+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to put this idea out there...

Many of us come here for advice on reefing, and there seems to be no end to the diversity in responses, this in itself is fine. But how is one to filter this mass of input? I'm not talking about weeding the good from the bad (there seems to be plenty of both), I'm looking for a way to sort out what could apply to mine (or your) particular situation. Most of us would agree there is more than one way to successfully run a reef tank, there has to be, there is more than one type of reef tank, right?

I suggest the idea that any advice to others comes with a recent picture of your reef tank.

If the tank looks like something I am striving for I can weight the advice appropriately. If the tank does not look like what I'm going for then I can weigh that advice appropriately. I believe all advice should be taken with a grain of salt, but how big is the grain?

Note: This is not my original idea... Thank You Richard Ross for being a voice of experience and reason in this hobby. Reef Beef!

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"badges, we don't need no stinking badges"

Just beware of the phot op tank, this is a tank where a bunch of money is thrown at it, it's put together beautifully, then they take some awesome pictures, then everything dies. You can see those tanks all over youtube.

!st: do your own dang research, I post many threads on the care of predatory fish and get tagged to answer the most basic questions, after they already have the fish and are behind the 8 ball.

Upvote 0

H@rry

Troll
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One situation is that something can work for one person and not for another. You can't automatically say that the advise was wrong, just that it didn't work for you.

Example: Ask how to eradicate Aiptasia. Many people will tell you to buy Peppermint Shrimp. I've tried them, bought them from several sources; but none of them touched my Aiptasia. That does not mean that it didn't work for others. The only thing I've found to combat Aiptasia is Kalkwasser Paste. I know that works (at least it works for me)

Another one: How do you get rid of bubble algae. People will tell you Emerald Crabs. I had a tank several years ago that was overrun with bubble algae. I bought a dozen Emerald Crabs. At night you could sometimes see a couple of them with a flashlight. One time I watched one with his elbow propped up on a bubble with he picked at the rock. Don't know what happened to the crabs. I think they ate each other. The only thing I've found to control Bubble Algae is FoxFace/Rabbit Fish.

Now I realize that some of the people giving that advise just read what somebody else said and parroted to appear knowledgeable but I know people who were successful using those methods. I'm just saying that what works for one person does not always work for another person. It's hard for a newbie to sort out the real information from the not so good. I would just look at how many posts a person has and how long they have been on this site. After a while the same people keep showing up and can probably be trusted to give good advice.

Upvote 0

MiniCoco

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to put this idea out there...

Many of us come here for advice on reefing, and there seems to be no end to the diversity in responses, this in itself is fine. But how is one to filter this mass of input? I'm not talking about weeding the good from the bad (there seems to be plenty of both), I'm looking for a way to sort out what could apply to mine (or your) particular situation. Most of us would agree there is more than one way to successfully run a reef tank, there has to be, there is more than one type of reef tank, right?

I suggest the idea that any advice to others comes with a recent picture of your reef tank.

If the tank looks like something I am striving for I can weight the advice appropriately. If the tank does not look like what I'm going for then I can weigh that advice appropriately. I believe all advice should be taken with a grain of salt, but how big is the grain?

Note: This is not my original idea... Thank You Richard Ross for being a voice of experience and reason in this hobby. Reef Beef!
While I fully understand your position and intent with such a query, I could not agree with your post. I want to be able to search for answers and determine for myself what responses are pertinent or helpful to not only a problem or challenge I may be going through reefing from as varied a population of opinions and experience as possible. Placing a requirement of posting pictures or proof of some success gives me a sense of an elitist point of view that frankly gives me a foul taste in my mouth so to speak. I choose to not post my reef and the reason for such a choice is none of your concern, but I do enjoy answering and sometimes contributing to the success of others in their personal journeys in this hobby. I personally have come a long way in learning what it is to be successful in reefing from someone who simply fell in love with the beauty and challenge that reefing provides well over thirty years ago. A picture does nothing to help continue the progress of ideas and new technologies and theories that this great hobby enjoyed. I hope my opinion is valued by some people even if I choose to not post pictures. In any event, happy reefing/aquarium keeping to one and all.

