Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi there are literally dozens of identically titled threads asking the exact same where it has been discussed and fought about, if you are looking for more info.

What is the basis for Your opinion of 50g minimum? What specific Tang do you Think that is suitable for living a lifetime in? Is this based on experience keeping tangs? Have you ever owned an Achilles?
Oh I was talking about a yellow tang in that size. I know a few instances of people who’ve kept them for years in that size tank at least a long version and it’s the minimum not the maximum and often recommended by multiple sites as being the minimum but it does vary. The Achilles was something someone asked about in the 125. I did try searching for the thread.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I was talking about a yellow tang. I know a few instances of people who’ve kept them for years in that size tank. The Achilles was something someone asked about in the 125.
Okay so sticking to the zebrazomas, what's the biggest one you've kept?

This is a conservative 4 and 1/2-in YT That is less than 8 years old, So could have two-thirds of its life ahead of it, 1/3 of that it will use to grow double its current size.
PXL_20220726_000736648.jpg

This is a 54 gallon display Or you use my preferred method of 2.75 Sherman anemones wide.
PXL_20220726_000753348.jpg

You sure about that?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so sticking to the zebrazomas, what's the biggest one you've kept?

This is a conservative 4 and 1/2-in YT That is less than 8 years old, So could have two-thirds of its life ahead of it, 1/3 of that it will use to grow double its current size.
View attachment 2760572
This is a 54 gallon display Or you use my preferred method of 2.75 Sherman anemones wide.
View attachment 2760573

You sure about that?
I said this wasn’t about me and my experience. It was a question someone else asked originally and I said yes. It was about how I’ve heard of it being done successfully which is why when people say no…I disagree. I just wanted others thoughts on here.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said this wasn’t about me and my experience. It was a question someone else asked originally and I said yes. It was about how I’ve heard of it being done successfully which is why when people so no…I disagree. I just wanted others thoughts on here.
But why give advice when you have never kept one yourself?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just want your thoughts because people are the tang police on social media. What is the minimum you can keep a tang in? I think it’s 50 gallons and I’ve seen it done successfully. Someone wants to put an Achilles Tang in 125 gallon tank and I said it was plenty of room especially when they are smaller. But someone just wrote an entire essay at me telling me why it’s bad. I know tangs need a big tank but I think people are overly offended when a tang (at least a yellow or blue one) is kept in a 50-60 gallon tank longterm. And yes the more room the better but I still think it can be done successfully. I just find it interesting that this is such a hotly debated topic.
Very minimum is 40b with a 36" length and 18" depth But ideal minimum is 55g and preferable is 125g
I have well over a dozen in a 135g and very healthy and happy critters. Its about water quality management and diet

1658795113996.png

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But why give advice when you have never kept one yourself?
Because they asked if it was possible. Not how to do it. Why do people always think this. I think anyone can share advice it’s not asking about my experience. The original poster asked if it was possible to keep it in 125 gallons and the simple answer is yes it is.

BRS
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very minimum is 40b with a 36" length and 18" depth But ideal minimum is 55g and preferable is 125g
I have well over a dozen in a 135g and very healthy and happy critters. Its about water quality management and diet
EXACTLY!!!! That’s what I said to someone. And taking good care of the tank and having good equipment.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum is 40b for an Achilles??????? Or are you referring to something like a kole tang

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Minimum is 40b for an Achilles??????? Or are you referring to something like a kole tang
tomini - kole-clown- yellow- hepatus
and I said Bare Minimum with my minimum at 55g and preferable 125g
See my pic added above- 135g and thats Not all of them

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they asked if it was possible. Not how to do it. Why do people always think this. I think anyone can share advice it’s not asking about my experience. The original poster asked if it was possible to keep it in 125 gallons and the simple answer is yes it is.

To be honest, I think that most people asking for advice are looking for advice based in experience. When advice is delivered as if it is based in experience, people might take it as more than just parroting whatever was read on other threads on the forums.

People who are new here may mistake willingness to give advice for real world experience.

Too often people receiving advice fail to check to see how long the source of that advice has been in the hobby (or even been a member, which is admittedly a poor proxy for experience in the hobby).

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I think that most people asking for advice are looking for advice based in experience. When advice is delivered as if it is based in experience, people might take it as more than just parroting whatever was read on other threads on the forums.

People who are new here may mistake willingness to give advice for real world experience.

