Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes life easier but at upwards of $700 USD is what makes me cringe. Especially since I rarely lose power. Aside from that, I love a DIY challenge. I could piece a setup together for about $250. Just takes some thought, luckily commercial electrical is my trade so it shouldn't be too difficult.
What generator?

Some ATS (generac, example) have a start output. Others (Kholer) have a comm interface and the start circuit is in the Genset controller and not the ATS.

I would not try to build an ATS. I would buy one branded for the genset or a generic controller/ATS with a starter output.

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fuel stabilizer floats on top of the and prevents it from oxidizing and or force water separation. All stored gasoline benefits.
Im weird when it come to this. I drain my tank into a fuel tank to use for lawnmower and turn off draincock off while genny runs to burn off fuel in lines. This would be a reason why I want the conversion kit. It’s work to do it my way.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What generator?

Some ATS (generac, example) have a start output. Others (Kholer) have a comm interface and the start circuit is in the Genset controller and not the ATS.

I would not try to build an ATS. I would buy one branded for the genset or a generic controller/ATS with a starter output.
Predator 8750. Nothing fancy other that it’s an inverter genny and it has electric start. An ATS is really nice and simple version of what I’m trying to do. The diy makes for a fun project.

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im weird when it come to this. I drain my tank into a fuel tank to use for lawnmower and turn off drain **** off while genny runs to burn off fuel in lines. This would be a reason why I want the conversion kit. It’s work to do it my way.
Yeah fuel really should never be stored in the unit. It degrades as well as eats the carb gaskets and seat. That is also why a like the small portable homda inverters. Easy to drain and keep Dry.

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im weird when it come to this. I drain my tank into a fuel tank to use for lawnmower and turn off draincock off while genny runs to burn off fuel in lines. This would be a reason why I want the conversion kit. It’s work to do it my way.
I run mine out of gas, with no load. Change the oil and pull the plug, pour a cap of oil, and pull string a couple times, when its done working

Nutramar Foods

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Predator 8750. Nothing fancy other that it’s an inverter genny and it has electric start. An ATS is really nice and simple version of what I’m trying to do. The diy makes for a fun project.
The controller gets you cranking logic and also mains monitoring for sags, etc. Well worth the money.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No load can be hard on some units.
Were talking the bottom of the tank(20 minutes) and carb.. thought it would be better than leaving carb full, I haven't switched to rec fuel yet. When the storm hits, you're not finding rec fuel. Be lucky for premium

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller gets you cranking logic and also mains monitoring for sags, etc. Well worth the money.
Basic controllers start at about 250-300. Although they make life easier I personally don’t need or can work around crank logic and don’t think mains monitoring is something that could sell me on the cost.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah fuel really should never be stored in the unit. It degrades as well as eats the carb gaskets and seat. That is also why a like the small portable homda inverters. Easy to drain and keep Dry.
I researched/like the Honda inverter generators. Last I seen they only have 3000w units. Double for 6 in 220. Which is equivalent to what I have now. If the had a 5kw continuous unit that can be piggybacked with another, I'd be all over it... a upgrade has to be "more", right? How many hours runtime do you get out of the tank on that Honda?

Top Shelf Aquatics

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I researched/like the Honda inverter generators. Last I seen they only have 3000w units. Double for 6 in 220. Which is equivalent to what I have now. If the had a 5kw continuous unit that can be piggybacked with another, I'd be all over it... a upgrade has to be "more", right? How many hours runtime do you get out of the tank on that Honda?

I have the 2200i

i get 6+ hours at a medium load Per gallon
Tank, deep freeze and fridge And computers and switches.

Super quiet and portable. Whole house is now on 22kW kohler with service entrance transfer switch.

A lot of folks severally overestimate their load and overbuy portable generators. That huge 10kW Genset cranking out 1500 watts is wasting a ton of fuel.

I have had 2-3 of the harbor freight 10kW amd 6kW units. They all eventually failed or were too much of a PITA and heavy to deal with. I got the honda and even she can grab it, fuel it and start it.

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2200i

Super quiet and portable. Whole house is now on 22kW kohler with service entrance transfer switch.

A lot of folks severally overestimate their load and overbuy portable generators. That huge 10kW Genset cranking out 1500 watts is wasting a ton of fuel.

I have had 2-3 of the harbor freight 10kW amd 6kW units. They all eventually failed or were too much of a PITA and heavy to deal with. I got the honda and even she can grab it, fuel it and start it.
So it won't make it through the night?; this is my hesitation the Honda's. 10kw is for running a/c and everything else you want to run. If I lose power, its either a couple hours or 5+days. Moderate load on a 2200 is just the tank, fan, and some lights. When we lose electricity, its 90 something degrees, or better, out... need a/c

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it won't make it through the night?; this is my hesitation the Honda's. 10kw is for running a/c and everything else you want to run. If I lose power, its either a couple hours or 5+days. Moderate load on a 2200 is just the tank, fan, and some lights. When we lose electricity, its 90 something degrees, or better, out... need a/c
You can add an external fuel cell Of any size you want. Pretty nifty setup.

Part of the reason I went with the 22kW service rated setup…. A/C and everything else without cords, load shedding etc. Expensive it convenient.

Reefering1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2200i

My CAT is on wheels and rolls out easy
You can add an external fuel cell Of any size you want. Pretty nifty setup.

Part of the reason I went with the 22kW service rated setup…. A/C and everything else without cords, load shedding etc. Expensive it convenient.
My house has a 50a service in the lanai, I think it used to have a hot tub or above ground pool. So no cords. I then have have a 125' cord to pull in the generator.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back