Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a text that it's out for delivery! It's a Thanksgiving miracle!
matt czuchry conrad hawkins GIF by The Resident on FOX

Nutramar Foods

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I think about the average person in this hobby I think about greyish almost overweight man. If I look at your picture I can only discribe it as an ultra holy grail extravaganza. It’s nice to see this hobby keeps amazing me. Don’t get me wrong in here its about the hobby not the looks but as far as I can see you do great in that too.
Haha, well thank you kindly! :D

What did you order from Staten Island?

Im going to guess, something living.

I didn't order anything! I'm innocent. It's a care package! :D :D :D

fishguy242

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lubbock's fairy wrasse died last night, and I haven't seen my royal gramma or orchid dottyback this morning.

In addition to that, this cyano has choked out all of my birds nest corals. :(

Most of the corals are closed up and retracted right now. So are my anemones. There *is* less cyano today — I got the alkalinity up and did a 50% WC last night. I am going to use Chemi-Clean. Everything I need will be here by Wednesday. My nutrients are *not* out of control by any means, so I feel like it will take forever to get rid of it, and I don't want to lose any more corals or fish between now and whenever it finally dies off.

In the meanwhile, it's more siphoning, more water changes, more thoughts and prayers.

Neil Degrasse Tyson Cyanobacteria GIF by cosmosontv

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

brode

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Lubbock's fairy wrasse died last night, and I haven't seen my royal gramma or orchid dottyback this morning.

Most of the corals are closed up and retracted right now. So are my anemones. There *is* less cyano today — I got the alkalinity up and did a 50% WC last night. I am going to use Chemi-Clean. Everything I need will be here by Wednesday. My nutrients are *not* out of control by any means, so I feel like it will take forever to get rid of it, and I don't want to lose any more corals or fish between now and whenever it finally dies off.

In the meanwhile, it's more siphoning, more water changes, more thoughts and prayers.

When using Chemical clean do a half of dose 2 days apart. Then follow with a water change on the fourth day and run carbon after. I made the mistake of doing a full dose a few years back and lost half my corals in the old tank, had to do it again a few months back before the upgrade and split it like I said and everything lived.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using Chemical clean do a half of dose 2 days apart. Then follow with a water change on the fourth day and run carbon after. I made the mistake of doing a full dose a few years back and lost half my corals in the old tank, had to do it again a few months back before the upgrade and split it like I said and everything lived.
Thank you for the advice! I have tons of corals, and would be so sad to lose anymore. I'm so bummed about my birds nests.

Perfectly_Imperfekt1

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @kittenbritches , stumbled across your thread looking and reading thru RSR250 threads. Caught up on your thread, and thought this video maybe helpful with the cyno breakout, and the GHA in the other tank. The video is long but it's nice to recap on bacteria info and the outbreaks. Then valid ideas on treatments for your tank.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I think about the average person in this hobby I think about greyish almost overweight man. If I look at your picture I can only discribe it as an ultra holy grail extravaganza. It’s nice to see this hobby keeps amazing me. Don’t get me wrong in here its about the hobby not the looks but as far as I can see you do great in that too.
I’m more of a taupe.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ugh, girl, I'm so sorry!
Hope you are able to kick the cyano!!
I agree with the half doses of chemi clean 2 days apart.
Just keep an eye on your skimmer.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost three torches (two of which were gifts from William :( ), and five SPS corals, but I have almost beat the cyano. All of the corals that didn't die are opening back up and the LPS are starting to extend their polyps again.

It was the worst, most exhausting workday I have had in a while. My son had surgery yesterday and has needed me a lot today -- but everyone at work needed me, too. It's 6:25pm, and I'm ready for bed.

I hope y'all are doing well and bellyflopping into a big puddle of holiday cheer. xoxo

AquaCave Logo Banner
AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

NYOS
Back