*SBB Corals*- Games by codybot-End of Year/ New Year!!!! 650 WYSIWYG +100 Auctions!!! Prize, games, Giveaways- $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

OP
OP
SBB Corals

SBB Corals

10K Club member
Review score
+23 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+23 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

winner winner please message us for your $25 GC for being active in this thread ]]

winner GIF

Missro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas Eve Everyone!!

So Trident question....Sorry for the long post but we trust our SBB Tribe. We are chasing numbers and at wits ends at the moment.... We bought a New Apex Trident during the BRS sale and we thought great, no more number chasing...Yeah well....ok. First we started our aquarium with red sea tests, then about 6 months in we switched to Hanna and the tank has been running great based on Hannah testing for the last year. Well, we wanted to automate...Hence the trident...

We installed it about 2 weeks ago. We noticed the Alkalinity was off by about a full point of what the Hanna was. So we recalibrated it. It ended up being the same thing... We thought well we will just kind of accept it as it is as that's what people say in reef2reef forums when they talked to BRS or to Neptune Support. But now our alkalinity is dropping and the Hanna is not really doing anything in terms of dramatic drops. We lost our SBB Disneyland about a week ago recently....and a Big R Walt Disney about 2 weeks ago, not the happiest place on Earth here.

We were auto doing 50ml a day of Alkalinity before the trident and life was good. We had alkalinity around 8, Magnesium at 1350 and Calcium around 450. We have a 90gallon display W/a 30 gallon sump (Waterbox). As we installed the trident we did get about 25 new sps frags and 5 softies. It is a mixed, but sps dominant tank. As numbers fell we slowly increased Alkalinity as we did expect a drop. But we are up top 85ml a day. We are worried about a crash on either too much, too little or too much changing. And all the tests are somewhat conflicting.

We have new trident calibration reagents coming today...So we are going to recalibrate it as we did the calibration location a bit higher than where we have it now. We did a full test yesterday with red sea, hannah and compared trident tests....and sent out an ICP test. We will address the Calcium and the Magnesium as well. But our main concern before we go full chemist and dosing even crazier, is the alkalinity. Right now 90% of tank is happy, good PE on SPS and Softies are happy. There are a few millipora that are not extending like normal. Temp is a little off as the tank is in the garage. We moved to a new house in October and we are in the middle of installing new heating /AC. We just programmed a second heater to keep up hence today readings are higher.

Yesterdays' numbers:
1671911245654.png

As of 6am this is what Trident is reading:
1671909907695.png

It is testing again as I type now. Hanna said 8.1 Alk a few minutes ago and red sea was 7.0...So other than re-calibration, we are about to trace all lines in trident and from sample line to make sure there is no pinch point. The sample line is about 4 to 5 feet from the trident. We didn't cut it, and the sample line is between the sock baffles in the sump.

Any ideas or something we may not be thinking of?

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So Trident question....Sorry for the long post but we trust our SBB Tribe. We are chasing numbers and at wits ends at the moment.... We bought a New Apex Trident during the BRS sale and we thought great, no more number chasing...Yeah well....ok. First we started our aquarium with red sea tests, then about 6 months in we switched to Hanna and the tank has been running great based on Hannah testing for the last year. Well, we wanted to automate...Hence the trident...

We installed it about 2 weeks ago. We noticed the Alkalinity was off by about a full point of what the Hanna was. So we recalibrated it. It ended up being the same thing... We thought well we will just kind of accept it as it is as that's what people say in reef2reef forums when they talked to BRS or to Neptune Support. But now our alkalinity is dropping and the Hanna is not really doing anything in terms of dramatic drops. We lost our SBB Disneyland about a week ago recently....and a Big R Walt Disney about 2 weeks ago, not the happiest place on Earth here.

We were auto doing 50ml a day of Alkalinity before the trident and life was good. We had alkalinity around 8, Magnesium at 1350 and Calcium around 450. We have a 90gallon display W/a 30 gallon sump (Waterbox). As we installed the trident we did get about 25 new sps frags and 5 softies. It is a mixed, but sps dominant tank. As numbers fell we slowly increased Alkalinity as we did expect a drop. But we are up top 85ml a day. We are worried about a crash on either too much, too little or too much changing. And all the tests are somewhat conflicting.

We have new trident calibration reagents coming today...So we are going to recalibrate it as we did the calibration location a bit higher than where we have it now. We did a full test yesterday with red sea, hannah and compared trident tests....and sent out an ICP test. We will address the Calcium and the Magnesium as well. But our main concern before we go full chemist and dosing even crazier, is the alkalinity. Right now 90% of tank is happy, good PE on SPS and Softies are happy. There are a few millipora that are not extending like normal. Temp is a little off as the tank is in the garage. We moved to a new house in October and we are in the middle of installing new heating /AC. We just programmed a second heater to keep up hence today readings are higher.

