough there might be an exception
Yeah no, not with this fish lol. What tangs can you get there??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I intend to keep my powder blue with a lavender and lieutenant tang, would it work? Or is the powder blue too aggressive? The tank is 210 gallons
Think hard. What one's fish does may differ in another tank. These fish are down right nasty, steal the food from others and are constantly tail striking when they feel like it.

jk1knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I have had great luck with powder blue tangs unlike many others on this thread. I currently have a PBT in a 210g reef with multiple other tangs. They are all getting along with the rare and occasional quarrel. Everyone is eating and healthy. I strongly recommend introducing your PBT into you display tank using a clear acrylic acclimation box for 1-2 weeks after quarantine. As previously stated, it is helpful if the PBT is on the smaller side compared to everyone else, With the acclimation box, everyone is protected and separated, but they can all see each other and get to know one another. Release day then tends to be a non issue. Just a friendly suggestion…

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah no, not with this fish lol. What tangs can you get there??
Lol, depending on availability, i can't really order a fish, the fish store is mainly dependent on local fishermen so the owner says that he doesn't know what will be the next shipment or when the next shipment will be Lol, but I do get lavender (uncommon) , lieutenant(uncommon), pbt (rare), sailfin (common), ebli tang (uncommon), mata tang (common), black tang (occasionally), these are most of the tangs i can think of, though there's definitely more variety in the imported section but 4 times the cost Lol

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I have had great luck with powder blue tangs unlike many others on this thread. I currently have a PBT in a 210g reef with multiple other tangs. They are all getting along with the rare and occasional quarrel. Everyone is eating and healthy. I strongly recommend introducing your PBT into you display tank using a clear acrylic acclimation box for 1-2 weeks after quarantine. As previously stated, it is helpful if the PBT is on the smaller side compared to everyone else, With the acclimation box, everyone is protected and separated, but they can all see each other and get to know one another. Release day then tends to be a non issue. Just a friendly suggestion…
Great! This is what I did hope for but i guess it does really depend on the type of fish i received, I'll make sure to follow your guidelines and update

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though i would like to ask, when did the tang start eating for you? I did try nori sheets and he hasn't eaten yet, my sailfin took a whole 2 weeks before he even thought of touching the nori sheets

odariel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for 3 years, it came in the tank the latest, in a tank with 3 other tangs, a tomini tang, a hepatus, and a yellow tang... grew and became the boss of the tank. He quarrel every now and then with my flavescens but never cut him.. Since he was so well behaved, i had the "great idea" to add a Xanthurum i had on my frag tank that outgrew that aquarium.. He accepted it well, but my flavescens didn't... He was constantly chasing the xanthurum... after 2 weeks of this, (flavescens after the xanthurum) something snapped on my PBT and started attacking and cutting both of them.. almost killing both... It was my mistake, but he had to go...

it is a beautiful fish, but as stated here before, can be agressive and can kill, so if you go ahead with him, some advice:

1. introduce him the last, or at least at the same time as the lasts fishes you plan to introduce.
2. As stated he has to be smaller than the other tangs.
3. have an overkill UV light with low flow on your return pump to control ICH.. This will save you a ton of money on surgeon fishes.

Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Though i would like to ask, when did the tang start eating for you? I did try nori sheets and he hasn't eaten yet, my sailfin took a whole 2 weeks before he even thought of touching the nori sheets
I recommend LRS herbivore diet, mysis shrimp and even brine shrimp to get it eating. While they eat nori, its not their top choice

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend LRS herbivore diet, mysis shrimp and even brine shrimp to get it eating. While they eat nori, its not their top choice
Thank you for your suggestions! But is there an alternative to herbivore frenzy? It seems that it isn't available in my country

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this tang is the literal definition of never judge a book by it's cover Lol
Nah vetteguy has had multiple of these guys in his huge (400?) callon tank! Little devils! Lol but so pretty. Just transfered mine to my biocube out of the holding tank for now until I move it to my big tank. Mine is behaving with the other fish… for now. But its also tiny! Squabbled with my baby emperor and baby snapper a few times. I have a feeling its going to be a terror!

OP
OP
HAAAAAAAA

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah vetteguy has had multiple of these guys in his huge (400?) callon tank! Little devils! Lol but so pretty. Just transfered mine to my biocube out of the holding tank for now until I move it to my big tank. Mine is behaving with the other fish… for now. But its also tiny! Squabbled with my baby emperor and baby snapper a few times. I have a feeling its going to be a terror!
He is one heck of a guy if he's even messed with a snapper nonetheless an emperor Lol

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is one heck of a guy if he's even messed with a snapper nonetheless an emperor Lol
Both are tiny right now!! Like smaller than a quarter! Lol

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back