Should I get dry or live rock for my new salt water aquarium?

Alice81216

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new tank like a week ago and I put reef sand and saltwater in my tank with a filter and I want to get a live rock or dry rock for my new aquarium I've never had a saltwater aquarium before so I want to know if live or dry rock is better for a beginner?

BeanAnimal

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used caribesea life rock for my redsea.its not live rock in any way shape or form & I'm highly dubious of the claims it contains any useful bacterial spores.cycling took a long time but I was in no rush.i favoured it purely because I liked the look & the only supply of live rock I could find in my somewhat rural location was from a very neglected tank & not worth the risk of critters & phos.if I had ideal scenarios I would have gone live rock but the caribesea gets compliments for its looks from the wife lol.
You will be fine - take your time and enjoy watching the tank mature. No matter which way you start, things take time and there will be setbacks. Part of dealing with those setbacks is learning how to maintain a healthy reef.

Upvote 0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Several posts have been removed. Please remember to abide by the TOS and if you have a problem with someone to report them to the mod team for review. Name calling, arguing and trolling one another will lead to account limitations. Thank you.

Upvote 0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Also let me add that debate and disagreement is welcome here but arguing, and belittling will not be tolerated. I have removed a few more posts as well and some of it contained some good info but was laced with offending comments. We appreciate you all being members here but R2R is not going to be a wild west of comments like other social media platforms. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Ryebreadiest

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I did when returning to the hobby last year was put 10 pounds of overnighted, shipped in water KP Aquatics live rock in my nano. Dipped the rock in 1.040 salt water to scare out any pests (just a pistol shrimp and a few brittle stars), put it in the tank, and had my first corals in a few days later.

With regular water changes I’ve never had diatoms, cyano, any algae of note, it’s been so smooth. I’ll be upgrading to a larger tank soon and plan on repeating the process.

Upvote 0

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back