Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I think ill give this a try. Have been wanting to implement kalkwasser for a while. And now my alk is down to 6.7 with increasing AFR dose and 10 ml of two part a day. Tank would benefit from some frequent intermittent kalkwasser drip.

Tyler,
Please report back, I am certain that you will like the coral response!
I was trying as hard as I could when kalkwasser was the new "it" thing to resist myself. I have been adapting to kalkwasser for several months on the 90 gallon prior to break down/transfer. I began controlling with my doser, slowly moving to evaporation matching. This became more accurate over the course of time, slowly adding until my ato began using less and less. I dose mostly at night, but still during the day as well, less frequent. While the ph meter has shown 7.8-8.1 before, and 8.0-8.3 after, I still base success on growth and color, they too are reaching new heights. Even stubborn, and I mean dormant/stubborn corals are waking up. Really strange, but tenuis ate all going crazy, like they ALL decided to begin branching, but literally at the same time. When smoothies are growing, and the JD appears happy, it means things are cooking...
Give it a go ;)

AS
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! I just got into acros myself after I got my system stable. How do you like the IM tank?

Thank you very much!!!
Welcome to the journal :)
I love the tank, the stand makes me nervous, as the tank is a beast, the stand, while solid aluminum, still seems slightly weak at the base, but it is probably just me being paranoid, lol...
I am amazed at the quality and durability of the actual tank. Thicker bottom glass, eurobraced, and built super solid, but clean. I have no problem cleaning and brushing the glass, no more spilling water...ahhh...

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to do some research on possibly doing kalk myself. I'm presently using BRS 2-part.

It's really crazy that kalkwasser isn't a staple, regardless of how folks decide to run their tanks. You can simply figure out your daily evaporation then use kalkwasser. I personally would dose evenly, like on a doser, or similar to how I have it setup. I personally do not feel comfortable using on ato. It can easily be automated, just whatever your comfortable with.
Thanks for following along brother!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really crazy that kalkwasser isn't a staple, regardless of how folks decide to run their tanks. You can simply figure out your daily evaporation then use kalkwasser. I personally would dose evenly, like on a doser, or similar to how I have it setup. I personally do not feel comfortable using on ato. It can easily be automated, just whatever your comfortable with.
Thanks for following along brother!
I’ve always topped off with kalk and that’s it.. just started all for reef with the kalk and seeing huge improvements… I’m curious how this plays out.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always topped off with kalk and that’s it.. just started all for reef with the kalk and seeing huge improvements… I’m curious how this plays out.

Hey brother,
Yeah, I personally don't feel comfortable putting in top off, it works, but that day a spawning happens, the skimmer goes nuts, and I am at work... The scenario, while unlikely, is a scenario that could wipe me out.
I actually use a BRS 50ml doser for my ato, slow steady delivery, but again, could still mess things up. I guess certain monitors have failsafes, but I don't use computers or wifi for anything on my system. Old school, lol...
I think it boils down to your evaporation, in choosing a pump. I use the Milwaukee MP810, because of the old school timer, having 15 minute increments, equals 375ml per each internal. I use fans in FL, so it encourages more evaporation and reef stays under 79 degrees. So, I have 18 intervals, or 1.6 gallons of water/kalkwasser solution to use over 24 hours. 12 intervals, or 1 per hour, for 12 hours starting at 8pm-8am following morning. Then, every other hour or 6 more intervals every other hour thereafter. For mid size or large reefs, this is very easy to set up. For nano, I would use a doser, 2000ml per day on most, like BM, for example, which is about .5 gallon per day, most have 3 channels, so 1 for alk, 2 for ca, 3 for kalkwasser, at least up to .5 gallon max evaporation per day, again, great for a nano.
So...
It really boils down to tank size, evaporation, choosing a pump, and implementing a strategy with alk testing consistently at 24 hours daily, while dialing in. Safest way, imo :)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey brother,
Yeah, I personally don't feel comfortable putting in top off, it works, but that day a spawning happens, the skimmer goes nuts, and I am at work... The scenario, while unlikely, is a scenario that could wipe me out.
I actually use a BRS 50ml doser for my ato, slow steady delivery, but again, could still mess things up. I guess certain monitors have failsafes, but I don't use computers or wifi for anything on my system. Old school, lol...
I think it boils down to your evaporation, in choosing a pump. I use the Milwaukee MP810, because of the old school timer, having 15 minute increments, equals 375ml per each internal. I use fans in FL, so it encourages more evaporation and reef stays under 79 degrees. So, I have 18 intervals, or 1.6 gallons of water/kalkwasser solution to use over 24 hours. 12 intervals, or 1 per hour, for 12 hours starting at 8pm-8am following morning. Then, every other hour or 6 more intervals every other hour thereafter. For mid size or large reefs, this is very easy to set up. For nano, I would use a doser, 2000ml per day on most, like BM, for example, which is about .5 gallon per day, most have 3 channels, so 1 for alk, 2 for ca, 3 for kalkwasser, at least up to .5 gallon max evaporation per day, again, great for a nano.
So...
It really boils down to tank size, evaporation, choosing a pump, and implementing a strategy with alk testing consistently at 24 hours daily, while dialing in. Safest way, imo :)
Yeah I hear ya! My tank is all old skool it’s self! I did finally get a apex through a trade and I only use it for temp and ph lol… I will be getting a trident through a trade tomorrow so I might start dosing but idk.. my tank currently goes through 4-5 gallons a day of evap since it’s a large system and I run halides. So far so good and no issues… all for reef I’ve been dosing by hand and just using the top off with kalk, more so to save money on the all for reef.. the first month of my new tank was strictly kalk thou and no issues and I’ve seen great growth.