Yesterdays' numbers:
View attachment 2946452

View attachment 2946383

It is testing again as I type now. Hanna said 8.1 Alk a few minutes ago and red sea was 7.0...So other than re-calibration, we are about to trace all lines in trident and from sample line to make sure there is no pinch point. The sample line is about 4 to 5 feet from the trident. We didn't cut it, and the sample line is between the sock baffles in the sump.

Sometimes they get a little wonky. I started reading 2k mag and 0 calcium just yesterday. Just had to reset and recalibrate with the solution and it's back in line with hanna results. Might be worth checking the calibration solution on Hannah as well to see where it's at. If your tank is large enough and you have enough sps then you are just gonna burn through a lot of alk. I know a lot of people, myself included, switch to carx at that point

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yesterdays' numbers:
View attachment 2946452

View attachment 2946383

Usually after calibrating the trident there is some extra solution left. I would use the leftover to test the Hanna and Red Sea kits (if there is enough left over) to see which one you should believe. I’ve been using a trident with controlled dosing for about a year and a half and I no longer calibrate with their solution. I test my tank water multiple times with my Red Sea and Hanna tests (which have usually been relatively close for me) and then calibrate with my tanks water using the average of those tested values.

Since your trident and Red Sea tests gave the same alkalinity I would be inclined to trust them more than the Hanna. Hanna alkalinity checkers have been known to have issues with alkalinity readings, especially as the reagent ages.

Yazreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yesterdays' numbers:
View attachment 2946452

View attachment 2946383

Trident is unreliable on that regard. I have had to calibrate it multiple times and keep watching h the levels. I trust hanna all over trident and Hanna is always my reference of correction. I would start dosing Kalkwasser and supplement with all for reef if needed. I have a lot of acropora and Kalkwasser is enough for the most part. I really don't care too much about Calcium and Magnesium with trident as Kalkwasser is an equal parts CA an KH.

Yazreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident is unreliable on that regard. I have had to calibrate it multiple times and keep watching h the levels. I trust hanna all over trident and Hanna is always my reference of correction. I would start dosing Kalkwasser and supplement with all for reef if needed. I have a lot of acropora and Kalkwasser is enough for the most part. I really don't care too much about Calcium and Magnesium with trident as Kalkwasser is an equal parts CA an KH.
The high 10 and the low 7 is recalibration of trident with Hanna as a reference.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-24-12-33-36-72_5b5a886e3f3fc74b8c0a8367bc1ffbe2.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-24-12-33-36-72_5b5a886e3f3fc74b8c0a8367bc1ffbe2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 7

Yazreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high 10 and the low 7 is recalibration of trident with Hanna as a reference.
Oh and by the way I'm using ABC reagent instead of the overpriced trident one!!

Missro

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually after calibrating the trident there is some extra solution left. I would use the leftover to test the Hanna and Red Sea kits (if there is enough left over) to see which one you should believe. I’ve been using a trident with controlled dosing for about a year and a half and I no longer calibrate with their solution. I test my tank water multiple times with my Red Sea and Hanna tests (which have usually been relatively close for me) and then calibrate with my tanks water using the average of those tested values.

Since your trident and Red Sea tests gave the same alkalinity I would be inclined to trust them more than the Hanna. Hanna alkalinity checkers have been known to have issues with alkalinity readings, especially as the reagent ages.
Thanks! So we did buy the solution Hanna has to test your checker. Totally forgot to mention that, sorry! It was at the top of the accepted levels. But will try the calibration solution to check as well!

Sometimes they get a little wonky. I started reading 2k mag and 0 calcium just yesterday. Just had to reset and recalibrate with the solution and it's back in line with hanna results. Might be worth checking the calibration solution on Hannah as well to see where it's at. If your tank is large enough and you have enough sps then you are just gonna burn through a lot of alk. I know a lot of people, myself included, switch to carx at that point
So the neptune solution says only good for 8 hrs after opening it. Do you find it to still be accurate after that, or do you have extra tests on hand? We will have to look into Carx. I've never heard of it. We are totally fine using more Alk we just didn't want to OD the tank. Everything was going fine until we got a trident and we either are fine or we were about to have some kind of crash. Too much $$ and time in it to crash it if we can prevent it. And reset...I don't think we've actually done that one yet.

We use red sea products for dosing in the main display. But if we can't figure it out we may try a change. We are preferential to Hannah but If the ICP test comes back closer to Red Sea/Trident we will have to go that route. I just hope ICP doesn't throw in left field with even more wonky results. We use all reef for our Nano. It works well but it's a softie tank. If we can stay with red sea we'd prefer to but we will see...

Thanks everyone!! Time to go get frustrated with the trident. I know it is 5 o'clock somewhere........

Special K

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay. Camera died and had to recharge we r working on getting them to our computer today and should be posting some here soon what kind of corals are you looking for ?
Looking for some gonis torch or two and some mushrooms

tbrown3589

It's just me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Almost finished my auto water change system! Just a few more pieces and test runs
I've considered doing that. Had it completely drawn out and designed for the 110 planted freshwater tank and ready to purchase and install. Laziness set in and I figure it's planted so the nitrates stay low anyway. Now I haven't done a water change in 5 years on that tank. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back