Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background- This is a Red Sea 425xl bought just over 3 years ago so just out warranty. The only issue is the left side of the front, the other seams are fine including the bottom which is where I have read about most failures.

IMG_0388.jpeg IMG_0392.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

WestMI-Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks bad to me. I see algae in between the panels where silicone is supposed to be.

Red Sea is gaining reputation for major tank failures (search this forum to find countless nightmare stories)

I would empty this right now and contact the manufacturer, but they aren’t replacing these tank typically. Check your stand as well. That’s actually where the failures are coming from, they sag in the middle which puts stress on the seams leading to failure.

Avast

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spy

great call I had my copy/paste button ready

we expect front panel middle seam issues in the pattern events, that's alongside the tank/nice detail find. I have no idea how that impacts seam integrity for any tank

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I withheld judgement to see what others might see (and post) as the last thing I want to do is offer a wrong opinion where a catastrophy is lurking.
I also see what @SpyC & @brandon429 observed, and still recommend that you plan to upgrade to an acrylic tank where it seems that seams don't fail that often.

I will also add that I have an acrylic tank that has had a leak/seam failure at the external overflow box. Of course it popped unexpectedly while I was traveling. My significant other came and patched it while my wife stood by in panic after she had tried some miracle underwater tape for leaks that Lowes recommended. That tape was hell trying to remove so I could brace and rebond an acrylic piece over the stress crack and stop the leak. The tank is still running, and it has another fault on the front corner panel that I noticed many years ago but have not bothered to fix. I mention all of this because acrylic does fail, but not as often as silicone ime. If you are worried about a tank I find it is impossible to enjoy a thing properly under those kinds of circumstances. The hobby has too many in tank issues with animals and plants to compound that with worry over a seam, imo.

I still hope it doesn't break and I hope you find help from the posts above, No one likes a tank fail story.

Nutramar Foods

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background- This is a Red Sea 425xl bought just over 3 years ago so just out warranty. The only issue is the left side of the front, the other seams are fine including the bottom which is where I have read about most failures.

View attachment 3128768 View attachment 3128769
The areas that I see (unless I'm misinterpreting it) - are areas where someone has gotten silicone away - due to a scraper, etc. I don't see any areas between the glass, etc - that are a problem - unless you could perhaps post another post with an arrow? There are several areas IMHO - where the silicone edges have been scraped away - which should not be a structural issue. That said - send the pictures to RedSea customer support. They will answer your question

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input to everyone so far, I’m attaching a short video to show the issue to make it more clear, I am going to drain just be safe
Unfortunately - some users (myself included) cannot see videos of this type on R2R. a post to YouTube would be better

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AFX
Back