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I hear ya! My tank is all old skool it’s self! I did finally get a apex through a trade and I only use it for temp and ph lol… I will be getting a trident through a trade tomorrow so I might start dosing but idk.. my tank currently goes through 4-5 gallons a day of evap since it’s a large system and I run halides. So far so good and no issues… all for reef I’ve been dosing by hand and just using the top off with kalk, more so to save money on the all for reef.. the first month of my new tank was strictly kalk thou and no issues and I’ve seen great growth.

Awesome!
Like stated, I was ignoring the kalkwasser craze, but decided to give it a go :) I used it back in 2005, but then 2 part ever since. I never really gave it a chance, unfortunately...
For sps, I will now find a way to use from here on out.
Even the most stubborn pieces are showing signs of getting going, pleasantly surprised :)

AS

Husker_Reefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry, commented on your IG the other day. Figured I’d chime in here as well. +1 on the kalk dosing. Ever since I started kalk all my sps are responding very well :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
One question on your t5 lighting… as I have been contemplating switching from LED. What fixture are you using? Seems like they are almost non existent to buy an all in one T5 fixture online these days. Other than the Aquatic Life hybrid which only has 4 bulbs.
Enjoy your content. You have an awesome collection!

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry, commented on your IG the other day. Figured I’d chime in here as well. +1 on the kalk dosing. Ever since I started kalk all my sps are responding very well :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
One question on your t5 lighting… as I have been contemplating switching from LED. What fixture are you using? Seems like they are almost non existent to buy an all in one T5 fixture online these days. Other than the Aquatic Life hybrid which only has 4 bulbs.
Enjoy your content. You have an awesome collection!

Hey there!!!
Thank you very much, I appreciate the input and follow-up along too! You are too kind :)
ATI Fixtures are still readily available, and you can put LED bars from SBREEF, Orphek, and Reefbrite, just to name a few. For a 24" wide tank, 8 bulbs/2 bats, call it a day :)
Mine is ATI 6 bulb unit at 36" long. 39 watts per bulb. It sits between a hybrid t5 unit with 2 bulbs either side, total of 10xt5
Google ATI and several online vendors should pop up.
Cheers!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see man . Wow . That tank is looking like heaven brother. Nice to see that you bit into the t5/led hybrid club lol.

Thanks brother!
Been on that t5 thing for a minute, but yeah, this tank is lit...
Got a killer smoothie pack coming in today, more to come man ;)

Top Shelf Aquatics

branbray07

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother!
Been on that t5 thing for a minute, but yeah, this tank is lit...
Got a killer smoothie pack coming in today, more to come man ;)
Hell yea cant waito to see those bad boys. Im looking to place an order soon, hoping memorial day and fathers days bring decent sales. Tank is cruising for me. Are you still using Reef Salt?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell yea cant waito to see those bad boys. Im looking to place an order soon, hoping memorial day and fathers days bring decent sales. Tank is cruising for me. Are you still using Reef Salt?

Yes,
AF Reef Salt.
Glad to hear things are well brother!

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Perry

Perry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey perry

whats the reason for ou to use AF Reef Salt?

The salt mixes exactly where I keep my parameters #1. #2, it mixes clean, and quickly, no residue. #3, it's affordable. #4, it is ICP tested and small batch verified. Finally, it's fortified with trace and big 3 to NSW.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back