Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us more about the pile of led lights?
The LED breeding project you mean? ;)

We're moving lights from the tanks we close down to the new temporary tanks. And we don't have that many places to put things in that room, so just to keep everything in some kind of order all the LEDs were put in one place:)

Edit. It's Radions (first gen), Orphek bars and some Hydra.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LED breeding project you mean? ;)

We're moving lights from the tanks we close down to the new temporary tanks. And we don't have that many places to put things in that room, so just to keep everything in some kind of order all the LEDs were put in one place:)

Edit. It's Radions (first gen), Orphek bars and some Hydra.
Ah ok. So nothing wrong with them or their performance because i noticed some metal halides too?

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is only David that is a slow adapter - but this time - the metyal halides goes out :) :)

Sincerely Lasse
This is my opinion, I think if you weren't around David be like a chicken with his head cut off. I think? :p

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my opinion, I think if you weren't around David be like a chicken with his head cut off. I think? :p

No - no - he is one of the best coral grower I know (much better than me) and the combination of an young slow adapter and an old fast adapter together with 3 - 4 other guys with other skills make a good team. :) :)

Sincerely Lasse

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - no - he is one of the best coral grower I know (much better than me) and the combination of an young slow adapter and an old fast adapter together with 3 - 4 other guys with other skills make a good team. :) :)

Sincerely Lasse
Lasse so modest. Years of experience means alot.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
I'm only talking, I forget, Sallstrom been in Marine ecosystems longer than you. I think. Anyway they say two heads better than one. You guys are 6 all together. Better than two.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. So nothing wrong with them or their performance because i noticed some metal halides too?
Well, I'm not sure all diods work on the old Radion but otherwise they are okey. We've just cleaned them up and moved them.

Some of the fixtures are new, like the Orphek Atlantik. It's time for our old Metal halides to retire, so we needed some new lights as well.

The metal halides have been great for growing corals. And I really liked the colours on the Reeflux bulbs. But building the temporary Aquarium and then the new Aquarium using metal halides wasn't an option. In the temporary Aquarium we will struggle with the heat. And in the new Aquarium we can't use them over the large tanks due to safety rules(no 230V close to the surface of the tanks we will be diving in).

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha :D Maybe 10 years ago :p

At the moment we are a great team at the museum. Not a very large team, but with experience and lots of energy. We talk most of the things through so we can find good solutions. Even if we don't agree on everything right from the start, we work things out well :)
But like @Lasse wrote, I'm like a coral and like slow or no changes ;)

AquaCave Logo Banner

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But nowadays I think it is a myth too :)

Sincerely Lasse
Certain soft corals when cut, heal fast, must be a fast coral, also grow the fastest. Lasse might be onto something. Remember Lasse most corals not like fish. Especially fish for human consumption. :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But like @Lasse wrote, I'm like a coral and like slow or no changes ;)
Is this person who doesn't like change the same one who excitedly posts updates about breaking down the old displays and getting the temporary systems up and running? o_O

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this person who doesn't like change the same one who excitedly posts updates about breaking down the old displays and getting the temporary systems up and running? o_O
Hehe, yes. Lasse is just making fun of me for being one of those aquarists who still thinks MH is a more safe choice than LED when planning new tanks.. But LEDs starting to grow on me ;)
New tanks are always fun! Then you can try your "methods " and see if they work. But once everything is tuned in, I like to keep my hands away :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe, yes. Lasse is just making fun of me for being one of those aquarists who still thinks MH is a more safe choice than LED when planning new tanks.. But LEDs starting to grow on me ;)
New tanks are always fun! Then you can try your "methods " and see if they work. But once everything is tuned in, I like to keep my hands away :)
Hands off, camera on ;Singing

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the depths of the new displays, it will be interesting to see how leds manage what you require?! :)
The large coral display will be about 4 meters deep. The kelp display will be 2 meters deep. So the reef tank will be the hardest task when it comes to getting enough light all the way to the bottom.
LED cannons/flood lights can do it I'm sure, but then the footprint will be pretty small. So we will look into another type of LED from Provolitans https://provolitans.com/ Hopefully we can run a test this summer with a their fixture.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large coral display will be about 4 meters deep. The kelp display will be 2 meters deep. So the reef tank will be the hardest task when it comes to getting enough light all the way to the bottom.
LED cannons/flood lights can do it I'm sure, but then the footprint will be pretty small. So we will look into another type of LED from Provolitans https://provolitans.com/ Hopefully we can run a test this summer with a their fixture.

Those lights look pretty sweet. It's also cool that they have a number to call the CEO directly on their website!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those lights look pretty sweet. It's also cool that they have a number to call the CEO directly on their website!
Haha. Yes, she is nice. A coral nerd :)
It's small company, but there're at least three other public aquariums in Sweden using their products.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of cutting and gluing corals today . Maybe sounds like fun job but after a couple of days you get kind of tired of the smell of coral and glue.. One positive thing today was mature Acropora egg bundles, probably ready to be release tonight or the next night.
Last time I found egg bundles was 2-3 years ago in another species of Acropora in another tank.
Here are some not so good pictures. The egg bundles are the reddish things in the newly cut area.
IMG_7684.JPG

IMG_7683.JPG

There are probably corals spawning now and then in our tanks. According to the literature most Acropora species get sexually mature when they reach 30-40cm in diameter. We just don't see them spawn.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of cutting and gluing corals today . Maybe sounds like fun job but after a couple of days you get kind of tired of the smell of coral and glue.. One positive thing today was mature Acropora egg bundles, probably ready to be release tonight or the next night.
Last time I found egg bundles was 2-3 years ago in another species of Acropora in another tank.
Here are some not so good pictures. The egg bundles are the reddish things in the newly cut area.
View attachment 1058487
View attachment 1058488

There are probably corals spawning now and then in our tanks. According to the literature most Acropora species get sexually mature when they reach 30-40cm in diameter. We just don't see them spawn.

Obvioulsy, you're not holding the glue close enough to your nose! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tropic Marin USA
Back