Upvote 0

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna need some sort of credentials to weed out all the poor opinions in this thread and figure out which advice is best… Anyone have any pictures of their official Forum Opinion With Live Responsibility (FOWLR) card?

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice that 95% of the people posting here are experienced or semi-experiened reefers? We all disagree with the OP. Maybe not 100%, but to an extent. I think because most of us think we give good advice and we also think other people do but not as good advice, or just flat out bad advice.

I think the OP's original post was just for newbies to weed through good and bad advice and how to do it.

There really is no great solution here. The best we can do as a group is to call out the bad advice and ask for research in why that advice was given. The problem with that is sometimes a mod has to step in because we are all passionate about is hobby and feelings get hurt when a person needs to defend there position. The thread a lot of times goes sideways.

Now that I just circled back to the start of the thread, I'll step down.
LOL

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone notice that 95% of the people posting here are experienced or semi-experiened reefers? We all disagree with the OP. Maybe not 100%, but to an extent. I think because most of us think we give good advice and we also think other people do but not as good advice, or just flat out bad advice.

I think the OP's original post was just for newbies to weed through good and bad advice and how to do it.

There really is no great solution here. The best we can do as a group is to call out the bad advice and ask for research in why that advice was given. The problem with that is sometimes a mod has to step in because we are all passionate about is hobby and feelings get hurt when a person needs to defend there position. The thread a lot of times goes sideways.

Now that I just circled back to the start of the thread, I'll step down.
LOL

I used to get into with bad advice, but now I think sometimes they are just trolls, because sometimes it's just that ludicrous. When the questions are so elementary I just say" click my name and find all threads" because I know they have done no research on their own. Now I will just post my opinion and try not to challenge someone else's, then allow the poster to do some work on their to sort it out.

Upvote 0

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree BUT....look at the current trend/insight/thread about biodiversity...dry rock vs something not dry.....are there solid scientific comparisons of what is the best way?

If I say go with live rock it worked for me and many others agree.....was it really the rock or something else like maintenance or other factors in my success? I can't link to a study that confirms my opinion.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree BUT....look at the current trend/insight/thread about biodiversity...dry rock vs something not dry.....are there solid scientific comparisons of what is the best way?

If I say go with live rock it worked for me and many others agree.....was it really the rock or something else like maintenance or other factors in my success? I can't link to a study that confirms my opinion.

You can say it worked for you, and that's a good start. But I can say I do not use live rock anymore because of the risk of dangerous hitchhikers, nuisance algaes including bubble algae, aiptasia, and they fact that many lfs will plumb their live rock into their fish systems which could also allow the transfer of fish disease. Then allow the poster to consider that, and make a decision on their own.

Upvote 0

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not saying that is not the case, just that at some point everyone was just starting out and quite frankly hopping on BRS and trying to figure out which return pump is best is overwhelming, much less getting into lights, filter media, etc.

I had no clue what I wanted for my tank’s setup until a couple months ago, then I had to go look up a sump. Lord knows I can’t figure out what my ideal fish stock list is, but I’ve been narrowing it down since starting.

I guess my point was just that there are legitimately 1 million ways to skin this cat and for me it took being in the hobby for several months to figure out how I wanted to do it
Nah BRS didn't exist in my time. Lot of trial and error, just was cheaper to break in to the hobby back then.

Upvote 0

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always PM me. Threads get buried so fast on this forum, no one replied to my latest build thread. It's on page one for roughly three seconds and PoOf, gone and replaced with "why isn't my tank cycled yet" threads.
Thank you if you could take at my last one I have hair line algae covered in red so im not sure how to take care of it my phosphates do get low

Upvote 0

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you if you could take at my last one I have hair line algae covered in red so im not sure how to take care of it my phosphates do get low
A lot of people here will tell you to reduce nutrients to starve out algae. That unfortunately doesn’t work well if you already have an algae problem and can take months or longer to resolve the problem that way. The reason is, if you try to starve that algae, it’ll die, but only a little bit at a time. This will cause nitrates and phosphates locked up in the tissue of the dying algae to be released back into the water, which pretty much immediately gets consumed by other living algae to stay alive. This is why I say mechanical removal is the best option no matter what it is. An organism can’t thrive if you relentlessly attack its population and will eventually be supplanted on the food chain by something you can’t remove as easily, usually bacteria and coralline algae which is what you want. The best way to go is remove the nuisance stuff from the rock/sand in whatever way you can (toothbrush FTW) and siphon out of the tank until it stops coming back. Algae and even dinos and cyano have all been resolved this way.

