Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "truth" exists regardless of our own beliefs or our ability to perceive it through our own biases, which is why I think we should be self-aware enough to be willing to constantly test our own beliefs to check our own biases.

While I subscribe to this train of thought, portions of society, and in some cases, powerful portions of society have determined that the truth is, in fact, subjective and malleable. There are any number of examples of this presently. One example is that if one has sex reassignment surgery they have, in fact, changed their sex. I will take this a step further. If one has not had sex reassignment surgery but, instead, makes the claim that they are no longer what/who they are then they have, in fact, changed. Maybe this reply will upset some people. Maybe it won't. I would think it will spur some interesting conversation amongst those who feel freely enough to speak their mind, at the very least.

Happy you found your cleaner Goby!

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dropped the Onion as my recommendation which is also fully satirical and nobody blinked an eye.
haha I thought you were being serious!
may as well get our news from The Onion given how accurately some of the mainstream reporting is.
At least we get something out of The Onion!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was not here when you dropped it. Satire often seems to me to be a good way to share news as it quickly reveals something about the consumer based on how they react: it shows confirmation bias if the satire is misinterpreted as fact, it shows the consumer's self-awareness of personal biases if the satirical joke is understood and both sides are considered, or it shows a general cluelessness to what the consumer really believes if they do not find the satire interesting at all for either of the previous reasons. At least, this is how I perceive it.

There are some news sources on the previous charts that I am surprised are categorized like they are, but they seem to be somewhat generally correct. Maybe some of them I disagree with categorization not because of how I read and perceive them while trying to recognize my own biases but rather because of how I have seen people around me react based on the news or use the articles as "proof" in an argument without accounting for counter-points.

I don't know if we really can remove ourselves from our own biases completely, so all news can have a biased slant, but I still will take in information from any source and interpret for myself what seems to be the real news. As @fishguy242 said, "Our eye's and world actions show us more than a "monitored " news report." I believe one of the worst things for any of us in regard to news is seeking confirmation bias instead of recognizing the danger therein. The "truth" exists regardless of our own beliefs or our ability to perceive it through our own biases, which is why I think we should be self-aware enough to be willing to constantly test our own beliefs to check our own biases.

Now I'm off my news soapbox, so back to reef discussion:
I added a couple sizeable chunks of my ocean-direct live rock to my work tank this morning (forgot my camera, so no pictures) and also found the missing cleaner goby still alive and well!
Also critical to recognizing our biases is "cross isle conversation". More and more so "we" are concerned with safe spaces and surrounding ourselves with like-minded people that we can lose sight of the validity of other opinions or world views. Some tanks run well with ultra low nutrients, some do better in dirty water. Maybe, just maybe there is room enough on this forum for both to be right. By way of metaphor (if you want to stay with lost's prompt) or not (if you want to stay with reefing).

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also critical to recognizing our biases is "cross isle conversation". More and more so "we" are concerned with safe spaces and surrounding ourselves with like-minded people that we can lose sight of the validity of other opinions or world views. Some tanks run well with ultra low nutrients, some do better in dirty water. Maybe, just maybe there is room enough on this forum for both to be right. By way of metaphor (if you want to stay with lost's prompt) or not (if you want to stay with reefing).
That's a good metaphor.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One example is that if one has sex reassignment surgery they have, in fact, changed their sex. I will take this a step further. If one has not has not had sex reassignment surgery but, instead, makes the claim that they are no longer what/who they are then they have, in fact, changed. Maybe this reply will upset some people.
This upsets me because I'm mostly fluent in English and don't understand it.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conservative commentator and part owner of the Daily Wire, Ben Shapiro has gone on record a few times asking people to diversify their input and think objectively for themselves.

I think he asked people to listen to his show, then a pod save America episode. Anyone not familiar with PSA, it is hosted by 4 former aides to former President Obama. In theory, they are total opposites on the spectrum.

I think there's something to be said for that.

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conservative commentator and part owner of the Daily Wire, Ben Shapiro has gone on record a few times asking people to diversify their input and think objectively for themselves.

I think he asked people to listen to his show, then a pod save America episode. Anyone not familiar with PSA, it is hosted by 4 former aides to former President Obama. In theory, they are total opposites on the spectrum.

I think there's something to be said for that.
I see it as a sign of weakness when we don't confront our views and values.
apropos?

edit: it's not even blocked at my work!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped the Onion as my recommendation which is also fully satirical and nobody blinked an eye.
Actually, The Daily Show when Jon Stewart was there was a pretty great source, IMO.
(Nothing against Trever Noah personally, Jon's show was just different ;) )

Top Shelf Aquatics

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it as a sign of weakness when we don't confront our views and values.
apropos?

edit: it's not even blocked at my work!
First time seeing this video. It is wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This upsets me because I'm mostly fluent in English and don't understand it.
I see what happened and corrected it for better comprehension.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what happened and corrected it for better comprehension.
Now I can read it. As I'll say to the mrs. sometimes (she always chuckles, but I think she doesn't like hearing it) "it's my job to understand what people are trying to say and you have me confused."

Avast
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I can read it. As I'll say to the mrs. sometimes (she always chuckles, but I think she doesn't like hearing it) "it's my job to understand what people are trying to say and you have me confused."
Same world with my kids..

"At any point are you going to make all of these words, make sense, because your are currently failing to communicate"

Projects with Sam

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I find that when I convey similar sentiments I'm labeled "obnoxious"... I simply think people are not progressive enough!
Austin Powers Movie GIF

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"At any point are you going to make all of these words, make sense, because your are currently failing to communicate"
Yes, and I am sure they respond to your response not making much more sense.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that when I convey similar sentiments I'm labeled "obnoxious"... I simply think people are not progressive enough!
Austin Powers Movie GIF
Take it back.

I routinely turn the toilet paper roll, to dispense from the CORRECT angle when it has been installed all wonkydoo.. how's That for progressive?

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, and I am sure they respond to your response not making much more sense.
They communicate with a huff and an eye roll by about the third word. I consider that progress ?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

so I got that to look forward to...

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it back.

I routinely turn the toilet paper roll, to dispense from the CORRECT angle when it has been installed all wonkydoo.. how's That for progressive?
at least it gets installed.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back