Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post. I have a Reefmat 500 and the drive unit would not rotate the spool one evening last week. No attempts or motor noise and a Jam message present in the app with a blinking alarm light on the drive unit itself were the observed symptoms. I tried a couple power resets and a 12 hour power down without any success. The unit has been working w/o issue for just over a year. I contacted RedSea and they quickly replied by email to offer sending a replacement motor. I was surprised they offer internal replacement parts for the drive unit, but the replacement was straight forward and simple to complete. No signs of moisture intrusion or burned components. The replacement motor resolved the concern.

I was curious on what caused the failure. The drive motor (looks like a permanent magnet DC motor) is attached to a plastic gearbox. I removed the motor from the gearbox (held by a plastic strap) and the gearbox turned freely and smooth. Reduction ratio is likely pretty low as it's difficult to turn the output side when the motor is connected. I hooked the DC motor to my bench power supply @ 12.0V and tried a low amperage 1st 100 mA, no movement, 200 mA no movement, the motor finally turned at over 500 mA. After this initial power up, the motor would move @ 100 mA every time. Reinstalled the motor in the gearbox and put some good load on the output end w/o any large increases in amperage draw. I've put the old motor in the parts bin, but I suspect some brush issue?

Thanks for posting the info on the driver side. I'm curious if it uses the same PCB as the 1200. If I have to open the drive unit up again, I'll take some pictures.

Attachments

• RM500 DU.jpg
    RM500 DU.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 10
  • RM500 DU extra.jpg
    RM500 DU extra.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
A

Aframereef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that is basically what I experienced. Motor would draw a lot of current but once moving it drops way down. The extra chip gives it the boost to get it going. I still think a firmware fix might be possible that would just retry the motor driver a bunch of times before it gives up. They have a separate current sense resistor so they can monitor the current and allow higher currents for startup.

My gut tell me they may just be sending out the same motors. So it will be interested to see what happens 6 to 12 months from now.

mikedoes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after my modification I ran an entire roll with no issues and it detected the end of roll just fine. This is what I did.
I added another motor driver Chip in parallel by soldering it on top of the existing one. Now this is not something I would normally do in one of my designs, I would just design in a more powerful chip. But I needed a fix fast and I had my chip from digikey in a day. What this does is allows the motor to draw more current at start up. Each chip gets 1/2 the load so it doesn't trip the current limit built into the chip. I really think they need to redesign the PCB but I am going to go with this for now. I will let everyone know if I come across any issues but this went from not working at all to working 100%.

You have to be very good at soldering. You can see the double stacked chip in the picture.
I can’t locate this chip @ digikey.

AquaCave Logo Banner

mikedoes

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok after my modification I ran an entire roll with no issues and it detected the end of roll just fine. This is what I did.
I added another motor driver Chip in parallel by soldering it on top of the existing one. Now this is not something I would normally do in one of my designs, I would just design in a more powerful chip. But I needed a fix fast and I had my chip from digikey in a day. What this does is allows the motor to draw more current at start up. Each chip gets 1/2 the load so it doesn't trip the current limit built into the chip. I really think they need to redesign the PCB but I am going to go with this for now. I will let everyone know if I come across any issues but this went from not working at all to working 100%.

You have to be very good at soldering. You can see the double stacked chip in the picture.
I can’t locate the chip @ Digikey.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back