Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a good Pic of what the used looks like and how well light passes through the new roll. I will post mine.
I would guess judging by the comparison photo, to your hand/roll. It looks thinner then my last and current roll.
20230226_201438.jpg 20230226_201456.jpg 20230226_201623.jpg PhotoCollage_20230226_202845902.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your water level on the outside about 1 inch below the sensor?
About 1.25-1.5" below yes. I had thought about raising the unit abit. But remember, my first roll lasted three weeks.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Aframereef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely raise it.
I had part of my first roll that was so thin for like 10 feet that it only advanced a couple inches a day. I think they just don't have good quality control on how the make the floss and maybe yours started thin.
Raise it up as high as you can and it should improve things. I would raise mine but I designed these to fit my custom sump and can't easily raise them.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely raise it.
I had part of my first roll that was so thin for like 10 feet that it only advanced a couple inches a day. I think they just don't have good quality control on how the make the floss and maybe yours started thin.
Raise it up as high as you can and it should improve things. I would raise mine but I designed these to fit my custom sump and can't easily raise them.
Even raising it though, doesn't explain why one roll lasted over three weeks. Then the following two usage increased dramatically. Or like @blaxsun mentioned, restricting flow. But again wouldnt expain why it changed.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[HASH=1]#reefsquad[/HASH]

Makes no difference raising the unit they said. Also make advance length 6-10 inches to see if that helps. And we'll send you a couple rolls. That's their solution.......After a week of communication, and a roll wasted, this is how far we've gotten!

Now I wake up this Am. And the unit says it's jammed. Go check it and nothing is jammed. Roll is straight and free, with no twists. Remove drive wheel roll. Do a reset on it. And the drive motor won't even advance with nothing attached to it.

Seriously this is getting pathetic. Who is the resident redsea rep? Sort this out

kbnh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Makes no difference raising the unit they said. Also make advance length 6-10 inches to see if that helps. And we'll send you a couple rolls. That's their solution.......After a week of communication, and a roll wasted, this is how far we've gotten!

Now I wake up this Am. And the unit says it's jammed. Go check it and nothing is jammed. Roll is straight and free, with no twists. Remove drive wheel roll. Do a reset on it. And the drive motor won't even advance with nothing attached to it.

Seriously this is getting pathetic. Who is the resident redsea rep? Sort this out
I’m definitely not the resident rep but when my drive unit went bad it first went through almost a half roll that was remaining before burning out, wouldn’t spin the roll either direction, they ended up replacing the drive unit

Aframereef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I have done is once a week I put a drop of vegetable oil on the spool ends where they turn on the base unit. I do this because after a month I noticed plastic dust was forming and I could hear the motor were having more trouble running. With the oil the no longer make dust and motors sound better. I also try too clean everything each time I change the roll.

Just an FYI

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m definitely not the resident rep but when my drive unit went bad it first went through almost a half roll that was remaining before burning out, wouldn’t spin the roll either direction, they ended up replacing the drive unit
Funny you say that. Now their replacing the drive motor. And sending some new rolls. All I want is for this usage to be similar to the first roll around three weeks. Not a roll every seven days......We'll see I guess

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

FishyLips

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know what triggers the ReefMat to beginning rolling. I posted a similar issue, with jamming, but found that when I decrease my 'advance length' the device is prone to jamming. It might be too heavy for the motor to turn. I' m averaging 88.4 cm per day until recently. I think it is time for a roll change. I'm on my third roll since August, 2022, in a RS 625 G2.

Top Shelf Aquatics

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too loud. It's a slight trickle for a while before it gets noticeable. If I'm in the room and it starts to bother me I'll manually advance it 2-3 inches
I try to avoid this as it splashes like crazy... (then I have to wipe the inside of the doors, sides of the ReefMat, the RO reservoir...)

Ev8siveaz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had them replace a drive on mine as well. It went. Sounded terrible and struggled. My issue with them is some rolls last me 8 weeks and some last me 2 to 3. It's not the tank because the short rolls literally do it from the day it's changed to the day it's done and then then next roll goes back to normal the day it's put it. That part really bothers me because the rolls are pretty expensive imo.

Morpheosz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Even raising it though, doesn't explain why one roll lasted over three weeks. Then the following two usage increased dramatically. Or like @blaxsun mentioned, restricting flow. But again wouldnt expain why it changed.

FWIW, I have the 500 and initially it was using about 36" per day when I first installed it. Like most people, I try to keep max extra water in my sump so I had a fairly high water level in that chamber of my sump. It was probably 2/3 the way up the reefmat chamber. I tried lowering the water level 2-3" so it's roughly and inch or two above the bottom of the reefmat roll chamber and now I use about 11" per day. It didn't initially occur to me, but it makes intuitive sense, the more it is out of the water, the more water pressure there is and the more effective the floss will be for longer as the pressure will push more water through for longer before the water level rises and triggers the roll. YMMV, but it was a 2/3 reduction in roll consumption for me and I am a happy camper. My roll lasts about 3 months now. I am also using the media chamber for carbon - I've found you just have to be careful there to not fill it to the top. I fill it about 80% and it works great without impacting the roll.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back