Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll pay you a $1000.00 to show us this. Sorry Im calling you out. Male , female , and transfer? Are you the guy that beats Borneman study on achilles? Pump the brakes.
I don't have any money but I would like to see it. Just saying. :cool:

World Wide Corals

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll pay you a $1000.00 to show us this. Sorry Im calling you out. Male , female , and transfer? Are you the guy that beats Borneman study on achilles? Pump the brakes.
I am lost past the show the tangs lol. As for the transfer, the little guy needs to get bigger before I try it.

Achilles 1 in the 180. Achilles 2 in the other 180 and then Achilles 3 in the 500 (small streamers, so assume female).

Edit: Achilles 2 is being fattened up for a friend to take and put in his 800. So while not mine, it is under my care until it gets to about 6”.

0D339E4E-30F0-4BF1-9460-15516F12E43B.jpeg

45C01A88-DFEF-4ED7-BB30-A5D55A3E70FD.jpeg

629B7BB0-72C7-4F44-83B7-6EA107189C3D.jpeg

Last edited:

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn’t really a “tang police”. Just people who think they’re they authority on the proper way to do things and how to keep certain livestock and what orange and silver equipment you should be running. These same people go after me about training mandarins to eat frozen food, acting as though my years of experience keeping plump and healthy dragonets is somehow negated by what they’ve read in a book. These same people will tell you a tang will be unhappy in anything but the ocean and won’t live very long. There are plenty of examples of this not being the case but they’ll never consider those examples because it would mean accepting the reality that they or their source isn’t necessarily correct. So IMO, you can keep a tang in 50g BUT it’s well documented that many tangs, especially those that grow to larger sizes have a tendency to develop behavioral and health issues in smaller tanks. I recommend that if you decide to add a tang, start with a very small one and plan on upgrading to a larger tank as the tang grows. If the tang isn’t calmly cruising around, the tank probably isn’t big enough.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn’t really a “tang police”. Just people who think they’re they authority on the proper way to do things and how to keep certain livestock and what orange and silver equipment you should be running. These same people go after me about training mandarins to eat frozen food, acting as though my years of experience keeping plump and healthy dragonets is somehow negated by what they’ve read in a book. These same people will tell you a tang will be unhappy in anything but the ocean and won’t live very long. There are plenty of examples of this not being the case but they’ll never consider those examples because it would mean accepting the reality that they or their source isn’t necessarily correct. So IMO, you can keep a tang in 50g BUT it’s well documented that many tangs, especially those that grow to larger sizes have a tendency to develop behavioral and health issues in smaller tanks. I recommend that if you decide to add a tang, start with a very small one and plan on upgrading to a larger tank as the tang grows. If the tang isn’t calmly cruising around, the tank probably isn’t big enough.
YES THIS!! It’s like I always say and I always stress that there’s so many ways to do this hobby, be successful, and keep your fish happy and healthy.

FIN&BONEZ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am lost past the show the tangs lol. As for the transfer, the little guy needs to get bigger before I try it.

Achilles 1 in the 180. Achilles 2 in the other 180 and then Achilles 3 in the 500 (small streamers, so assume female).

Edit: Achilles 2 is being fattened up for a friend to take and put in his 800. So while not mine, it is under my care until it gets to about 6”.

View attachment 2760594

View attachment 2760600
View attachment 2760601
Did you say streamers and female in the same sentence. You did right?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I checked our achilles was a male with streamers? Unless maybe now we have to call him a birthing fish? I think he's still a boy though.
I am referring to the caudual fin and just saying “streamers”. Trying to keep it simple instead of saying elongated tips at the end of the caudal fin. Or short tips at the end of the caudal fin lol.

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So what you are saying is only your experience and opinion matter? Or that anyone with a different opinion that replies in this post is wrong or what? I'm still not sure I get the silver and orange equipment bit and what it has to do here other than maybe that is a dig against a certain manufacture? /shrug Also what do mandarins have to do with anything? You do know that there are captive bred that are trained to eat mastic, pellet, and frozen?

The OP probably got what they wanted and that is a few people said yes, more said probably not (I don't know the score actually as I didn't tally it), and now it is up to them. Nothing really more to the story.

Honestly if you want a yellow tang in a 40b or 50 gallon then Biota is your best bet. Small size. Eating prepared food. You know a rough estimate of the age.

TL;DR - op asked for opinions. Got them. Has nothing to do with tang police. Just hobbyist have different views and no one here based the poor lad/lass. Don't make something out of nothing.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am referring to the caudual fin and just saying “streamers”. Trying to keep it simple instead of saying elongated tips at the end of the caudal fin. Or short tips at the end of the caudal fin lol.

There has to be a reference here along the likes of 'Blinded me with Science'...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has to be a reference here along the likes of 'Blinded me with Science'...
Nah. Just old guy on phone with broken screen, and keeping things short lol. All that long stuff takes like 15 tries to type it correctly lol.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who is going to take advice on keeping Tangs, from someone who doesn't and hasn't kept tangs, much less researched what is Actually needed to keep them healthy, needs to get off of Facebook.

AquaCave Logo Banner

ScionFRSguy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep them in a small tank then you'll have to follow the high nutrient import/export method. It's a lot work. Plus there's not much room for them, at 50 gallons with a rock scape, they barely have anywhere to swim. They get so big!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who is going to take advice on keeping Tangs, from someone who doesn't and hasn't kept tangs, much less researched what is Actually needed to keep them healthy, needs to get off of Facebook.
1000% this. Taking advice on an expert level fish from someone who is a few months into the hobby that has never kept that type of fish would be ill-advised, but also, that person probably shouldn’t be giving out advice on species they haven’t kept.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000% this. Taking advice on an expert level fish from someone who is a few months into the hobby that has never kept that type of fish would be ill-advised, but also, that person probably shouldn’t be giving out advice on species they haven’t kept.
:expressionless-face:

Nutramar Foods

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Winner!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me be very clear that I have researched them. I have heard success stories. It can be done successfully is my point. The 50 gallons and sometimes less which has been talked about is the bare minimum of keeping a tang…now the bigger the better but it can be done. The tang discussion will always be a hotly debated which is interesting to me. It’s the same thing as asking 10 people how to do something and you will get 10 different answers but there isn’t a wrong one just a different way.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back