Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After getting everything set up and running, I began dosing AquaVitro Seed to help the already established biological filter. One of the really important goals I have for this tank is to prevent the introduction of common pests like aiptasia, mojanos, bubble algae, etc. The rock really looked pretty good, but still had some small bubble algae and I noticed a few aipasia as well.

After a couple of weeks, I dropped in five emerald crabs to go to work on the rocks and nuked the aiptasia with pickling lime. It was really nice working with a fairly empty reef structure.

Here's a couple of shots after burying the glass anemones in kalk paste...

Aquarium-48.jpg

Aquarium-49.jpg

Aquarium-50.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I moved established live rock over to start this tank, I wondered what I would see in terms of a nitrogen cycle - if any at all. I hoped it would be minimal because I didn't have a suitable aquarium for some of the encrusted coral and other inhabitants. I was fortunate that the system never measured any ammonia or nitrite.

A beautiful cowrie made the move along with the rock
Aquarium-88.jpg

A nice colony of sunset montipora adjusted to the new lights and aquarium quickly
Aquarium-43.jpg

A small frag of A. yongei or Green Slimer looked pretty stressed for the first couple of weeks, but opened up and has started growing
Aquarium-62.jpg

This beautiful millepora was encrusted on two places of the rock. It wasn't happy at first, but has really started to sweeten up in the past month
Aquarium-69.jpg

Montipora undata had also encrusted on the rock. This colony is growing quickly!
Aquarium-70.jpg

I moved over this small colony of LA Lakers turbinaria - it's in fairly high light and has started to regain color nicely.
Aquarium-73.jpg

This colony of acanthastrea has moved into many different tanks and is very hardy with each move. Not sure of the species, but really like it
Aquarium-79.jpg

A small patch of Sunny D paly's made the move just fine!
Aquarium-92.jpg

This Tyree Sand Dollar porites wasn't phased at all with the new tank and lights
Aquarium-93.jpg

Here's a more recent full tank shot of the system. I'll post some more updates soon with the fish that have made their way in, along with more corals. Let me know your thoughts on the tank progress and any suggestions you have for stocking it up!

Aquarium-109.jpg

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the overflow working out

Thanks @ReefguyEric - the ghost overflow box is working great after the mods I did. I haven't ever had a tank that runs so quietly! I'd estimate that the turnover rate is around 1200-1400GPH and yet nearly silent. Very pleased with it!

OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always been a huge fan of your builds ozark. Youve done a masterful job so far...I look forward to seeing this tank mature.

Thanks @Rehype - good to hear from you! Seems like I first saw posts from you on Nanoreef, didn't I? This has definitely been one of the most involved I've ever undertaken. Really pleased with the progress so far and it's finally getting to the need of the startup phase.

I saw you're starting a new build - a drop off peninsula! I've always wanted to try setting one of those up. Will definitely subscribe to your thread!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Rehype

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Rehype - good to hear from you! Seems like I first saw posts from you on Nanoreef, didn't I? This has definitely been one of the most involved I've ever undertaken. Really pleased with the progress so far and it's finally getting to the need of the startup phase.

I saw you're starting a new build - a drop off peninsula! I've always wanted to try setting one of those up. Will definitely subscribe to your thread!

That's correct its been a while but really glad to see your still in the hobby making beautiful tanks.

Really appreciate you following along.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Since I moved established live rock over to start this tank, I wondered what I would see in terms of a nitrogen cycle - if any at all. I hoped it would be minimal because I didn't have a suitable aquarium for some of the encrusted coral and other inhabitants. I was fortunate that the system never measured any ammonia or nitrite.

A beautiful cowrie made the move along with the rock
Aquarium-88.jpg

A nice colony of sunset montipora adjusted to the new lights and aquarium quickly
Aquarium-43.jpg

A small frag of A. yongei or Green Slimer looked pretty stressed for the first couple of weeks, but opened up and has started growing
Aquarium-62.jpg

This beautiful millepora was encrusted on two places of the rock. It wasn't happy at first, but has really started to sweeten up in the past month
Aquarium-69.jpg

Montipora undata had also encrusted on the rock. This colony is growing quickly!
Aquarium-70.jpg

I moved over this small colony of LA Lakers turbinaria - it's in fairly high light and has started to regain color nicely.
Aquarium-73.jpg

This colony of acanthastrea has moved into many different tanks and is very hardy with each move. Not sure of the species, but really like it
Aquarium-79.jpg

A small patch of Sunny D paly's made the move just fine!
Aquarium-92.jpg

This Tyree Sand Dollar porites wasn't phased at all with the new tank and lights
Aquarium-93.jpg

Here's a more recent full tank shot of the system. I'll post some more updates soon with the fish that have made their way in, along with more corals. Let me know your thoughts on the tank progress and any suggestions you have for stocking it up!

Aquarium-109.jpg

Beautiful my friend!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking system

Thanks @chefjpaul - it's still really new but off to a good start. I've set up a lot of new systems over the years and am pleased that his one has hit the "sweet spot" more quickly than normal. Still have some minor diatoms in the sand but most other signs of a new system have passed.

Beautiful photos and captions. The corals seem to be loving your new setup.

Appreciate the feedback @ludnix. I really enjoy journaling the tank progress with photos. It's always fun to look back at progress ever few months. The corals are really starting to respond favorably to the conditions, but I lost a few in the first few in the transition from my old tank.

OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank, glad to see you still in the hobby since moving from the shop. Hated to see you go, you ran a beautiful place.

Thanks @Big B - I miss things there at times, but it's good getting to focus on a single tank again! I'm hoping to do something again when I get closer to retirement!

OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's correct its been a while but really glad to see your still in the hobby making beautiful tanks.

Really appreciate you following along.

While the hobby has its trials, I couldn't imagine life without a tank [emoji41]! Looking forward to seeing both of our systems mature over the next year!

Beautiful my friend!

Thanks @revhtree! It's still amazing how beautiful even the smallest of frags can be. I was glad to bring some of the established coral that had encrusted on the rock from my previous tank. Even more glad that most of it did well through the move!

AS
OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks @TonapahNorth - it's actually been fun putting these updates together. It's been a few weeks since my last update so need to remedy that soon!

Beautiful setup! The PA 130 is almost for sure going to be my next tank. If you don't mind me asking, what's your photography setup? Your pics are great!

Thanks @MbunaJohn - I really like this rimless aquarium and don't think you could go wrong with a PA aquarium. On the photography side, I'm using an Olympus OM-D EM-1 Mark 1 (whew!) mirrorless camera system. I really like the small size - even the lenses are tiny! Most of the shooting up to now has bene with their little 45mm 1.8 lens. I just got the 60mm full-size macro lens and will be posting some shots from it later this evening.

Very nice, ... I still run razors over my cube end (50G), refugium of the sump of the big tank (180 G minus displacement) and my 13 g little cube. :)

Thanks @najer - MaxSpect makes a decent fixture. The spectrum is full and I'm not seeing signs of any "disco" effect with these lights. The key of course, is coral response and so far it has been great!

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back