Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock 1000% you will get hitchhikers no matter what and the hitchhikers on live rock are generally not so Bad after all. I even made a post about people's experiences with live rock hitchhikers. If you want the real deal get real ocean live rock!

Top Shelf Aquatics

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love live rock!. But my question is how do you scape with live rock? I dont mind tbe cost. Just how do you do it
If you start the tank with live base rock, you can do SOME aquascaping. I would use the 2-part epoxy putty and superglue method used to bond corals onto rock. You are probably not going to be able to build big old NSA type aquascapes, but you can get caves and some height if you try. Personally, I think the rock is just a spot for placing corals, so really intricate aquascapes just aren't my thing anymore.

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Rock is the way to go. The look of dry rock is very bland to me, even when I see 2 year old dry rock in tank pics. LR makes tanks look like you bought a piece of the ocean and brought it home. DR looks like you went to PetCo and bought a bridge and castle decor with a snorkeler that had bubbles coming out of its helmet.

Corals.com

bradreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love live rock!. But my question is how do you scape with live rock? I dont mind tbe cost. Just how do you do it
This is a big reason why i like a small portion of live along with the dry. You get the best of both worlds. Its not a big ugly pile of rocks that doesnt allow the fish to swim through and create detritus traps. But the diversity griwn onto the dry with time. It cycles faster with live, and yes i remember my first live rock back in 2003 wrapped in newspaper and smelled like death.

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does make it a bit harder just because you don’t want to cover up the beauty of the LR while you stack. You have to choose your favorite side of each LR. Set aside the best looking LR in your order and put them in prime locations in your tank. Some mentioned earlier to use DR for base. I would just use Live Base Rock. It’s just as good as primo LR just not as good looking or covered in sea life.

Reefing102

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the live rock. If you’re hoping to keep most of the sponges and whatnot, best to scape underwater. I just stack my rock (no glue or anything). If you’re wanting more of a custom scape, as long as it’s kept wet, you can scape it out of water but you will likely loose most of the sponges (they’ll grow back…they always grow back lol) and some other organisms but your bacteria will still be fine (again if kept wet)

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely aquascaping with dry rock is easier than with live one. If elaborate aquascape is your aim then go for it. As a scuba diver I have rarely seen such an elaborate structures underwater like arches or pillars and I am quite satisfied with simple aquascape in my tank. However YMMV.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good luck with the rock from Gulf Liverock and KP Aquatics.
My friend ordered gulf live rock and he had the worst experience for some reason. He tried to cure it, and the whole room was smelling like rotten eggs, his water turned brown too and it was all messed up

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

SpSDrew

Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My friend ordered gulf live rock and he had the worst experience for some reason. He tried to cure it, and the whole room was smelling like rotten eggs, his water turned brown too and it was all messed up
I've placed 3 orders and never had issues but I did pay for the overnight shipping. I always "cure" it for at least 2 weeks in a rock tote before I put it into a system. If you do not overnight the rock, you will have a lot of die off and experience such smells.

arrow crab

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, I am afraid of that too; spending $500 for a 40 lb box of ocean death stink.

Edit: referring to "starter" live rock or anything shipped wrapped in paper. Shipped in water seems the way to go, but it's crazy expensive.

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on what you are after and your access to quality live rock.

I think quality live rock will seed your tank quickly and potentially offer beneficial micro and macro flora and fauna, the trade off is you may get undesirable flora and fauna as well, including pests.

Also if you want to make a structure that requires you to break apart and glue/epoxy the rock, live rock is sort of out (will need to be dry enough to glue/work with, potentially killing any benefits you paid extra for in the first place).

I prefer caribsea life rock (less ugly during the ugly stage), gorilla gel super glue, and purple epoxy. . . not the cheapest but. . . .

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order the less expensive base rock rather than the premium stuff. It has the bacteria, coralline, and critters, but not as much of the sponges, gorgonians, and colonial corals that are likely to die off. It will establish the tank well and you could add some premium rock later when the tank will support the more sensitive life.

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always got my LR from Gulf Live Rock. I watched the LR In separate smaller tanks for a couple of months. I moved 1-2 pieces of “cleared” LR as I felt necessary to DT.
B5851119-C596-460B-88E7-588AA7D96CE2.jpeg
501B34C9-0197-441F-9865-98C9344A11AA.jpeg
48592946-7096-4AC0-A96B-72874EB2CCA8.jpeg
You end up getting corals and other things on LR that you can’t find elsewhere. I think it’s even illegal to sell certain Gulf corals unless they are attached to legal LR.

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always got my LR from Gulf Live Rock. I watched the LR In separate smaller tanks for a couple of months. I moved 1-2 pieces of “cleared” LR as I felt necessary to DT. View attachment 3047111View attachment 3047112 View attachment 3047114You end up getting corals and other things on LR that you can’t find elsewhere. I think it’s even illegal to sell certain Gulf corals unless they are attached to legal LR.
*All this LR was shipped in wet paper towels/ newspaper

TnFishwater98

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*All this LR was shipped in wet paper towels/ newspaper
I was actually doing a little research on corals and how they used to ship them. I read in a couple of articles that scientists prefer their corals to be shipped out of water in damp conditions. They claim the water goes fowl first and starts to affect the corals. Corals can survive out of water for awhile as long as they stay damp and temps are steady. Anyone else have any info or facts on this?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back