Running Aquarium off Generator Question, Incoming Snowstorm.

Ecotech Marine

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I got myself a good ol’ arctic snowstorm heading my way, and I’ve been warned this can potentially leave me without power for a week. So heading out after work to pick up a generator. Never used one before so I have some questions in regards to running an aquarium off one. No coral, just fish and inverts.

Between the heaters and pumps, I’ve got about ~1200 watts, and 2 165w LED lights, so easy enough to run. Don’t think the furnace is set up to run off a generator, so probably would have to add a couple more heaters.

Anyways. I’ve read that the standard portable generators don’t provide “clean” enough power to run certain electronics, and the more expensive inverter generators are required. Is this going to cause me any problems with the above equipment? Price difference between the two in my area is pretty substantial, almost triple for the same output.

Any other advice to prep a tank for long term outages? I haven’t had to deal with a power outage longer than a couple hours since getting into aquariums, and never when it’s -25° celsius outside.

CLICK TO VIEW

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point beggars can't be choosers, so I think "any" generator is a win at this point. I don't think you should have too many worries with the heaters and pumps - it's things like controllers I'd probably be more concerned with. Not sure about the LEDs. Most of your tank heating will in fact come from ambient air heating - so you may need more heaters (not sure about the size of your tank; my 200-gallon system uses 700-watts of heating).

You guys have had the short end of the stick for the past year or so with flooding and now this freak snowstorm - so we're all thinking of you out West.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ask for a pure sine wave gen

my westinghouse 2200 is one, 500xx off amazon, saved me twice so far and the other 110v leg ran my fridge. these need a break in period at least in some way or you'll age it 80% on the first use and it'll work, but not last very long.

at least pre run it and be changing the oil correctly in prep, as much as possible, before extended load use. if you can find any one that says pure sine wave you're set on quality for these electronics, lighting wouldnt be needed very much at all. you'd ramp up over two weeks back to normal lights after the issue passes, vs try and give lots of energy to lighting during the stress period. reduce intensity bigtime and length of use/hours for lighting during the stress event.

AquaCave Logo Banner

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some high quality surge protectors **, if you have to run a regular generator. Also with the newer Refrigerators and Freezers, you should already have them on a surge protector. ** You should already have these on your Aquarium equipment, to protect from Street Power Surges.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy some high quality surge protectors **, if you have to run a regular generator. Also with the newer Refrigerators and Freezers, you should already have them on a surge protector. ** You should already have these on your Aquarium equipment, to protect from Street Power Surges.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point beggars can't be choosers, so I think "any" generator is a win at this point. I don't think you should have too many worries with the heaters and pumps - it's things like controllers I'd probably be more concerned with. Not sure about the LEDs. Most of your tank heating will in fact come from ambient air heating - so you may need more heaters (not sure about the size of your tank; my 200-gallon system uses 700-watts of heating).

You guys have had the short end of the stick for the past year or so with flooding and now this freak snowstorm - so we're all thinking of you out West.
Tell me about it. Last year my tank was rapidly converted from salt to freshwater. Fortunately I was able to save most of my fishy friends from that event. Wouldn’t want to lose them now.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even plan on running either of those off a generator. Nature is my fridge/freezer if the outage goes long enough. Actually colder outside than it is in the deep freeze!

But yes, I do have surge protectors. Noted that they’ll help. Thanks.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ask for a pure sine wave gen

my westinghouse 2200 is one, 500xx off amazon, saved me twice so far and the other 110v leg ran my fridge. these need a break in period at least in some way or you'll age it 80% on the first use and it'll work, but not last very long.

at least pre run it and be changing the oil correctly in prep, as much as possible, before extended load use. if you can find any one that says pure sine wave you're set on quality for these electronics, lighting wouldnt be needed very much at all. you'd ramp up over two weeks back to normal lights after the issue passes, vs try and give lots of energy to lighting during the stress period. reduce intensity bigtime and length of use/hours for lighting during the stress event.
Noted, thank you.

Unfortunately due to where I live I have exactly one store to shop for generators at, good ol’ Canadian Tire. Nearest other stores are an hour away over highways that are as close to death traps as death traps get right now.

As far as a break in period goes, how long does that have to be? I wasn’t planning on actually using it unless I have to, so I could return it if I don’t use it. Save up, buy a better one when it’s less urgent and can afford it. But not the end of the world if I can’t do that.

I hate being unprepared, figured I would’ve learned by now!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a portable generator I've run my tank, and many other things off many times, and for many days at a time over the years. We loose power a lot in the winter.

It's not a fancy shmancy sine wave genny, but a regular old generator. I unplug my 3 eb8's from the wall, and plug them into the genny. I also have 2 routers, my spectrum box, tv, sound bar, and a NAS box on a power bar that I also plug in, along with my pellet stove.

I've never had an issue. You'll be fine with a regular old generator.

Top Shelf Aquatics

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nobody can say what works outside the mnfctr rules, the break in is designed to cause and export small metal bits from within the system during metal break in

They will for sure fire up and run pretty normally without any break in, it's for long term care

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nobody can say what works outside the mnfctr rules, the break in is designed to cause and export small metal bits from within the system during metal break in

They will for sure fire up and run pretty normally without any break in, it's for long term care
Fair enough. Got one today, 40% off and is sufficient to run the entire aquarium with plenty of juice to spare. Manual says 1 hour idle, 5 hours at 50% or less. Perfect! A really nice surge protector was on sale 60% too! Christmas came early for this Canadian lad.

Much appreciate the advice everyone! Fish ain’t freezing this year.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree but a surge suppressor won't do anything to clean up the dirty power a gen set produces. You need a power conditioner, and ones that really work are not cheap. If you have fancy electronics go inverter or power conditioner, if you have manual black boxes, halides, standard heaters , AC pumps and no fancy controllers, you should be ok with a standard generator. I have a cheap champion dual fuel inverter that will run my natural gas furnace, tank heaters, and pumps. That's all I really care about. If I can't sustain the the home furnace due to running out of propane or load issues so be it, I'll freeze, I work in sub freezing temps all winter, I'll add more layers

Nutramar Foods
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back