Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things fall into place this week it feels like :) We'll start building the stands for the temporary tanks this week. Some new LED bars will arrive on Friday. Next week some of the new acrylic tanks will be ready to pick up(made in Gothenburg). And today we got an offer to borrow a couple of more large greenhouse LEDs from Heliospectra!
And Lasse almost approved the drawings of all the pipes and pumps we've done together with the engineers! :D

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things fall into place this week it feels like :) We'll start building the stands for the temporary tanks this week. Some new LED bars will arrive on Friday. Next week some of the new acrylic tanks will be ready to pick up(made in Gothenburg). And today we got an offer to borrow a couple of more large greenhouse LEDs from Heliospectra!
And Lasse almost approved the drawings of all the pipes and pumps we've done together with the engineers! :D
Glad things are coming together!

I talked to my friend and we got a fluid dynamics expert on the phone. The conclusion was that there isn't a good way to calculate or even model flow in a system like this. The only way to get accurate information is through small scale testing. That was a bit of a bummer.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad things are coming together!

I talked to my friend and we got a fluid dynamics expert on the phone. The conclusion was that there isn't a good way to calculate or even model flow in a system like this. The only way to get accurate information is through small scale testing. That was a bit of a bummer.

Okey! Thanks for trying!

Yes, and with reef structure in place it will probably be even more hard to calculate. I think it'll be a lot of testing and adjusting to get good flow everywhere anyways. Flow in an aquarium is not always so easy to predict I think, more something to try out and see :)

My head is spinning a bit after all good ideas from here and the colleagues. Good thing they won't even start building the tank for another year :D

It'll be nice to start building the temporary Aquarium, to have something more practical to do also.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said Lasse ALMOST approved piping and pumps. Something stopped him. Hopefully we'll get to know.:(

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okey, since I'm not sure which drawings I'm allowed to post, I went back to my old drawings from PowerPoint :D

Here's the reef tank from above. The large window(ruta=window) is all the way down to the bottom, the small one is from the surface to 2 meter depth. The only area open to behind the scenes is the sump-side. The sump is down stairs, but here you see it anyway. Avrinningsbox=overflow.
View attachment 846386

And here's the final drawing from the architect, a side view of the sump and skimmers... ;)

View attachment 846388
Hey guys, is that wet/dry filter tower?

Screenshot_2018-09-24-14-15-03-1.png

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, is that wet/dry tower?

View attachment 846792

Trickle filter kind of. Some of the water from the overflow will fall down over some kind of bioballs before it enters the sump. To get some extra filtration/aeration since there's so much fall from the overflow down to the sump(2 meters). Not sure on how much difference it'll do, but there will be pipes too if we need to remove the trickle filter.
This idea is Lasse approved ;)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trickle filter kind of. Some of the water from the overflow will fall down over some kind of bioballs before it enters the sump. To get some extra filtration/aeration since there's so much fall from the overflow down to the sump(2 meters). Not sure on how much difference it'll do, but there will be pipes too if we need to remove the trickle filter.
This idea is Lasse approved ;)
Awsome idea, it'll add additional oxygen. Nice

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With no visitors at the Aquarium, setting up new pumps are not as hard as before..
IMG_6267.JPG

And we don't need refugiums to grow algae, we grow them on the windows ;)

IMG_6270.JPG

World Wide Corals

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, here's a million dollar idea.
Wireless tank glass scrubber, controlled from smart phone.
Here's one Lasse didn't beat me to it. :p
They already make them. They even make them in a size appropriate for public aquariums.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods

Brew12

Electrical Gru
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Brew12 , you sound like a person in charge. The typical magnetic glass cleaners, is there any type designed for round glass/plexiglass. Let me know. Thx
Not that I'm aware of.

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, here's a million dollar idea.
Wireless tank glass scrubber, controlled from smart phone.
Here's one Lasse didn't beat me to it. :p
Yes, I really hope we can get one! at least for the largest window in the reef tank. Won't be easy to clean from the top of the tank.. ;Wideyed

AS

najer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the 500 an actual tank to experiment with, not experimenting risking corals, might help experimenting with flow, small establish frags, nothing challenging, of sps to see how they react, like micro engineering!?

OP
OP
Sallstrom

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the 500 an actual tank to experiment with, not experimenting risking corals, might help experimenting with flow, small establish frags, nothing challenging, of sps to see how they react, like micro engineering!?

Absolutely! If we connect it to some established system it won't be a risk filling it with corals as well :)
One important thing for me is to make sure we don't miscalculation on the angles when building reef structure to hide stuff. The refractive index changes when we fill the tank with water. It might be possible to calculate, but also try out in this small model.

I hope to have time to start with the wooden model this week. We got some hard styrofoam we will try to form as reef structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Innovative Marine - Made to Order
Back