Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this. It might explain a bit more how the new Aquarium will be. Again, some things have changed since my colleague draw this.. But it gives a good idea of the building:)
IMG_5379.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this. It might explain a bit more how the new Aquarium will be. Again, some things have changed since my colleague draw this.. But it gives a good idea of the building:)
View attachment 852258

OMG!!!!! That's alot of tanks, alot of maintenance, which means a lot of piping, sensors, wiring, creatures, etc....

This gotta be best thread on R2R

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever you do, stay cool headed, slow to answer, stress changes nothing, with this project
And best of all, you have Lasse. Man I'm jealous.

In 1986, I helped(apprentice) to maintain city public pools for 1 year. Before I started there, my then supervisor help install large sand filters for Olympic size pool they had. City never had sand filters before. He never installed them before. All went well. The old electric pumps were monsters, big.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG!!!!! That's alot of tanks, alot of maintenance, which means a lot of piping, sensors, wiring, creatures, etc....

This gotta be best thread on R2R

Yes, it's a lot. The tanks in the "aquarium house", in the middle of the room, won't be that big I think. That's just what the architect draw. But it'll be a lot of small tanks with different habitats. The plan is to have three types of water available in the exhibition, so it'll be easy to setup a small tropical tank, cold water tank, or subtropical tank. Just plug it into one of those systems.
So there will be lots of water going from here to there:)
Some tanks will be stand alone, like seahorses. But not too many. We're not that many working in the Aquarium..

I'm a bit worried about all sensors and the risk of leaks when there's complex water systems. But hopefully we can arrange them to be as simple as possible.
None of us have built a whole new public aquaria before, so I can't say it'll be great. Not from the start at least :)

I really hope it'll be an interesting thread to follow and participate in! It's a long time until the new Aquarium will be ready, but hopefully there will some fun stuff on the way.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it's a lot. The tanks in the "aquarium house", in the middle of the room, won't be that big I think. That's just what the architect draw. But it'll be a lot of small tanks with different habitats. The plan is to have three types of water available in the exhibition, so it'll be easy to setup a small tropical tank, cold water tank, or subtropical tank. Just plug it into one of those systems.
Some tanks will be stand alone, like seahorses. But not too many. We're not that many working in the Aquarium..

I'm a bit worried about all sensors and the risk of leaks when there's complex water systems. But hopefully we can arrange them to be as simple as possible.
None of us have built a whole new public aquaria before, so I can't say it'll be great. Not from the start at least :)

I really hope it'll be an interesting thread to follow and participate in! It's a long time until the new Aquarium will be ready, but hopefully there will some fun stuff on the way.

Record/make note when something worth noting comes up.
Delegate responsiblities.
Like my pappy use to say
"Give the $5 an hour worker the $5 work, and the $50 hr worker, $50 work." That was my pappy's thinking

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No panic - what can go wrong? In one or another way - it will work out and be perfect. All of us stay put on a solid ground of mistakes that we have done during the years before. For sure - we will invent some new - but the big mistakes - we have already done them and can avoid them for this build.

Sincerely Lasse

Nutramar Foods

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please enlighten me, I can always Google, lazy right now. What's a "tropical tank, cold water tank, or subtropical tank," to you guys? Thanks

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please enlighten me, I can always Google, lazy right now. What's a "tropical tank, cold water tank, or subtropical tank," to you guys? Thanks
Should have been tropical, subtropical and temperate I think :) 25, 18 and 10 degrees.

CLICK TO VIEW

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Wide Corals

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be some shallow tanks in order to grow different type of corals. In order to have a acceptable growth - it is no need for a fancy fixture - just on and off. We are testing Orphek LED Bar light, 60 cm and Reef Daylight Light - spectra below

OR120-90-60-Reef-Day-Light-led-layout-and-spectrum.jpg
This is the result

IMG_20181003_130612.jpg

IMG_20181003_125257.jpg

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R's Epic Aquarium Build thread .... maybe time to plan another visit to Sweden (this time to Gothenburg) again. Possibly after catching the Northern Lights in Iceland or Gothenburg? Maybe early spring or winter time. We were in Iceland in late May and didn't get to witness the Northern Lights.

Malmö & Stockholm were the only two cities we visited as one of my daughter's good friend hails from Malmö and met her dad in Stockholm. He works for the US owned franchise O'Leary's Sports Bar over there.

Maybe I can get to meet the couple of these Swedish famous guys over Fika ... yes?;)

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seldom we can see Northern light here in Gothenburg- you need to be much more to the north in order to be sure to catch it. Best time is in winter with en in late april. Around 2022 - 2024 will it probably be more sure that you will see it. But if you come here in late May - beginning of June - you will be able to walk in the forest without a flash light. we do not have midnight sun here but it is very bright summer nights before midsummer,

Of cause - you will have a "fika" if you visit us - and maybe with a "bulle" too :) To all german speaking people that are upset just now then I offer you a "fika" - In Swedish it is just drinking coffee and speak to each other - not what you think it is :)

Sincerely Lasse

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ... we were introduce to "fika" by my daughter's Swedish friend ;). Oh yeah we experienced the 19 hours of daylight while in Iceland. Sunrise at approximately 3:45 am & bright even after midnight.

Did almost everything in Iceland except the Northern Lights ... and pay you a visit (if time permits) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back