Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be the best method but it is successful if you know how to use it. Such blanket statements are misleading. Humble Fish has developed a protocol for disease treatment using Hydrogen Peroxide. You can read about it on his site or here on R2R possibly.

I have used proper U.V. to great effect across many situations making the success repeatable. Kind of like science but not in your view. U.V. is used for water purification even at the municipal level in water treatment plants to prevent waterborne disease. But it does not work in aquariums? It does not work unless the proper system, prefiltration, and pump rate is correct. A large number of public aquariums use them to great effect. Same applies to Ozone injection.
"Kind of like science but not in your view"
Kind of anecdotal evidence in my view. Information from experiments is considered valid if the same results can be repeated each time the experiment is performed.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Eric R.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be willing to be that, by far, the post hoc ergo propter hoc is the most common fallacy in the hobby, followed by appeal to nature or over relying on anecdotes.

Spare time beat me to it, but I saw that their post got no likes! So going to echo their answer (post hoc ergo propter hoc) and post a link to the first article in the skeptical reef keeping series, since it seems fitting.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spare time beat me to it, but I saw that their post got no likes! So going to echo their answer (post hoc ergo propter hoc) and post a link to the first article in the skeptical reef keeping series, since it seems fitting.

Thanks for sharing, that was a good read!

Avast

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That reefing is hard. Though a subjective statement, reefing has science in it, but doesn't take a scientist to be successful. I think most people willing to be patient and put work into their reefs will be successful. Reefing has something to offer everyone, but only if people are willing to commit to it.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be the best method but it is successful if you know how to use it. Such blanket statements are misleading. Humble Fish has developed a protocol for disease treatment using Hydrogen Peroxide. You can read about it on his site or here on R2R possibly.

I have used proper U.V. to great effect across many situations making the success repeatable. Kind of like science but not in your view. U.V. is used for water purification even at the municipal level in water treatment plants to prevent waterborne disease. But it does not work in aquariums? It does not work unless the proper system, prefiltration, and pump rate is correct. A large number of public aquariums use them to great effect. Same applies to Ozone injection.
Just googled "hydrogen peroxide for fish diseases" and humblefish's you tube comes up...then a paper from U of Fla. It's just another tool in the toolbox and may not work in certain applications. The peroxide I briefly worked around was the good stuff at 35 percent.

Nutramar Foods

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Kind of like science but not in your view"
Kind of anecdotal evidence in my view. Information from experiments is considered valid if the same results can be repeated each time the experiment is performed.
Funny how you pick and chose to support your bias. Just ignore the part about municipalities and public aquariums use of U.V. and attack the messenger hahaha!

snorklr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That you need to replace your heater every year because they fail so much.
obviously you dont...its much simpler to wait 2 years till they actually fail then run out frantically to buy whatever piece of crap petco/petsmart might have in stock if they're still open

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Join the movement!
Back