Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The KP Aquatics rocks you added to the tank....was this coming from your main tank or did you recently get this order? I ordered from KP Aquatics back in Jan and had to QT the rocks. I removed some bad critters and still have one left in my tank which I think is a Mantis. I have set traps and removed rocks trying to get it out. I had two fish disappear one after the other. I just added two more fishes yesterday. Let's see if they survive. One of your fish must have died and is polluting your water.
It was straight from the ocean (and a box) to my tank. I've only seen one questionable critter (and searched the tank at night with a red flashlight). But the Banggai was actually really small and I have searched all over for it (even moved the rocks). I have some BIG scarlet-legged hermits in the tank, and I think they made a quick meal of it. They also killed all of the brittle stars. I have seen a few crab corpses, so maybe their Battle Royale is part of the pollution problem. :(

The water still looks gross, but the glass isn't coated this morning. I'm hopeful the filters, skimmer, and UV sterilizer will at least keep it steady until I can do a WC tomorrow.

Top Shelf Aquatics

noopsyche

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wrong.

View attachment 2408735

I have nothing to gain by saying the fans are loud. Whether I got a faulty pair or am the only one who isn't afraid to tell the truth -- the fans are significantly louder than any of the other lights I currently have or have used in the past.

I have been in the same home for over a decade. I know what my quiet house sounds like. Stop trying to gaslight or otherwise blame me for my experience with your lights.
From 64db to 90db ? Pls record the video and post it.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 64db to 90db ? Pls record the video and post it.
90 dBA is the average sound of a construction site, not your lights. :rolleyes: Unless they're doing construction via pillowfight in your neck of the woods, it is outrageous to claim that 64 dBA is as loud as a construction site.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have I missed this thread? I have 5 of the Noopsyche lights over my tank and the fans are very noticeable, but to me they're not annoyingly loud. I would use a decibel meter on my phone but I'm still in the process of slowly ramping up my lights, so it's not a fair comparison until I get then up to a higher percentage.

Excellent write up on the lights though.
Yeah, I've made the same statement numerous times -- I'm just commenting on how loud/noticeable they are, because they ARE. I haven't said it's ruining my life or is even a deal-breaker. Their fans only have one speed, so whatever you're hearing now is what you'll hear forever.

The sound is surprisingly noticeable, but again, it's more of a white noise situation. It's not annoying the way a rattle or squeak would be. I am, however, extremely annoyed at the company's response -- and that is a deal-breaker for me.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've made the same statement numerous times -- I'm just commenting on how loud/noticeable they are, because they ARE. I haven't said it's ruining my life or is even a deal-breaker. Their fans only have one speed, so whatever you're hearing now is what you'll hear forever.

The sound is surprisingly noticeable, but again, it's more of a white noise situation. It's not annoying the way a rattle or squeak would be. I am, however, extremely annoyed at the company's response -- and that is a deal-breaker for me.
I was actually getting ready to ask if the fans ramp up and down or just one constant speed, I haven't paid enough attention to mine to know. Increasing the output may make a difference to overall noise for me because currently I never have the fans on all of the lights running at the same time.
I agree the fans are noticeable when they turn on. I don't mind the noise either, but to be fair I feel like I tolerate background noise better than many people and my hearing isn't the best. I could see how someone who wants a quiet environment would be displeased (not referring to you, just in general).

As for the companies response, I give them a lot of leniency because of the language barrier. I can say that I was dealing with an unrelated issue over the lights with them and they were great to deal with as far as I am concerned.

When I get home this evening I'll try seeing what how loud my lights are. I'm just curious how far away we're you when you checked it?

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually getting ready to ask if the fans ramp up and down or just one constant speed, I haven't paid enough attention to mine to know. Increasing the output may make a difference to overall noise for me because currently I never have the fans on all of the lights running at the same time.
I agree the fans are noticeable when they turn on. I don't mind the noise either, but to be fair I feel like I tolerate background noise better than many people and my hearing isn't the best. I could see how someone who wants a quiet environment would be displeased (not referring to you, just in general).

As for the companies response, I give them a lot of leniency because of the language barrier. I can say that I was dealing with an unrelated issue over the lights with them and they were great to deal with as far as I am concerned.

When I get home this evening I'll try seeing what how loud my lights are. I'm just curious how far away we're you when you checked it?
I did both decibel tests standing in front of the tank to eliminate sound pollution or ambient noise. I also did a sound recording from my bed whilst working yesterday (not measuring dBA) and the fans are the only thing you can hear.

/shrug

Nutramar Foods

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong.

View attachment 2408735

I have nothing to gain by saying the fans are loud. Whether I got a faulty pair or am the only one who isn't afraid to tell the truth -- the fans are significantly louder than any of the other lights I currently have or have used in the past.

I have been in the same home for over a decade. I know what my quiet house sounds like. Stop trying to gaslight or otherwise blame me for my experience with your lights.
All I have atm, since I have no db meter, cell phone dead.. Is my skimmer. I would range them at 50-55 with max power. Not at 64. Skimmer is still loud and over whelming to hear. I am not calling you a liar by any means. I just have other noise that is worse. My own experience. Now if I unplug the skimmer, I hear the lights like a noisy computer fan. Will borrow husbands phone and look for a sound test meter.