Too often people receiving advice fail to check to see how long the source of that advice has been in the hobby (or even been a member, which is admittedly a poor proxy for experience in the hobby.
Oh it also wasn’t on here. While yes this is true at least on here.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EXACTLY!!!! That’s what I said to someone. And taking good care of the tank and having good equipment.
Skill level and experience also apply to this.

Think of it this way. If someone is asking if an Achilles will fit in a 125 or if a yellow will fit in a 40, sure they can fit. But most everyone that does it has years of experience. The fact they are asking means they are lacking knowledge on the subject and should make one think about a proper answer. Now, I am not saying whomever may be dumb, but after years of doing this you learn these things and keeping an Achilles in 125, for example, requires very dedicated care and tank management that is on par.

In short, a lot of people asking questions like that need to be told no or told a larger tank is needed. Once the get more experience and understand the care, then maybe they can try it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I understand this for you, you have years and years of experience like me. The pic below has 9 tangs visible in it, but there are 15 in there. Most were behind the rocks grazing on caulerpa and ulva. All were rescued from people who put them in too small of tanks and needing some fattening up before moving to a 500 with larger fish.

But we have to look at this correctly. We can do that, as we know what needs to be done. Most people asking those questions may not have the experience we do and we should try to steer them in a direction that is best for the fish.

CA1FA128-0200-4FF9-9F27-B7A8D6F13331.jpeg

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Note size is one thing. Maturity and display type is another. What is bare today is fully tomorrow.

Or as the saying goes treat the fish like a family pet and not a commodity. Please note that I'm not saying you are. It is more about when talking about a fish for an aquarium there is more than today. Tomorrow brings more challenges.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I was talking about a yellow tang in that size. I know a few instances of people who’ve kept them for years in that size tank at least a long version and it’s the minimum not the maximum and often recommended by multiple sites as being the minimum but it does vary. The Achilles was something someone asked about in the 125. I did try searching for the thread.
Show me one reputable site that says a 50 gallon tank is the minimum tank size for a yellow tang.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Note size is one thing. Maturity and display type is another. What is bare today is fully tomorrow.

Or as the saying goes treat the fish like a family pet and not a commodity. Please note that I'm not saying you are. It is more about when talking about a fish for an aquarium there is more than today. Tomorrow brings more challenges.
Assuming this pertains to wanting to add a Tang. Most of my tangs are 5-7 years old and the PBT, and sailfin are the fast growers. The rest are moderate but I would not place as you stated a species such as dusomieri that will grow from 3" to 10" in several months as mine did

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a kole tang in with 2 clowns in a 75g standard. Ordered online received full grown fish pushing 7”. It immediately looked too small of a tank. Nowthat its settled in she is happy. I have an obnoxious amount (100+) lbs rock in DT for her to munch on. I am now in the market for a 125g because the 75g does not even seem big enough. I found many opinions saying 75g minimum should work, but i also think i had my mind made up already and was going to do it with whatever advice i got. I did not seek out positive reinforcement but i remeber the “its ok” advice much more than the “maybe not” because i was getting justification. Tang police have officially ruined the actual tank recommendations because many including me feel scared to even talk openly about it. The best advice i have for you is nothing not even kole tang in anything less than 75 as long as you have plans for a 125 thats 6 ft long within a year. Hard to hear but its also hard to watch a fish in a tank too small. Feels like youre recreating those ASPCA commercials in your own house.

Top Shelf Aquatics

FIN&BONEZ

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am only going to speak for an Achilles tang, as I have 3 of them.

Even when small a 6’ x24” tank is the minimum I feel that they should be in. Even in a 6’ you will need to feed a ton and feed numerous times during the day/have macro available to them. They are also a “high flow” fish and do better in a higher flow tank, ime. They are also a “roaming” fish and roam long stretches of reefs looking for food.

I do currently have a 7” male in a 6’ tank, but the flow is crazy, there is a macro garden behind the rock structure and it gets fed 6 times a day. When it gets to about 9” it will go into my 500 and hopefully get along with my 11” female. That tank is almost all macro and this will provide a large area for them to constantly graze like they do in the wild.

With all that said, it is best to keep smaller tangs in smaller tanks and larger tangs in larger tanks. Not always will someone be able to rehome a fish and then things get interesting.
I'll pay you a $1000.00 to show us this. Sorry Im calling you out. Male , female , and transfer? Are you the guy that beats Borneman study on achilles? Pump the brakes.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back