Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im starting a 130 gallons. And i want to know whats the best way to do it ? Fully live rock or a mix of dry and live ? Im buying from KP aquatics. Money is not an issue but at the same time i dont want rocks stacked together.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im starting a 130 gallons. And i want to know whats the best way to do it ? Fully live rock or a mix of dry and live ? Im buying from KP aquatics. Money is not an issue but at the same time i dont want rocks stacked together.
There are many approaches, and each has the benefits and drawbacks. Personally, I will never start another tank with dry rock again. If money is not an object, I suggest you go all ocean live rock. There are many tools at your disposal for aquascaping. Hammer and chisel, acrylic dowels, and two part epoxy to name a few. All of which can be used on / with wet live rock to achieve your desired result without having the "wall of rock" look. Best of luck, and happy reefing!

Nutramar Foods

billyocean

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did dry rock and seeded with a little LR. If money isn't an issue I would say all LR and add some dry pieces as you go if you want to add. If I ever start a new tank and have to get rock..LR it is. My dry rock is fine now but it's been a 2 year journey and feel I would be further along even still with LR

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing about 50/50 on my newest build. I always said (and stand by) that I'd do 100% live rock because I love it so much for the diversity. Hitchhikers don't scare me but are a large consideration for some.

With my newest tank, it's going near the main living area, and I've managed to get the whole family on board and helping. The teen is in charge of the aquascape and wants more arches and interesting ways to create caves and features. I find more freedom for that in dry rock, which I don't mind breaking up and manipulating.

arrow crab

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The deep dark question of live vs dry rock has plagued me greatly. But finally I think I'm going down the all dry rock path. I read this and am sold on giving it a try.

Then after two months when the lights come on, I plan to stuff my tank with different macroalgaes, and dose nitrates and phosphates as needed. That's my plan for cheating the uglies. Then gradually roll over from algae to corals.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to do it over, Id do all live rock from the ocean, all the way. That chunk of change will pay for itself over time, trust me. And youll get critters and other forms of life you cant find any other way.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about seeding the dry rock with live. The cost of shipping live rock these days is stupid expensive, lol. If I was starting a tank today without local live rock access, I'd order 10 pounds from someone KP, TBS or the fancy Aussie stuff and seed the dry with it.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Rock and base Live Rock is the way to go. IMO

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my pockets were deep, all live rock.
If they were really really deep I'd have ocean front property.

Try this, works great but don't forget hidey places for the fish.

And yes, it works for wet rocks too. Just keep them wet as you build.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
TCK Corals
Back