I already posted my skimmers db when I tested it. 64, closed doors. 72 open doors. :(

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have atm, since I have no db meter, cell phone dead.. Is my skimmer. I would range them at 50-55 with max power. Not at 64. Skimmer is still loud and over whelming to hear. I am not calling you a liar by any means. I just have other noise that is worse. My own experience. Now if I unplug the skimmer, I hear the lights like a noisy computer fan. Will borrow husbands phone and look for a sound test meter.
Yeah, my tank that's downstairs also has various noises (hum of pumps, slosh of water, and yes, even the sound of the very quiet fans), but there's also a lot more going on down here, to include TV, traffic, an energetic preschooler, and my ridiculous cold air intake which sounds like a jet plane. The only noise that bothers me on the RSR is when the water level in the overflow gets too high (the return valve is fickle as a feather) causing a gurgling/draining sound.

The sound of the NP fans doesn't bother me, but it might bother some. I'm peeved by NP acting shocked that their cheap fans aren't whisper-quiet and trying to pin it on me and my delicate ears, inattention to my environment since 2011, or my basis for comparison. That is ****** customer service, IMO, and I didn't even reach out asking them to remedy anything.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sound of the NP fans doesn't bother me, but it might bother some. I'm peeved by NP acting shocked that their cheap fans aren't whisper-silent and trying to pin it on me and my delicate ears, inattention to my environment since 2011, or my basis for comparison. That is ****** customer service, IMO, and I didn't even reach out asking them to remedy anything.
You can be all the peeved you want! I will just get a meter out and see if my skimmer killed my hearing. I may need to buy a new one. Seriously.
Or it's having a dog and a baby competing on who can be most loud.... I don't know anymore

Top Shelf Aquatics

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up! Interesting about the fans, but it is what it is.

I wonder how they’ll grow things long term. And if the increase in price is really justified. It’s no matter to me in any case as I know what light I’ll going to use on my build.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my tank that's downstairs also has various noises (hum of pumps, slosh of water, and yes, even the sound of the very quiet fans), but there's also a lot more going on down here, to include TV, traffic, an energetic preschooler, and my ridiculous cold air intake which sounds like a jet plane. The only noise that bothers me on the RSR is when the water level in the overflow gets too high (the return valve is fickle as a feather) causing a gurgling/draining sound.

The sound of the NP fans doesn't bother me, but it might bother some. I'm peeved by NP acting shocked that their cheap fans aren't whisper-silent and trying to pin it on me and my delicate ears, inattention to my environment since 2011, or my basis for comparison. That is ****** customer service, IMO, and I didn't even reach out asking them to remedy anything.
I bet giving you a set of lights to test is not working out they way they had hoped. Good job on giving an unbiased review.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good write up! Interesting about the fans, but it is what it is.

I wonder how they’ll grow things long term. And if the increase in price is really justified. It’s no matter to me in any case as I know what light I’ll going to use on my build.
I'm interested to see how my corals grow under their lights. I have a few similar SPS in my RSR that were purchased at the same time as the corals in this build, so I'll be able to do a direct comparison. I'm really happy with my Maxspect light, and prefer how my corals look under it. The ruler won't lie, though. ;)

Top Shelf Aquatics

BeltedCoyote

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested to see how my corals grow under their lights. I have a few similar SPS in my RSR that were purchased at the same time as the corals in this build, so I'll be able to do a direct comparison. I'm really happy with my Maxspect light, and prefer how my corals look under it. The ruler won't lie, though. ;)

that should prove quite interesting. And more accurate considering you essentially have a control group with which to compare the new data.

as for me, I’m going with the photon v2 pro. One light for the entirety of my 4ft tank is such a sublime thing for me.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as for me, I’m going with the photon v2 pro. One light for the entirety of my 4ft tank is such a sublime thing for me.
I haven't heard much about the Photons, but they look pretty slick. I'll have to keep an eye out to see how yours do. :)

I do love having one fixture for the tank, too.

BeltedCoyote

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard much about the Photons, but they look pretty slick. I'll have to keep an eye out to see how yours do. :)

I do love having one fixture for the tank, too.

everyone ive seen who uses or has used it really liked it. Definitely can grow coral. And there’s a nice warranty too.

also, as a self-confessed nerd, I dig the name “photon” for a light lol

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone ive seen who uses or has used it really liked it. Definitely can grow coral. And there’s a nice warranty too.

also, as a self-confessed nerd, I dig the name “photon” for a light lol
I'm also a huge nerd, and I can dig it. LOL. I was trying to remember what product I've had that was called "Photon." I think it might have been a phone...

the nightmare before christmas thinking GIF

BeltedCoyote

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also a huge nerd, and I can dig it. LOL. I was trying to remember what product I've had that was called "Photon." I think it might have been a phone...

the nightmare before christmas thinking GIF

yeah I have a very vague memory of something being called the “photon”. I want to say it was a sharper image thing?

anyway, enough derailment. I have my own build for that!

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a Motorola phone that was a photon. It was one of those stupid ones that slid open to reveal a keyboard I believe.
I think I did have the Motorola Photon about a decade ago. I want to say it was a Sprint exclusive or something. I don't think it was a sliding keyboard, though.

Yep -- I just remembered! I dropped it up in the mountains two days after I got it, shattering the screen. It cut the crap out of my finger until I could get it fixed.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOU GUYS. OH MY GOD.

I feel like I just walked in on a crime scene. :eek:

I switched the whisper-quiet NPs to SPS mode (I had them on manual UV 75%, Blue 25% to not feed the algae) because I couldn't find my surviving Banggai cardinalfish. The pictures under this light thus far mostly look like they were shot on a Motorola Photon, so forgive the quality...

Dead Banggai.jpg

He was straight-up murdered by these hermits.

It gets worse...

Dead Hermit and Urchin.jpg

Dead Urchins with their Killer.jpg

Dead Hermit.jpg

This hermit is literally eating this urchin alive. :mad: It's the only one that has any spines left, and they were slowly wiggling.

I've gotta get these crabs out of here. What should I do with them?? This is terrible.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back