I want to rename this wrasse: the galaxy wrasse!

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really have a thing for what things are called, don't I?

Oh wow. Have you always been into naming/identifying as a kid?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. Have you always been into naming/identifying as a kid?
Hmmm... I think it's just my sense of humor. I'm very much into wordplay and thus concentrate a lot more on meaning of certain words. I'm the sort of person you shouldn't swear around because I will translate it into its literal meaning and toss it back at you.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the sort of person you shouldn't swear around because I will translate it into its literal meaning and toss it back at you.
I’m going to need an example, but preferably in pm. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

That’s pretty funny.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So both these dudes are credited with its discovery.
Screenshot_20240727-080155.png
Screenshot_20240727-080146.png

But I for one am fine dethroning Mr Neck beard.
Screenshot_20240727-080059 (1).png

But really Gaimard, Coris gamard gaimard!?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So both these dudes are credited with its discovery.
Screenshot_20240727-080155.png
Screenshot_20240727-080146.png

But I for one am fine dethroning Mr Neck beard.
Screenshot_20240727-080059 (1).png

But really Gaimard, Coris gamard gaimard!?
Gaimard is an intriguing looking person… looks like someone badly photoshopped a face onto the head.

Yes it should be “gaimardi” and I believe there is something about scientific names must follow proper naming conventions. Thus “gaimard” should be void and “Coris galaxea” should be the new name. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I mean at least they got it right with the “quoyi” parrotfish I guess

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gaimard is an intriguing looking person… looks like someone badly photoshopped a face onto the head.

Yes it should be “gaimardi” and I believe there is something about scientific names must follow proper naming conventions. Thus “gaimard” should be void and “Coris galaxea” should be the new name. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I mean at least they got it right with the “quoyi” parrotfish I guess
Yes it does look like he's wearing a mask of someone else's face. But Quoy seems to be forever smelling a fart. Poor fella

Rocky Mountain Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4772.jpeg

This is my Coris gaimard, or that’s the boring scientific name presumably named after some self-important scientist. Its common name in the hobby is the red coris wrasse, though outside of the hobby, it is often called the African or yellowtail coris wrasse.

Here is my old juvenile:
IMG_2331.jpeg

Here is another photo of my female:
IMG_4784.jpeg

Finally, here is a photo of a male from Google:
1722044910109.jpeg

I have issues with all of those common names.

Red Coris wrasse
So what’s the problem? Unlike the yellow and the green “coris” wrasse. This wrasse is, in fact, a Coris wrasse. So it’s good right?

Well is that fish red? No. It’s orange :face-with-tears-of-joy: Definitely orange. And I don’t think “orange Coris wrasse” rolls off the tongue. Also boring.

African Coris Wrasse
This is the range of Coris gaimard:
IMG_1217.jpeg

Can you spot the problem? There are many Coris wrasse in African waters. This is not one.

Yellowtail Coris wrasse
OK, this one does have a yellowtail once it becomes an adult, and for my galaxy wrasse argument to work, I can’t argue with that. But… a yellowtail is a common feature. In fact, there is at least one other Coris wrasse with a yellowtail. May I present Coris picta:

IMG_1218.png

How about a fun, creative name that actually mentions its most striking and unique feature? May I be so bold?

IMG_1222.jpeg
I love that idea....it's one of my favorite fish of all time. I've had several and need to get another soon. Love the adult coloration.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful fish!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now I want one...

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4772.jpeg

This is my Coris gaimard, or that’s the boring scientific name presumably named after some self-important scientist. Its common name in the hobby is the red coris wrasse, though outside of the hobby, it is often called the African or yellowtail coris wrasse.

Here is my old juvenile:
IMG_2331.jpeg

Here is another photo of my female:
IMG_4784.jpeg

Finally, here is a photo of a male from Google:
1722044910109.jpeg

I have issues with all of those common names.

Red Coris wrasse
So what’s the problem? Unlike the yellow and the green “coris” wrasse. This wrasse is, in fact, a Coris wrasse. So it’s good right?

Well is that fish red? No. It’s orange :face-with-tears-of-joy: Definitely orange. And I don’t think “orange Coris wrasse” rolls off the tongue. Also boring.

African Coris Wrasse
This is the range of Coris gaimard:
IMG_1217.jpeg

Can you spot the problem? There are many Coris wrasse in African waters. This is not one.

Yellowtail Coris wrasse
OK, this one does have a yellowtail once it becomes an adult, and for my galaxy wrasse argument to work, I can’t argue with that. But… a yellowtail is a common feature. In fact, there is at least one other Coris wrasse with a yellowtail. May I present Coris picta:

IMG_1218.png

How about a fun, creative name that actually mentions its most striking and unique feature? May I be so bold?

IMG_1222.jpeg
Referring to Joseph Paul Gaimard as "self-important" overlooks his significant contributions to marine biology and natural history, which have been valuable to scientific understanding. The naming of species after scientists like Gaimard honors their dedication and achievements in their fields.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Referring to Joseph Paul Gaimard as "self-important" overlooks his significant contributions to marine biology and natural history, which have been valuable to scientific understanding. The naming of species after scientists like Gaimard honors their dedication and achievements in their fields.
im just joking.:face-with-tears-of-joy:

I have no idea who Gaimard is though I would say I believe it should be Coris Gaimardi to adhere to naming conventions.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back