Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 40 litres water volume, the mushrooms are low flow sulky, that will be addressed shortly.
The black splodge on the glass is a blue velvet nudi, I am removing the cyano very slowly, once it clears an area of flat worms I siphon a bit more out, I want to keep it as long as possible before I need to take it back to my lfs.
Can't rush these things! ;)

View attachment 1049561
Thanks for sharing, comrade

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two almost empty propagation tanks ready to move into the temporary Aquarium. Just need to rebuild the stand so the smaller one goes on top of the large one.

IMG_7622.JPG

Some yummy algae ;)
IMG_7620.JPG

And a section made for macro algae.
IMG_7621.JPG

My plan is to get the nutrients up a bit, get some macro algae to grow, and hope for the grazers to do a good job.
Nutrients today after adding both N and P was: NO3 ~2ppm and PO4 ~ 0,04. First time so far we've got a result on phosphate. The double dose yesterday and today paid off :)

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this colony today and was impressed by the colours. Anyone know if this Stylopora has a fancy name? ;)
Picture taken under normal roof lights(probably T8 3000K something:p)

IMG_7625.JPG

This week I'm moving corals from "the room divider reef". There are some brown clove polyps in that tank I'm trying to avoid getting into the temporary Aquarium(the dark parts on the picture). So there's a lot of cutting and hammering to get only live coral tissue(or at least no clove polyps) out from this tank. It's been a rough day for some colonies..

And here we're growing LED lights ;)
IMG_7627.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this colony today and was impressed by the colours. Anyone know if this Stylopora has a fancy name? ;)
I think thats a "Sallstrom Swedish Strawberry Stylo"... Sells for $800 for a 2cm mini colony. A 5mm frag goes for $500. It's also affectionately known as the "Quad S Coral". :cool:

Avast

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask... are those skimmers for decoration or did you modify them to dispense drinks? Not sure I could get myself to drink something that was dispensed from a skimmer. Iced tea would look too much like skimmate for me to stomach!

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask... are those skimmers for decoration or did you modify them to dispense drinks? Not sure I could get myself to drink something that was dispensed from a skimmer. Iced tea would look too much like skimmate for me to stomach!
There will be LED light in the skimmers when the sun goes down! :)

It has been figurehead from boats where the skimmer is now. But they've been moved due to the rebuild. Looked so empty.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing Orphek 500W Amazonas LEDs.
IMG_7644.JPG
IMG_7647.JPG

We will run the Bamboo shark tank until September so we will have time to try out these light and another brand over a two meter deep tank. We still haven't decided on lights for the new Aquarium yet.

Did a quick test and measured PAR at around 200 at the bottom. Not bad.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One great thing having people over to behind the scenes is the days after. When everything is still in order after the cleanup :)
IMG_7637.JPG
IMG_7638.JPG

Next week it'll probably look messy again. We will try to move our old propagation tanks into the centre of this room. These two:
IMG_7622.JPG

And we might need to repaint the inside.. ;)
IMG_7624.JPG

In about two years we will get access to the new Aquarium!

We are also working on the documents for the public procurements that will come. Lots of large pumps, skimmer, acrylic windows etc. Will be great when those procurements goes through. Then we'll know what brands we will be working with. All we will get a better feeling if our budget is enough or not :D

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think thats a "Sallstrom Swedish Strawberry Stylo"... Sells for $800 for a 2cm mini colony. A 5mm frag goes for $500. It's also affectionately known as the "Quad S Coral". :cool:
Is there Layaway? Like Zody's

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One great thing having people over to behind the scenes is the days after. When everything is still in order after the cleanup :)
View attachment 1053085 View attachment 1053086

Next week it'll probably look messy again. We will try to move our old propagation tanks into the centre of this room. These two:
View attachment 1053087
And we might need to repaint the inside.. ;)
View attachment 1053088

In about two years we will get access to the new Aquarium!

We are also working on the documents for the public procurements that will come. Lots of large pumps, skimmer, acrylic windows etc. Will be great when those procurements goes through. Then we'll know what brands we will be working with. All we will get a better feeling if our budget is enough or not :D
Just looking at all those tank, makes me tired.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top Shelf Aquatics

Lasse

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fast visit today in order to try to take a picture for this months POTM. I took some others too

This I would call an euphyllia tank - the chromis is a grown up

9.jpg

The POTM was about anemones - here is some that did not chose to the contest. This anemone forrest was three 4 years ago......

2.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg
Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last couple of days we've been moving out corals from the tank I call the room devider reef. All our tanks look so much bigger when the corals and rocks are removed :confused:
In this tank there're some kind of brown clove polyps growing in between the corals. I don't want to get those polyps in to the temporary Aquarium, so all the rocks will be dried(and used again in the future) and only live coral tissue will move into the propagation tanks.
Today I tried to use a regular saw(for wood) to saw through coral and rock. It worked! But I'm not sure how long the saw will last..
Since my hands were wet almost all day at work, I didn't take any pictures of that.

Here's the half empty tank
IMG_7668.JPG

This is how it looked in February
IMG_7189.JPG

This was the only tank with stony corals at the Aquarium when I started working here in 2008. It has caused me a lot of headaches through the years, but also a lot of satisfaction when it finally turned and started working with me instead of against me :) I've learned so much from this tank. I've even written a history over this tank, that might be a small article some day.
But it doesn't feel as sad as I though I might to close it down. It was far from perfect and the design(very long tank) wasn't optimal for a reef tank I think. And what it most important to me, we will build new and hopefully better aquariums in a not so distant future :)

Here's a Pachyseris coral from the room devider reef. About 40 cm wide.

IMG_7665.JPG

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last couple of days we've been moving out corals from the tank I call the room devider reef. All our tanks look so much bigger when the corals and rocks are removed :confused:
In this tank there're some kind of brown clove polyps growing in between the corals. I don't want to get those polyps in to the temporary Aquarium, so all the rocks will be dried(and used again in the future) and only live coral tissue will move into the propagation tanks.
Today I tried to use a regular saw(for wood) to saw through coral and rock. It worked! But I'm not sure how long the saw will last..
Since my hands were wet almost all day at work, I didn't take any pictures of that.

View attachment 1056689

View attachment 1056690

This was the only tank with stony corals at the Aquarium when I started working here in 2008. It has caused me a lot of headaches through the years, but also a lot of satisfaction when it finally turned and started working with me instead of against me :) I've learned so much from this tank. I've even written a history over this tank, that might be a small article some day.
But it doesn't feel as sad as I though I might to close it down. It was far from perfect and the design(very long tank) wasn't optimal for a reef tank I think. And what it most important to me, we will build new and hopefully better aquariums in a not so distant future :)

Here's a Pachyseris coral from the room devider reef. About 40 cm wide.

View attachment 1056698
WOW!!! Labor of love. Lotta children of the sea

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture taken under normal roof lights(probably T8 3000K something:p)

View attachment 1050587

This week I'm moving corals from "the room divider reef". There are some brown clove polyps in that tank I'm trying to avoid getting into the temporary Aquarium(the dark parts on the picture). So there's a lot of cutting and hammering to get only live coral tissue(or at least no clove polyps) out from this tank. It's been a rough day for some colonies..

And here we're growing LED lights ;)
View attachment 1050589

Can you tell us more about the pile of led lights?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 1056689

View attachment 1056690

Two quick things;
1.) That tank is not 1/2 empty. It is 1/2 FULL! ;Hilarious

2.) Next time you use the wood saw have someone video it and post it for us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back