Next Wrasse

DrunkenKraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through my fallow period and all survivors have been fully treated after an outbreak of what I think was Brook. A juvenile Desjardini, adult Magnificent Foxface, Dusky Margined that is starting transition, an Earmuff and an adult Longnose Hawkfish survived and have been reintroduced. I just added a pair of Pyramid Butterflies and a Sleeper Banded Goby and want to add a few wrasse next. They'll be quarantined obviously and introduced via acclimation boxes. Given the two established wrasse who would be on your short list to consider? Currently considering Pink/Red Margin Fairy and a Yellow & Purple or Canary. Not committed to either. Just looking for friendly, reef safe or with caution and likely to get along with established fish.

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasse are a pretty good bet but with a tang it may be difficult. See the chart below if you want multiple fairy wrasse
IMG_5015.png

OP
OP
DrunkenKraken

DrunkenKraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasse are a pretty good bet but with a tang it may be difficult. See the chart below if you want multiple fairy wrasse
IMG_5015.png
Yep, working Fairies into another 115 gal and using this chart extensively. With the Desjardini and the other two Halichoeres obviously worried ANY fairy (including the Pink Margin) may not fair well. On the other end of the spectrum I obviously can't add a Harlequin Tusk either (although I'd love another one). Leopards are going to be even harder than normal and are likely off the list as well. Thinking another 2 or 3 Halichoeres maybe, just trying to figure out which would work best.

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, working Fairies into another 115 gal and using this chart extensively. With the Desjardini and the other two Halichoeres obviously worried ANY fairy (including the Pink Margin) may not fair well. On the other end of the spectrum I obviously can't add a Harlequin Tusk either (although I'd love another one). Leopards are going to be even harder than normal and are likely off the list as well. Thinking another 2 or 3 Halichoeres maybe, just trying to figure out which would work best.
A fairy or group of fairies are unlikely to have issues with the Halichoeres wrasse. However the yellow is a shyer Halichoeres and may well be bullied by your other two

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize all tangs have different personalities but my purple tang has not even looked twice at any smaller fish than it. And I'm talking wrasse, royal Gramma blennies, Etc. I have not tried another tang though.

Do you have different experiences @Slocke?

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize all tangs have different personalities but my purple tang has not even looked twice at any smaller fish than it. And I'm talking wrasse, royal Gramma blennies, Etc. I have not tried another tang though.

It’s more that it’s a sailfin. Bristle tooth and the smaller zebrasoma are less likely to be aggressive

OP
OP
DrunkenKraken

DrunkenKraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My juvenile Desjardini completely ignores the new 4" Sleeper Banded Goby, but was NOT a fan of the Pyramids (even after a few days in acclimation boxes). He's settled down, but agree that as long as it isn't another laterally compressed fish he'll be fine. The 2 other wrasse and the the Longnose Hawk may be a different story though.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the tang will look twice at any wrasse or other small fish

OP
OP
DrunkenKraken

DrunkenKraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fairy or group of fairies are unlikely to have issues with the Halichoeres wrasse. However the yellow is a shyer Halichoeres and may well be bullied by your other two
What do you think of a Mystery Wrasse in this set-up? I've had one before with other wrasse and he was a perfect gentleman, but I know they have a bad reputation. He'd never be larger than the Dusky so I think he could keep him on check and should be different enough from the Dusky and Earmuff not to raise their ire early. Thoughts?

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of a Mystery Wrasse in this set-up? I've had one before with other wrasse and he was a perfect gentleman, but I know they have a bad reputation. He'd never be larger than the Dusky so I think he could keep him on check and should be different enough from the Dusky and Earmuff not to raise their ire early. Thoughts?
Mystery are closely related to fairies and do have the reputation of lined wrasse. It seems 50/50 on being peaceful or absolute terrors

OP
OP
DrunkenKraken

DrunkenKraken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery are closely related to fairies and do have the reputation of lined wrasse. It seems 50/50 on being peaceful or absolute terrors
Yeah, probably too risky. Think I'll just forego any more wrasse and save the bioload for fish I'd rather have. The Fairies always reminded me of slightly prettier freshwater bass for some reason so I'm not a big fan. Those that I actually like are either ridiculously expensive and/or overly aggressive to other Fairies. Thanks for chatting through it with me, think I've talked myself into just sticking with the Dusky and Earmuff at this point.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back