+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tang

I’ve had my Yellow Tang for over six years and he’s been a model citizen. Ammonia in my tank is zero and all other fish (anthias, leopard wrasse, gramma) are all fine. The Yellow Tang behavior is always out in the open and eating. For the past two three days my tang has stopped eating and has been hovering near the sandbed.

Please see the link above with video a took a couple minutes ago.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
World Wide Corals

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yellow Tang

I’ve had my Yellow Tang for over six years and he’s been a model citizen. Ammonia in my tank is zero and all other fish (anthias, leopard wrasse, gramma) are all fine. The Yellow Tang behavior is always out in the open and eating. For the past two three days my tang has stopped eating and has been hovering near the sandbed.

Please see the link above with video a took a couple minutes ago.
What do you feed it? And if any, what vitamin soaks do you use?

Nutramar Foods

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I feed mysis mixed with two cube blends of Tang food - has seaweed, mysis, and other stuff in the blends. His behavior is a 180 versus how he normally is.
Yeah, that's very appealing food to a tang, he possibly has ich looking at the white spots on along the top fin. Do you have any Selcon?

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like there are some white spots along the top fin.
Yeah, that's very appealing food to a tang, he possibly has ich looking at the white spots on along the top fin. Do you have any Selcon?
Lights are going down for the night and I just snapped this picture. In my fifteen years of keeping a tank, I’ve never seen a fish of mine have Ich. I assume this is it? Should I take him out and put him in a hospital tank?

Attachments

• 3E492E3A-60FD-433E-88A7-D90B58260199.jpeg
    3E492E3A-60FD-433E-88A7-D90B58260199.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some Selcon from Amazon, will be here tomorrow. He’s not eating, so not sure if this will entice him?

BRS

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lights are going down for the night and I just snapped this picture. In my fifteen years of keeping a tank, I’ve never seen a fish of mine have Ich. I assume this is it? Should I take him out and put him in a hospital tank?
Could also be flukes, I wouldn't move to a hospital tank at this point as it will stress him out more. A lot of people would recommend moving and starting treatment, but I rarely see a successful treatment after this point. I would just feed heavy and try to get him eating. Selcon should entice him to eat and it is highly nutritious. Every fish I ever owned, even sick ones went crazy for the stuff. You could also order some Seachem garlic guard as that is also an enticer for fish.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be flukes, I wouldn't move to a hospital tank at this point as it will stress him out more. A lot of people would recommend moving and starting treatment, but I rarely see a successful treatment after this point. I would just feed heavy and try to get him eating. Selcon should entice him to eat and it is highly nutritious. Every fish I ever owned, even sick ones went crazy for the stuff. You could also order some Seachem garlic guard as that is also an enticer for fish.
Although I'm no expert, I tagged Jay and he is an expert. Once he chimes in, I would do whatever he recommends.

I hope @Jay Hemdal chimes in (I appreciate you tagging him) and can provide guidance. I’m panicking right now on what to do. I worry about him and the other fish in my tank. The rest are still eating and hopefully the Selcon will get the tang to. The tang has been just moping around and he’s banged into the euphyllia coral a few times. That makes me nervous since they’re a sticky coral.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
With the white spots being localized like that I might think that it's actually flukes or some other worms. [HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH] let us know your thoughts and next steps.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the white spots being localized like that I might think that it's actually flukes or some other worms. [HASH=55964]#fishmedic[/HASH] let us know your thoughts and next steps.
That’s a good possibility. I haven’t added any new fish or coral in the past six months. So I’m not sure what could have caused the flare up. Fingers crossed one of the fish disease experts chime in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good possibility. I haven’t added any new fish or coral in the past six months. So I’m not sure what could have caused the flare up. Fingers crossed one of the fish disease experts chime in.

I agree, the white spots are too localized to be ich, that would be more random, and would be smaller, less linear. They look like mucus to me. I don't see that as a sign of flukes, more just some skin irritation. The fish is breathing a bit fast, but that may just be a function of it being stressed out.

One thing to rule out - that it isn't blind. If you move near the tank (but not touching it) does it react to you? The not eating, and circling around like that can indicate a blind fish

Did it go suddenly off food, or did it gradually decrease its intake? If the latter, then not an acute issue like blindness.

Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the white spots are too localized to be ich, that would be more random, and would be smaller, less linear. They look like mucus to me. I don't see that as a sign of flukes, more just some skin irritation. The fish is breathing a bit fast, but that may just be a function of it being stressed out.

One thing to rule out - that it isn't blind. If you move near the tank (but not touching it) does it react to you? The not eating, and circling around like that can indicate a blind fish

Did it go suddenly off food, or did it gradually decrease its intake? If the latter, then not an acute issue like blindness.

Jay

Hi Jay!

Thanks so much for chiming in. I never thought of a fish going blind. I just went over to the tank a second ago, made a gesture at the glass, and he was not frighten at all. I attached a couple pictures I just took and one eye does look different than the other. How does this happen? Is there anything that can be done? He was eating two days ago and then suddenly stopped eating. I've devastated.

IMG_7067.jpg
IMG_7068.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay!

Thanks so much for chiming in. I never thought of a fish going blind. I just went over to the tank a second ago, made a gesture at the glass, and he was not frighten at all. I attached a couple pictures I just took and one eye does look different than the other. How does this happen? Is there anything that can be done? He was eating two days ago and then suddenly stopped eating. I've devastated.

View attachment 2783096View attachment 2783097

I wonder if it got spooked and ran into something? That looks like blood pooled in its right eye.

Jay

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it got spooked and ran into something? That looks like blood pooled in its right eye.

Jay

Do you know if there are any treatments I can do? Should I remove him from the DT to a quarantine tank? I don't know what to do in these circumstances. Thanks.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having any bacterial blooms? Slimey bacterial build up on pumps glass? Treating the tank with bacterial products?
Nope. My tank rarely has algae build up. I scrape the glass once per week, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm going to give it a few days and see if he begins to improve. If the Tang is indeed blind (which it seems to be the case) I am not sure what to do.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
GHL Advanced Technology
Back