Is it possible to have a successful reef tank without a sump?

What type of filter system do you run?

• HOB

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Sump

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • other if there are any

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
my tank has been running for 4 years now 65 gal. I have never gotten it to be under control EVER. It's always hair algae and high nitrates, I'm constantly trying to lower them however recently I've started doing 15 gal water changes. I've always run an HOB filter no skimmer no scrubber no refgugium. But that's all going to change. I'm ordering an icecap k-50 Seachem matrix purigen marineland floss and pure blue carbon then I will put some red macro algae into my filter with a light on it I am taking reccomendations for that. Is it possible for me to get successful with a HOB? Or do I have to switch to sump? Post pictures and explain your filter media if you are successful with HOB.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
my tank has been running for 4 years now. I have never gotten it to be under control EVER. It's always hair algae and high nitrates, I'm constantly trying to lower them however recently I've started doing 15 gal water changes. I've always run an HOB filter no skimmer no scrubber no refgugium. But that's all going to change. I'm ordering an icecap k-50 Seachem matrix purigen marineland floss and pure blue carbon then I will put some red macro algae into my filter with a light on it I am taking reccomendations for that. Is it possible for me to get successful with a HOB? Or do I have to switch to sump?
If ever there was an example of no sump being successful it’s the coral in a bowl setup

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer sumps but this system was run for 14 years with just a couple power heads and a couple air pumps (no sump, skimmer, refugium, reactors). The sailfin was 27 and the Naso was 16 when we lost them in the 2021 freeze in Texas.

Wow beautiful tank I'm sorry for your loss

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have sumps on all my tanks. It’s just my preference. One of them isn’t drilled, and uses a hang on overflow box. My LFS uses undergravel filtration. They have been using it for around 40 years. A sump isn’t required as long as maintenance is performed on time, imo.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run several tanks with no hob and no sump, just powerheads and regular water changes. No algae.

IMO the algae problem is on you, not because of a sump or hob equipment. Likewise, plenty of people that have sump's have an algae problem.

Can we see your tank? nitrate and phosphate level? How many fish and how often do you feed? What type of flow?

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I start doing weekly water changes? I never did anything like that to be honest. Ill be getting skimmer and refugium but what else can I do to starve algae and get my nitrates ti 15-25
Macro Algae will certainly consume Nitrates (and some Phosphates) how much it will consume is based on how much Macro Algae you can grow. You'll starve your corals before you ever starve algae. Manual removal and herbivores are the best weapon against algae. Water changes are a great part of nutrient export for any system sump or not, but in the end if your dumping in more nitrates than your export system can remove you will have a constant increase in nitrate.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run several tanks with no hob and no sump, just powerheads and regular water changes. No algae.

IMO the algae problem is on you, not because of a sump or hob equipment. Likewise, plenty of people that have sump's have an algae problem.

Can we see your tank? nitrate and phosphate level? How many fish and how often do you feed? What type of flow?
Ya I can get a video in a second. I've got two power heads one is a crappy marineland one I bought when I was a noob here it is below and another random one but its good. It gives a good flow. Im going to replace the bad one with a Nero or something.
1721049448746.png

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macro Algae will certainly consume Nitrates (and some Phosphates) how much it will consume is based on how much Macro Algae you can grow. You'll starve your corals before you ever starve algae. Manual removal and herbivores are the best weapon against algae. Water changes are a great part of nutrient export for any system sump or not, but in the end if your dumping in more nitrates than your export system can remove you will have a constant increase in nitrate.
Is it possible to not starve my coral?

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to give you an idea, my 40 breeder has 2 gyres, my 15 gallon softie tank has 2 sicce voyagers, even my seahorse tank has strong flow, strong flow is always underestimated in this hobby, but it helps tank health so much, and helps against algae.

The main thing is don't let food rot in the water, dissolved organics feed algae. Feed several times per day, but feed very carefully so that nothing is missed by the fish and is left to rot.

since you don't have a skimmer, do some water changes now to get the dissolved organics out of the water. Activated carbon also removes organics.

Start doing this, and with increased flow, you will see your tank change over the next months, the algae will turn white and die. Ya it takes a long time, but you learn the right habits so that algae doesn't grow back again.

And of course increase the grazing snails in the tank.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ever there was an example of no sump being successful it’s the coral in a bowl setup
I am growing SPS in a tank with no sump and no mechanical filtration.

OP, the biggest downside to no sump is that most HOB skimmers aren't great and are a leak risk without precautions being added.

My main tank runs no skimmer, no HOB, no sump. I have a low bioload (smaller fish only) and lots of flow. I do use a surface skimmer (the Eheim one).

The algae problem can be complex to figure out. Bump up your cleaning crew, weekly waterchanges, more careful feeding are some good all around first steps.

Next is dialing in photoperiod and lighting intensity and making sure your nutrient levels aren't outrageous.

Finally, accept that algae is normal and ok. If it's not harming your coral, then it's really just an aesthetic problem.

tank3.jpg

euphyllia.jpg

acans.jpg

bnest.jpg

NorthernReefer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 29 gallon is a little over 10 months old, First reef tank. I am still learning every day and admire all the people on here with amazing looking tanks, and all the experience I learn from this forum. I run HOB Equipment only for now, AC70 Filter with media basket (Floss, Carbon), Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer. I use a lot of Randy Holmes Farley DIY recipes for dosing helps a lot. I also use DIY Coral Snow from Sunnyx, works so well.
1000003436.jpg
1000003434.jpg

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
to give you an idea, my 40 breeder has 2 gyres, my 15 gallon softie tank has 2 sicce voyagers, even my seahorse tank has strong flow, strong flow is always underestimated in this hobby, but it helps tank health so much, and helps against algae.

The main thing is don't let food rot in the water, dissolved organics feed algae. Feed several times per day, but feed very carefully so that nothing is missed by the fish and is left to rot.

since you don't have a skimmer, do some water changes now to get the dissolved organics out of the water. Activated carbon also removes organics.

Start doing this, and with increased flow, you will see your tank change over the next months, the algae will turn white and die. Ya it takes a long time, but you learn the right habits so that algae doesn't grow back again.

I've been doing weekly 15 gallons changes. Plus aquavitro nitrate helper

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm completely changing my HOB media out thursday when it all gets here. After I change it out I will try to add macro algae. Is there anything I can do to not starve out my coral with the algae and instead starve the algae?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back