+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful set up! Following along

Thanks Nicolas - glad to have you along! I have really high hopes for this tank and so far things have been off to a good start.

Missouri reefer! Nice tank!

Hey Flippers4pups - saw you're from the St. Louis area. It's good to have a fellow Missourian tagging along.

Nice setup

Good looking setup!

Thanks renato120 and HowardJ02 - hope you'll visit again for more on what's inside the reef!

Beautiful tank and plumbing! I setup a Beananimal overflow as well and have been very happy with how quiet it is after years of various durso designs on previous tanks.

Thanks ludnix- I'm a big fan of this overflow design. It's super quiet and easy to maintain. Siphon starts right back up after return pump power cycle. Plus I'm getting a fairly large part of the surface area skimmed.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dave! It's lucky! Nice!! I just upgraded to a 120 deep dimensions! Wish I could go bigger! Haha

Lucky - great to hear from you! It's been fun setting up a new system and starting pretty much from scratch with livestock. I've got things pretty full with frags now (spoiler alert) and am enjoying seeing them color up and begin to grow. Hope to see you sometime soon - say hi to Mikey for me!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking great! Excited to see where this goes!

OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful aquarium and scape , loving the Sump ... [emoji12][emoji12]following build

Thanks @Clayton Jessup - glad to have you along! I love new reef setups and feel like this one has a good foundation to build on.

Looking great! Excited to see where this goes!

Thanks @mdbannister! The system is three months old now, so still very young. I've always noticed a signficant change in overall coral response around the six month mark. I'm looking forward to what I hope will lots of growth and color!

Looks amazing love the ato following

Thanks @30cubereef - thanks for following the thread. Hope you enjoy the updates!

OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting on this system is provided by three MaxSpect Ethereal LED fixtures with a single ICV6 controller. I first read about these fixtures back in 2014 when ReefBuilders did a product announcement on them. They really took their time getting them to market and by summer of this year, people were beginning to receive them here in the US.

It's not my first time using MaxSpect LED lighting. The MaxSpect Razor is a pretty good LED fixture in it's own right. I had a single fixture over a shallow rimless Miracles aquarium around 5 years ago and was impressed with the results from the light. In the case of the Ethereal fixtures, I'm a fan of their really thin profile, the included mounting solution, and the controllability using the ICV6.

Overall, I'm happy with the lighting - both in appearance to my eye and in coral response. I've had some controller connectivity problems and hope they'll figure out a solution in a firmware upgrade soon.

Aquarium-50.jpg

Aquarium-49.jpg

Ozarksreef-3.jpg

When installing the lights, I had to cut the weir on the overflow system to fit around the mounting brackets. It worked out pretty nicely except the center light is slightly lower than the two end lights. Since the rock formations are directly below the end lights, it's probably for the best anyway.

Ozarksreef-25.jpg

OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet Aquariums is a really solid company. They have a great product and top-notch craftsmanship. They may not be at the top of the list of tank manufacturers, but when you compare quality and price, they're pretty tough to beat.

Here's a closeup of the corner glass work:

Aquarium-74.jpg

And closer still...

Aquarium-75.jpg

OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered all of my equipment pretty much the same week and things arrived in large batches. Everything shipped great with no damage - except for my first set of Neptune DOS Dual Reservoir. I was excited to add these 2-liter reservoirs to the system. They have an optical sensor to tell when the level is low (around 15% remaining) and can be programmed to alert you when they reach a given level.

The first DDR arrived with a detached optical sensor on one side. I could have glued it on with a little bit of Weld-on, but was afraid it wouldn't look good. A quick call and a new one was on the way. As I mentioned earlier, I still haven't brought my dosing system on live yet. It's plumbed and ready to go - I'm thinking about calibrating with RODI water and dosing with it for a month or so to make sure everything works as expected.

Aquarium-34.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
COOL LOOKING

Thanks @FMF0331 - hope you'll subscribe and stay tuned for updates!

How do the optical sensors connect to the apex?

The DDR (DOS Dual Reservoir) connects directly to the DOS Fluid and Metering System (dosing pump) using a six-pin connection. The pump connects to the Apex using the aquabus connection.

OP
OP
OzarksReef

OzarksReef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thank you! I have a Dos And some after market 3 wire optical sensors kicking around. Sounds like I may may be rig it up if I can figure out the pins.' :)

Good luck with this - the option of monitoring fluid levels is a useful feature. Would be great if you have some success implementing this using other reservoirs!

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back