Phosphates over 10 ppm

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the reason is 100% in the rock because I have crushed coral as my substrate, I do water changes rather to control nitrates level, and yet still phosphates. So about them, I think that with the growth of corals and algae as the tank matures, they should go away because after all, it cannot be that there's an infinite amount of it in my rock
I would not expect them to drop significantly from coral uptake. You can get it out of the rock by removing it from the water repeatedly. Every time you remove some from the water, more leaches out of the rock into the water for you to remove. Repeat this cycle enough times and the level in the tank will eventually decrease and stabilize at a lower value. GFO works well for this. It may take several weeks to reach your goal, but it is working even if you don’t notice a huge impact right away. Just have to be patient and continue pulling the phosphate out of the water.

OP
OP
M

M2lab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not expect them to drop significantly from coral uptake. You can get it out of the rock by removing it from the water repeatedly. Every time you remove some from the water, more leaches out of the rock into the water for you to remove. Repeat this cycle enough times and the level in the tank will eventually decrease and stabilize at a lower value. GFO works well for this. It may take several weeks to reach your goal, but it is working even if you don’t notice a huge impact right away. Just have to be patient and continue pulling the phosphate out of the water.
Also I forgot to say that my rock stank really bad when I bought it, so the tank itself had the same smell for about a week after I put the rock in it. I thought it only affects nitrates, I guess I was wrong?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I forgot to say that my rock stank really bad when I bought it, so the tank itself had the same smell for about a week after I put the rock in it. I thought it only affects nitrates, I guess I was wrong?
Phosphate binds to rock and is contained in decaying matter the same as nitrate

OP
OP
M

M2lab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate binds to rock and is contained in decaying matter the same as nitrate
Okay, but why don't I have any visible algae? Actually now, four days later, I noticed that my zoa is losing color a little, I think that's due to super high phosphates, because I have more than enough light

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, but why don't I have any visible algae? Actually now, four days later, I noticed that my zoa is losing color a little, I think that's due to super high phosphates, because I have more than enough light
I think its just a matter of time for the algae. Yes, high phosphates often lead to browning out.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back