+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Tomorrow there is a planned power outage in my area. It is for four hours. I have a mixed reed the is an all in one 50 gallon. You guys think things will be okay in my tank?

Nutramar Foods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If you're worried about oxygenation, get a battery powered air pump and/or plan to scoop out water and pour it back into the tank from as high as reasonable (several times an hour). If you're worried about temperature, either freeze some water bottles to float in the tank or insulate the tank by wrapping it in a blanket or sleeping bag (depending on whether you need to prevent the tank from getting too hot or cold)

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, 4 hours is no sweat. If you possibly have a computer battery backup, you can run a single powerhead for hours which will give you circulation and oxygen.

It's a good time of year for outages weather wise. You don't have to worry much about temp.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not worried about temp just not circulation for 4 hours. Thank you both for the reassurance.
What do you think the max time would be?

Well, think of it this way, fish and corals are shipped at least 24 hours in a small bag with no powerhead or heat. You'll be just fine.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Tomorrow there is a planned power outage in my area. It is for four hours. I have a mixed reed the is an all in one 50 gallon. You guys think things will be okay in my tank?
“They” say 4 hours…?… Where do you live? Is this normal? Is it usually the time frame “they” say….?

Corals.com

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true about about bag but the micro fauna use the oxygen in a tank. I appreciate the help. Made me feel better.
Should be good… Got pics of the tank? You could always just get a bucket and fill it and dump it back in the tank to aerate/move water. If you’re sitting around and feel like/have time to do a little reassuring husbandry , might as well… Hopefully temps are around room temp where you live tomorrow….

Top Shelf Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s never happened before. I’m gonna take their word for it as they will be rather liable if it goes longer than they say.

April 1st this year, power went out for 8 hours and I was woefully unprepared. For the first two hours, I just waited as it's usually not out for that long. Nope, didn't come back so I hooked up a computer APC I have and ran one MP40 for the next couple of hours then it quit. 4 more hours with nothing.

I went and bought a generator, set it all up, fired it up, and then the power came back on lol.

I have a 100% FULL Acropora SPS tank. If these didn't die, yours certainly won't.

Hey if it comes down to it, get you a large wooden/plastic spoon/spatula and stir away sometimes to agitate the surface of the water.

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
April 1st this year, power went out for 8 hours and I was woefully unprepared. For the first two hours, I just waited as it's usually not out for that long. Nope, didn't come back so I hooked up a computer APC I have and ran one MP40 for the next couple of hours then it quit. 4 more hours with nothing.

I went and bought a generator, set it all up, fired it up, and then the power came back on lol.

I have a 100% FULL Acropora SPS tank. If these didn't die, yours certainly won't.

Hey if it comes down to it, get you a large wooden/plastic spoon/spatula and stir away sometimes to agitate the surface of the water.
Yeah I ran my generator that night. After I waited a long time expecting power to come back. It was about midnight I turned it on and power came back around 6:30 am.
I’m from Nashville area. I actually had a generator that I got back in 2020 after those spring tornadoes. (Mainly for Reef ) Only put 12 hours on it.

After power came back on I decided to sell the Huge generator & now hoping it will not happen again soon. It’s been taking up space in my garage for 2 years. Thought I made a solid decision but now feel vulnerable…:frowning-face: Way too big for just my aquariums.
FF275A29-86AA-493F-BADA-436EF778B5D5.jpeg

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I ran my generator that night. After I waited a long time expecting power to come back. It was about midnight I turned it on and power came back around 6:30 am.
I’m from Nashville area. I actually had a generator that I got back in 2020 after those spring tornadoes. (Mainly for Reef ) Only put 12 hours on it.

After power came back on I decided to sell the Huge generator & now hoping it will not happen again soon. It’s been taking up space in my garage for 2 years. Thought I made a solid decision but now feel vulnerable…:frowning-face: Way too big for just my aquariums.View attachment 3109915

Yep, I had a similar one years ago and stored it at my dad's after one use. As far as I know it's still there lol. I bought a Harbor Freight 2000 watt and it's very portable. You can get them off Amazon for about $350.00, a small generator that is. The Harbor Freight runs about $700 after tax.

Yes, I'm in Johnson City, TN, way on the other side of the State. It was a clear sunny day, the winds were STRONG here.

Nutramar Foods

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After power came back on I decided to sell the Huge generator & now hoping it will not happen again soon. It’s been taking up space in my garage for 2 years. Thought I made a solid decision but now feel vulnerable…:frowning-face: Way too big for just my aquariums.

I though a generator was to keep the TV on and the Beer cold.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not going to be around tomorrow while it is off is the main issue with the power outage. From the sounds of it I should be fine.
Should be good… Got pics of the tank? You could always just get a bucket and fill it and dump it back in the tank to aerate/move water. If you’re sitting around and feel like/have time to do a little reassuring husbandry , might as well… Hopefully temps are around room temp where you live tomorrow….
This is an older one but newest I have

Attachments

• 416242F4-795C-44AD-9083-A427423026EF.jpeg
    416242F4-795C-44AD-9083-A427423026EF.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 13
Top Shelf Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not going to be around tomorrow while it is off is the main issue with the power outage. From the sounds of it I should be fine.

This is an older one but newest I have
Nice tank! You'll be just fine, don't sweat it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey everyone,

Think about fish and livestock being shipped for up to 30 hours. Tank will do fine.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After power came back on I decided to sell the Huge generator & now hoping it will not happen again soon. It’s been taking up space in my garage for 2 years. Thought I made a solid decision but now feel vulnerable…:frowning-face: Way too big for just my aquariums.View attachment 3109915
never to big

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back