Upvote 0

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people here will tell you to reduce nutrients to starve out algae. That unfortunately doesn’t work well if you already have an algae problem and can take months or longer to resolve the problem that way. The reason is, if you try to starve that algae, it’ll die, but only a little bit at a time. This will cause nitrates and phosphates locked up in the tissue of the dying algae to be released back into the water, which pretty much immediately gets consumed by other living algae to stay alive. This is why I say mechanical removal is the best option no matter what it is. An organism can’t thrive if you relentlessly attack its population and will eventually be supplanted on the food chain by something you can’t remove as easily, usually bacteria and coralline algae which is what you want. The best way to go is remove the nuisance stuff from the rock/sand in whatever way you can (toothbrush FTW) and siphon out of the tank until it stops coming back. Algae and even dinos and cyano have all been resolved this way.
Yes the manual removal works great im having a weird issue with the hair algae is now covered in red what I believe is cyno

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that this thread has generated so much discussion, good points have been made on all sides.

And somehow I think it’s fitting that it has evolved to advise on algae control.

Here's another OPinion on algae, I have never seen the magnitude of algae that I see today because of one thing. The advent of led lighting, any old reefers should easily attest to that, anyone that has come along since the dominance of led lighting will fight me tooth and nail. Rather than to go into deep specifics, there are wavelengths of light frequencies that do and will feed everything from algaes to cyano. Read some science papers rather than opinions from hobbyists and you might understand. But it's really not as simple as one thing usually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another OPinion on algae, I have never seen the magnitude of algae that I see today because of one thing. The advent of led lighting, any old reefers should easily attest to that, anyone that has come along since the dominance of led lighting will fight me tooth and nail. Rather than to go into deep specifics, there are wavelengths of light frequencies that do and will feed everything from algaes to cyano. Read some science papers rather than opinions from hobbyists and you might understand. But it's really not as simple as one thing usually.
I had plenty of algae problems running 10,000k halides with PC actinics. I could throw up a pre led pic on my current system with loads of algae. It wasn't because of lighting.

Algae issues are a function of many things, but is usually due to improper filtration for the system, too much input, not enough output or conversion to biomass.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had plenty of algae problems running 10,000k halides with PC actinics. I could throw up a pre led pic on my current system with loads of algae. It wasn't because of lighting.

Algae issues are a function of many things, but is usually due to improper filtration for the system, too much input, not enough output or conversion to biomass.

Like I said my opinion, and my opinion also is to let the poster choose, they can research how certain wavelengths will fuel algae or not. And yes other inputs as well like nutrients, nitrates and phosphates, but also other chemistry like silicates. You see much more complicated than one simple answer. Simple point of reference for research, you will get enough red spectrum of light from what's included in the blues, overall corals do not need the addition of a stand alone red, red light spectrum scientifically will feed cyanobacteria, turn off your stand alone reds and it may help with cyano. There is also the imbalance of nitrtates to phosphates. A poster can expand on what I said, or ignore, it's up to them. Lower white spectrums will also feed algae, it's easy to verify, this alone isn't the perfect answer. And one refers experience isn't the answer, but maybe some research into the science rather than an experience may help.

Upvote 0

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have an idea for something we can do here where a posters tank info and photos, equipment, experience would available in one click (Been thinking about this for a while) Provided that they choose to participate. We could give a special recognition badge or name color to those that do. Then when someone offers advice anyone could do a quick click and see if the person has had success of their own.
Thats excellent! That's why I like this platform it's always improving, good idea!

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back