Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am coming up with a stock list for my 150 gallon and I would love to have a butterflyfish. I would either go with a pyramid butterfly or a longnose butterfly, leaning towards longnose, but they’re very similar to copperbands in a lot of ways, and I’m not really interested in one of those because they’re almost an expert level fish. Are longnose butterflies as fragile as copperbands?

Nutramar Foods

Kiwi reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although they’re very similar to copperbands personally found that they are a lot less picky with food
I wouldn’t class them as expert level but I’d still make sure they have the odd clam to pick at in the tank

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am coming up with a stock list for my 150 gallon and I would love to have a butterflyfish. I would either go with a pyramid butterfly or a longnose butterfly, leaning towards longnose, but they’re very similar to copperbands in a lot of ways, and I’m not really interested in one of those because they’re almost an expert level fish. Are longnose butterflies as fragile as copperbands?
Actually, Long nose butterflies are in my eyes the easiest butterflyfish to keep. Actually, if you get the right specimen then CBBs aren’t fragile fish and can be the most aggressive fish in your tank. Mine is worse than my tang. These are probably worse in terms of reef safe than CBBs are but are worth it. Scolymia, trachyphilia, micromussa and acanthastrea tend to be on the menu. If you want an unusual colour then may I also add the zoster butterflyfish. They have black with a white pyramid and can be kept along side the classic pyramid butterflies. If you want more yellow and don’t care about coral safety then I would go With a long nose but if you don’t want so much yellow and want pattern then I recommend Pyramids but if you want an unusual colour then the zosters. The other thing with “Yellow long nose” butterflyfish is that name can get put as the common name for two or three of the Forcipiger butterflies. The two most common are F. flavissimus and F. longirostris. I find F. longirostris gets the longer nose than F. flavissimus.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pyramid, long nose and cbb. Theyre all in different tanks. The long nose is definitely the most hardy and eats anything i put in the tank even nori. I lost a few pyramid butterflies in qt, i found out too late that theyre really susceptible to flukes and i only have 1 left from my initial school. So make sure you qt them. Cbbs are just tough to get eating but after that theyre usually fine.

But all 3 are more delicate than most tangs and other hardy fish. A good qt is recommended for all of them.

ccole

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a copperband butterfly and he’s currently my favorite fish because he’s so friendly. He ate LRS at the LFS right off the bat. He still eats LRS preferentially, but will eat mysis or even nori if he’s hungry enough. He’s gained a lot of weight with twice daily feedings and is actually one of the more aggressive fish in the tank.

He doesn’t bother hammers, frogspawn, torches, SPS, duncans, trumpet coral, zoas, or gonis/alvies. I haven’t risked acans, brains, or scolis.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Elliott ll

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longnose Butterfly all the way... I currently have a pair and they're my favorite fish, next to my Moorish Idol of course. So beautiful.

Stock list for 90 gal + 30 gal sump:

Blue Tang
Purple Tang
Foxface
Flame Angel Trio
Harlequin Tusk
Longnose Butteryfly Pair
Moorish Idol
Cleaner Wrasse
Flame Hawk
Mexican Blue Spotted Jawfish
Blue Throat Trigger
Humu Trigger
Clown Pair
Redheaded Solon Wrasse

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Are longnose butterflies as fragile as copperbands?
They are about the same. I keep both and don't really see any problems. I have been keeping those butterflies since the 70s. Love them both.

FAHADREEF

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience i've always wanted a copperband butterfly and failed with it, they are just so hard to keep due to them not eating and will make you so stressed trying to get them to eat, but longnose are way easier and don't require much effort same with the pyramid

World Wide Corals

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are people keeping long nose butterflies with CBBs? I always thought that CBBs were overly aggressive compared to the “Peaceful” temperament they get given (Atleast all mine have been).

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are people keeping long nose butterflies with CBBs? I always thought that CBBs were overly aggressive compared to the “Peaceful” temperament they get given (Atleast all mine have been).
Mine have always gotten along much better than two copperbands alone. They fight for a few minutes, then always become best friends and hang out together.

Sleepingtiger

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to find a CBB that ate like a pig in quarantine. Ate everything... clam, mysis, brine. After two weeks, I added him to my display. It was like I hit a reset button. The CBB forgot how to eat. Refused to eat anything. I was for sure he would devastate my large feather dusters. Never touched them. Absolutely frustrating. After 4 days, i was about to tear down the tank to catch the fish and put him back into quarantine. Then he suddenly started to eat again. Loves brine shrimp. Not a very graceful fish trying eat food in the water column. I am so happy.

Still trying to find a long nose butterfly and pyramid butterfly that would eat.

Elliott ll

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to find a CBB that ate like a pig in quarantine. Ate everything... clam, mysis, brine. After two weeks, I added him to my display. It was like I hit a reset button. The CBB forgot how to eat. Refused to eat anything. I was for sure he would devastate my large feather dusters. Never touched them. Absolutely frustrating. After 4 days, i was about to tear down the tank to catch the fish and put him back into quarantine. Then he suddenly started to eat again. Loves brine shrimp. Not a very graceful fish trying eat food in the water column. I am so happy.

Still trying to find a long nose butterfly and pyramid butterfly that would eat.
4 days isn't long enough IMO. Get him fat and try for again. Offer some black mussels or little neck clams from a seafood counter.

Elliott ll

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Longnose Butterflies, 1 large and 1 small, a 7 inch Margined Coralfish, and a CBB all in the same tank with 3 tangs and a Moorish Idol. Its not hard. They're peaceful fish and will get a pecking order established.

Sleepingtiger

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days isn't long enough IMO. Get him fat and try for again. Offer some black mussels or little neck clams from a seafood counter.
You misunderstand. He was in quarantine for 2 weeks. Ate like nuts. After being transferred to display, he went on a hunger strike for 4 days.

CLICK TO VIEW

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Longnose Butterflies, 1 large and 1 small, a 7 inch Margined Coralfish, and a CBB all in the same tank with 3 tangs and a Moorish Idol. Its not hard. They're peaceful fish and will get a pecking order established.
How big is the marginalis? Also how do they get along with the CBB?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be my tank however my CBB (2 years established, same with the tang and foxface) is the most aggressive fish in the tank. And I have Jade and Melanomarginatus wrasses that are bad for aggression. Doubt it add a yellow anyway because of the L. longirostris being the only one I really liked and now being impossible to get over here. Also my tank is only 4’x2’x2’ and even in a 5-6’ tank it’s hard to mix CBBs with other butterflies (Past experiences on doing this were bad).

Nutramar Foods

Elliott ll

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the marginalis? Also how do they get along with the CBB?
He's like 7 inch approximately now. The CBB thinks its his partner or mom. They get along great. Margin Coralfish are more aggressive I would say and will become a boss of the tank. They have a lot of personality for a fish. Mine loves to smash clams on rocks.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read. I had 2 copperbands in qt for 3 months, growing them out, in a 90 gal. They got along fine actually swam around together most of the time. A week befor I was planning to transfer them to the display a heater went haywire and Cooked that tank. Lost both cbb, 2 gem tang, a linittus wrasse, and a few other fairy wrasse

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back